How large of a trailer can I tow? - Page 4 - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

How large of a trailer can I tow?

Old 05-20-2004, 05:19 AM   #46  

Quote:
Originally posted by 1leg
Guys, I wasn't trying to bash anyone, infact i'm trying to get in this busness myself. I agree with everything you are saying. my comment was really geared to the RV type drivers. like I said I have no idea of the outcome of the case I stated, But i know and you can all agree that he was way over weight for a half ton truck. I see a lot of this on the road here in Socal. The other day i was in the number 2 lane doing 70mph and a guy towing a triple axle 30ft+ toy hauler with his bed full of camping gear, passed me on the right like i was standing still. it's insane what some of these RV's are doing. I know not all rv's are this way BUt you wouldn't know it driving around in socal on a Friday night.

Sorry guys, keep trucking
Well I guess I am one of those rv drivers and yes I have hit 80+ mph. Handles great if you don't like it move over.
rvnagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 07:32 AM   #47  

Quote:
Every hot shot i've seen aound here have all been 3500s or bigger(f450-F550), never seen one with more then 3 cars on it either.
Drop on down here to Texas. You can find 3/4 ton trucks carrying Texas apportioned tags paid up for 39,999 lbs everywhere. They pull into our facility to load up 20,000+ lb. compressor cylinders, etc. all the time. Heck, my cousin even runs one.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 10:28 AM   #48  

When you blow a tire at 80mph and kill everyone but yourself, i'm sure your going to sue the tire manf, And win.

good luck
1leg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 10:47 AM   #49  

Quote:
When you blow a tire at 80mph and kill everyone but yourself, i'm sure your going to sue the tire manf, And win.

good luck
Edit: Oops, sorry, I think you were addressing the post up above mine about the RV running 80 MPH. Better have Michelin XPS Ribs on the 5th wheel (I do!)

Rusty
Old 05-20-2004, 10:48 AM   #50  

There are 3 types of people in this world:

1. Those that learn by reading.
2. Those that learn from others mistakes.
3. Those that have to grab the electic fence to see how if it really works.
Palmetto_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 10:51 AM   #51  

Quote:
Originally posted by Palmetto_kid
There are 3 types of people in this world:

1. Those that learn by reading.
2. Those that learn from others mistakes.
3. Those that have to grab the electic fence to see how if it really works.
Well, there's really one more that worries me:

4. Those who accidently learn how things work when they just happen to stop and urinate on the electric fence.

Rusty
Old 05-20-2004, 10:56 AM   #52  

I thought #3 covered that, but I should have expected a response like that from an ENGINEER! lol................ jk
Old 05-20-2004, 10:58 AM   #53  

Quote:
Originally posted by Palmetto_kid
I thought #3 covered that, but I should have expected a response like that from an ENGINEER! lol................ jk
Well, the way I interpreted it, #3 was someone who really wanted to know and grabbed the fence intentionally. #4 is someone who doesn't care how it works but finds out unintentionally, to his detriment!

Rusty
Old 05-20-2004, 10:59 AM   #54  

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
ddestruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 01:47 PM   #55  

Some engineers do a study on the conductivity of barbed wire, the voltage, amperage, but while making the decision on weather to wiss on it, they wet their pants, cause nature took its course. Some engineers also get the firm opinion that they know all the answers, they are so much above us common people. Us common people just grab the wire and say "hey that thing has electricity" better pee on the tree.

Rusty, I would make you a bet, my truck with 30,000 gross is better handling, safer, and stops better than your technically perfect rig. Yours is as most RV's, top heavy, affected unsafely by wind, and has less braking than mine with three cars on it.

Most RV's also run too light a proportional hitch weight and you probably have the kingpin centered on the rear axle, cause the engineers at Dodge said that is right. I set mine up right for proper handling and the loaded weights are proportionally less than an 18 wheeler with an 80,000 gross weight.

A Ford F250 is a lighter truck than a F350. The Dodge second gen is the same truck, 2500 and 3500 except for the dual wheels. I added dual wheels, proper weight proportion for the loads and have the brakes on the trailer to stop it.

Anyone who ever drove a truck on the road knows that an empty truck, or a light truck is dangerous, having the same bulk. I feel much safer than most RVs out there swaying with the wind. My truck would be absolutely spooky with a cab over camper of any weight, which is what the specs are for. As a tractor it complies with the law and practical weight carrying.

Contrary to some posts you have made, any shop can and do, upgrade the spec plate on the door for the purposes that the truck is set up. It is called a re-manufacturer sticker and is legal. Combination weight supersedes the gross weight which is dead weight on the truck chassis. Do you really think that it would be legal for hot shot if it was considered unsafe by the FMCSA and worse the insurance companies?

You go an buy a single axle chassis cab, with a 19,000 pound rear axle. You add a tag axle and equip it with a fifth wheel and trailer brake capabilities. The original 20,000 gvw plate is still on the door, but you add a reman sticker showing the current capacity which is now about 30,000 GVW and now it has a 80,000 GCWR. You pick up a load that is legal at 105,000 and legally pull it. It is no different with the small trucks.

If you want to find out about trucks, go to an attorney that works with them, your civil attorney has no idea what he is talking about. And really neither do you. So why even bother with this post, because unknowledgable people such as yourself keep the public all upset at us common people out there just trying to safely make a living. You are probably a good engineer, but you don't know squat about trucks and should stay in your field when making recommendations to others. If you want to know more, stop at any truck stop and purchase a $5.00 FMCSA safety manual.
Haulin_in_Dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 02:01 PM   #56  

Yep, the laws of physics, principles of material science, statics and dynamics, thermodynamics, etc. are obviously only of interest to us ignorant, know-nothing engineers. There are a lot of unmodified F-250s and 2500s around here pulling 40' goosenecks and running at 2.5 times the kinetic energy at a given speed than the truck designers' original specification. That's an immutable fact, and that's what a civil court will consider.

By the way, my rig handles just fine, thanks. The centerline of my 5th wheel hitch is adjustable, and I run the kingpin about 3" ahead of the rear axle - any more than that crowds my front GAWR with my family in the truck.

You have a nice day too, now.

Rusty
Old 05-20-2004, 02:32 PM   #57  

My cousin is a mechanical engineer, he never did figure out how to change a flat, but he does know the theory behind it.

Ever wonder why Haulin stopped at 33,000 lbs? That's close to the safe and legal limits of a Dodge 3500.

My truck handles the same whether I haul 1 car or 3 cars, just a little slower pulling out.

I just got back from Moab, and other than 1 a#$hole trucker, most of the idiots were driving cars. The RVers are mostly older folks, driving too slow.
RickCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 02:39 PM   #58  

Quote:
Originally posted by RickCJ
My cousin is a mechanical engineer, he never did figure out how to change a flat, but he does know the theory behind it.
That's your cousin's loss. I've been pulling my own wrenches since I was 8 years old when I got my Simplex Automatic (let's see how many even know what that was). That was 48 years ago.
Quote:
The RVers are mostly older folks, driving too slow.
You might want to check my signature again. My truck is just a puny old 5th wheel puller, but with 347 BHP and 762 lb-ft torque, I've never been accused of holding up traffic.

Rusty
Old 05-20-2004, 02:43 PM   #59  

So its a fact that a 2500 can be legal to haul the same loads a 3500 can.

But, Legal & Safety are 2 different animals. Just because something is legal does not make it safe.

Now, HID. I agree with you. YOu have all your ducks in a row, and are not an unsafe driver. But, technically your 2500 is a 3500. So, its all good.

Now, Russ, I agree with you too. These guys running around in these SRW 2500's are not safe. THey may be legal somehow, but they are in no manner safe.

I have towed heavy on many occasions, and I know other truck drivers will agree that a 3500 DRW is allot safer than a 2500. Your always gonna have your accidents, and most of the time its the drives fault more than his rig.

I think thats what it pretty much boils down to.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:41 AM   #60  

Palmetto, I disagree! I've got a 2500 single wheel. At 28000lbs. gross I have 4800 +/- 50lbs. on the front axle, 6000 +/- 100lbs. on the rear axle and 17000 +/- 1000lbs. on the trailer. My E rated tires are 3450lbs. each that is safe for 6900lbs. on the rear axle. I am 1000lbs. under manf. spec. My trailer is rated for 20000lbs. My truck has good brakes my trailer has **** good brakes I can controlably (sic) stop as well and most of the time better than any 18 wheeler. So I guess what I am wondering is where you guys get off saying I'm not safe? I'm alot safer than the vacationers that pull the ole fiver out a couple of times a year just in time to gripe about those guys overloading their trucks out on the roads trying to kill somebody because they are to cheap to by real equipment to pull those trailers. I see many RVers pulling tag trailers and fivers with 1/2 ton trucks their bumpers dragging the road I usually see them when they do something stupid and almost kills me or someone else! So guys because your scared to use you trucks for the purpose they are made don't throw off on those of us that do use them for a living. If I felt I was unsafe I would be the first to pull off the road I love me to much to hurt myself!
Barry Smith is offline   Reply With Quote