Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Gooseneck adapter

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 07:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gooseneck adapter

My truck has a gooseneck ball in it and the RV shop mentioned that they have an adapter that bolts the the 5th wheel pin and connects to my ball that will work on trailers up to 30'. I like the idea, hase anyone here used one?
Old 01-21-2006, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They do indeed work and some work to well and cause structual damage to some trailers. I would suggest to consult with your trailers mfg. and ask them if they recommend it. I would highly recommend not asking your local RV dealer or local trailer supply company but again check with the original mfg of the trailer. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 01-25-2006, 01:08 PM

I just went through this ordeal with my dealer after purchasing a new 5th wheel. Since it had a B&W GN already in the bed when I bought the truck, they suggested an adapter on the pinbox. I said that if they thought that was the best way to go, then do it. I posted my new purchase on another board and someone suggested I check my warranty papers. I did and found that it seemed to indicate it was not covered. A call to the manufacturer informed me that it would void the warranty on the entire trailer.

Called my trailer dealer and informed them of my findings. They verified it and scheduled a removal of my GN hitch and the installation of a new 16k Reese. I removed the adapter from the pinbox and pulled the trailer back to them to replace the pinbox, since they had drilled it to install the adapter. I discoverd AFTER all this work was done that all they had to do was get the 'Companion Hitch' from B&W and no other mods had to be performed. It drops right into the Turnoverball socket and is simply adjusted for height. 1 hour of assembly and 5 minutes to adjust it. I was furious at their incompetence and my own ignorance. Check out the B&W website to see how this ingenious hitch works.

I kept the B&W and intend to remove the Reese and sell it, have the bed sprayed to replace my sliced up brand new bedliner, reinstall the GN hitch and buy the Companion. Oh yeah, the Companion Hitch is rated higher on all counts and costs no more than a new 16k Reese.

Live and Learn.

Jack
Old 01-28-2006, 11:21 PM

I ruined a 5er with one of those things! Craig
Old 01-29-2006, 01:03 AM

The Local RV Dealer here is very well known and sells many RV's. The owner is also a fellow rider that i go with. He uses GN adapters on new trailers if he wants room in the bed without the FW hitch. He says he has never had a problem before, even pulling a 42ft toybox
Old 01-29-2006, 05:08 AM
Administrator

Drop that GN trailer down on the hitch and rock the front of the trailer once. That is what you will be doing to your 5'er. Need I say more?
Old 01-29-2006, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by StrokeThisCTD
The Local RV Dealer here is very well known and sells many RV's. The owner is also a fellow rider that i go with. He uses GN adapters on new trailers if he wants room in the bed without the FW hitch. He says he has never had a problem before, even pulling a 42ft toybox
Just check the warranty exclusions on whatever you own or are buying. If the manufacturer has no problem, then go with it, I have no particular axe to grind. I just don't want to see a fellow RV'er get buried with warranty issues. My manufacturer expressly forbids it.............period. Many others do as well.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very few (if any) RV manufacturers will warrant the use of a gooseneck adapter. Quite a few individuals have torn up 5th wheel frames using them. Others haven't. It's sort of like the line from Dirty Harry - "Well, do you feel lucky today?"

Caveat emptor.

Rusty
Old 01-29-2006, 10:29 AM

Just reading this makes me wonder if RV mfgs would be able to add some additional cost to the trailer and put it on a frame that is GN safe? I would think a lot of people would pay a little extra to have their trailer GN instead of 5er..... Just a thought.....
Old 01-29-2006, 11:12 AM
Banned

To build the RV's with a strong enough frame to handle the twisting of the Gooseneck would add a considerable amount of weight. In this world every pound counts.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:29 AM

I had this same dilema about 2 yrs ago..GN or 5th wheel? I already had the B&W in so I bought the Companion Hitch for it. I love it. Just don't use grease on it, get the teflon pad, or you get grease on everything while camping!

The Companion is very stable w/its little shock absorbers to stop side sway. You would be surprised what has stayed on the counter tops at 75 mph.lol
Old 01-30-2006, 08:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by durasmack
Just reading this makes me wonder if RV mfgs would be able to add some additional cost to the trailer and put it on a frame that is GN safe?
When we investigated this over on iRV2.com, several manufacturers said that they would build a gooseneck version of their RVs by custom order.

Rusty
Old 01-30-2006, 09:08 AM

Hey guys as I mentiond to him above just check with the mfg as on some it will work, I have a neighbor who has had one on a carrie lite brand for over 20 years and the trailer has gone to Alaska every year and all over the US as he works out of it and he has had no problems whatsoever. I have torn into some Fifth wheels and some are just to weak and some would not have any trouble at all. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 01-30-2006, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by RustyJC
When we investigated this over on iRV2.com, several manufacturers said that they would build a gooseneck version of their RVs by custom order.

Rusty
We have a Haul-Mark 40's box at work...Came with interchangeable boxes...Ones a kingpin, the other a goose...Just bolt up whatever we needed....For some strange reason they went 5'er