How large of a trailer can I tow? - Page 2 - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

How large of a trailer can I tow?

Old 05-07-2004, 06:42 PM   #16

Pappyman, my state NV offers a non comercial class a. Strange part is , as far as I know its only for semi tractors operating privatly. I say that because they have a "J" and "R" endorsement for pickups pulling over 10000 lbs and up to 70 ft in lenght.....The over 10000 endorsement does not stop at 26000 according to what I have read. It seems explicitly for pick ups rather then tractors.
1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 06:42 PM   #17

The trailer I'm looking at is a 36' 5th wheel stacker to carry two racecars.

I'll have 3 7,000# axles so the trailer will be rated for 21,000#. Both racecars are 65 Coronet. One is a 2800# Nostalgia Super Stocker A/NSS and the other is a 3700# bracket car. The trailer will be quite heavy -- but I'll be just under the 21000# with the trailer, two cars and equipment.

BIg Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 06:52 PM   #18

You mean Goose neck right? I don t think 5th hitches even go that high?

Thats about 28 ft of floor right?

BTW nice cars.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:02 PM   #19

yup 28' of floor -- but most likely a fifth-wheel and not gooseneck.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:56 PM   #20

The troopers are looking for people that are hauling without paying for a weighted tag. Just make sure that each axle is not overweight, they can ticket you for that, but they do not know what the gcwr is, and most trucks the gvwr is on the door, but not the combined weight, so as long as you dirtibute it properly, you will be ok.
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 09:47 AM   #21

If the trailer is going to run a GVW of 21,000 lbs, you'll certainly be over 26,001 lbs GCW. At 26,001 lbs and running race cars for prize money, many states say you're hauling commercial. This makes it a whole different ball game!

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 10:14 AM   #22

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Quote:
Originally posted by horselady
The troopers are looking for people that are hauling without paying for a weighted tag. Just make sure that each axle is not overweight, they can ticket you for that, but they do not know what the gcwr is, and most trucks the gvwr is on the door, but not the combined weight, so as long as you dirtibute it properly, you will be ok.

They are required in thier training to know where your door tag is, thee fact is that GCVWR's from the factory are not relivent. If they were every tractor trailer driver who hauls duobles, or spread axles that are in excess of 80k would be shut down. Thier door tag says 80k gcvwr.

Max wieght is based on physics, distance and lbs per axle, meaning that you can only bridge spread so much wight over any distance and a given numebr of axles before ione of those axles will be baring too much weight.

As to the Rest get your CDL and pay the taxes, sounds like you're going to be butting in on DOT territory
ddestruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 11:10 AM   #23

I would bet a 32 ft stacker will be lighter then my trailer......so the loaded weight with those cars will be a tad less......plus I haul a 450lb quad and some lounge stuff.......under 26000..GCVW.....total. Around 23000 to 25500 basically and my truck is probably heavier too. I do keep junk to a bare minimum.

I would guess that it would go in around 21-23k gcvw. My only concern would be a single rear wheel if its not a duallie, and the tire loads then.

Find out the trailer weight, probably 7500 to 8500?

Don t most 5 th hitches only rate to 16k? So why would they build a trailer with a gvw at 20-21 and put a 5th hitch on on instead of a GN? I don t know why a 5th hitch even exists, I can t see why a GN would have a down side in comparison?
Old 05-10-2004, 11:20 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally posted by 1320
Don t most 5 th hitches only rate to 16k? So why would they build a trailer with a gvw at 20-21 and put a 5th hitch on on instead of a GN? I don t know why a 5th hitch even exists, I can t see why a GN would have a down side in comparison?
Reese builds a 30K 5th wheel hitch. Here's some text from their website:

Quote:
The new 30K 5th Wheel from Reese provides a big, 30,000 lb. towing capacity. Clearances are designed to permit the use of the Reese Gooseneck Hitch in conjunction with. The front to rear tilt capability enables easy hook-up on uneven ground. The lowprofile design can be vertically adjusted 3" to permit level trailering. Featuring the Reese exclusive new side-to-side rocker design for smooth trailering. Build for serious trailering; especially designed for use on medium duty conversion trucks.
Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 12:43 PM   #25

5th wheel hitches are available in the higher ratings they just cost more. 5th wheels are easier to hook and unhook with 1 person and are lots more stable at highway speeds with tall trailers. Goosenecks are for farm trailers that see lots off road twisting and turning. Horse/cattle trailers and bobcat/tractor trailers for ex. Try to keep under 26,000 and avoid the hassles.
RickCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 02:38 PM   #26

Just another thought to throw in the mix here !!!!!

If you are over the 26k limit, have to license the vehicle Commercial, and it's a 3500 Dually, then you should also contact the state about getting a "Fuel Permit".

I know when I was coming back into my state (Arizona) pulling my snowcat with my 2500, we were stopped at the DOT border inspection weigh station. Didn't have any problem with the weight or weight distribution on the unit, But they wanted to know if I had a fuel permit ????

Finally, one of the more knowledeable inspectors stated that a 2500 (3/4 ton) didn't need one, but a 3500 (1 ton) did need one !!!!!

Just letting you know what they told me........
waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 04:02 PM   #27

What is a "fuel permit" ?
Moose10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 05:37 PM   #28

Yup -- I'm a dually

I'll check the link for 5th wheels.

Thanx
Old 05-10-2004, 05:44 PM   #29

Quote:
Fold Down Gooseneck

Designed to allow full access to truck bed when not in use. Simply pull up on the access plate ring to activate the REESE Gooseneck. This will automatically raise the hitch ball. The plate can then be lowered, locking the ball in place. The new under the bed design of this Gooseneck includes all the features of the current goose from Reese. A plastic trim ring feature makes the unit virtually flush. Installation instructions include a template for cutting the bed.

Step 1 Step 2 Step 3 Bottom View

Fold-down design allows full use of the truck bed when the hitch is not in use
Rated for 25K gross trailer weight, 6,250 lbs. vertical load
Integrated drop-down, spring-loaded safety chain loops
Heat-treated 2-5/16" chrome ball
Top plate and substructure are made with 3/8" thick steel
Wider top plate footprint projects greater strength and stability
Large pull ring allows user to pull up access plate while wearing gloves
Zerk fitting is visible and easily accessible
I'm thinking of going with their (Reese) 25K gooseneck that flips under the bed when not needed.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:43 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally posted by ddestruel
They are required in thier training to know where your door tag is, thee fact is that GCVWR's from the factory are not relivent. If they were every tractor trailer driver who hauls duobles, or spread axles that are in excess of 80k would be shut down. Thier door tag says 80k gcvwr.

Max wieght is based on physics, distance and lbs per axle, meaning that you can only bridge spread so much wight over any distance and a given numebr of axles before ione of those axles will be baring too much weight.

As to the Rest get your CDL and pay the taxes, sounds like you're going to be butting in on DOT territory
What I said is that the GVWR is always on the door, as is the rating for each axle, but the GCWR is not printed on the door jamb of any truck that I have owned yet, so the factory towing rating is not there. The rating is usually based on the worst possible senario, with about 25% of the trailer weight on the front, so if you reduce this percentage and let the trailer axles carry even a little more of the weight, you can tow a heavier load without overloading the axles. I am in the tractor trailer industry, and you can do a lot by sliding the fith wheel and sliding the tandoms to redistribute the weight better, it can mean the difference between getting an over weight ticket or not. It may not work that way with a formula out of a physics book, but I can tell you from real world experience that it does work.
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote