Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

downshifting instead of braking

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:downshifting instead of braking

Peter had great info and pics.<br><br>I down shift all the time.<br>I really didn't want to bring this thread back to life but I wanted to provide my personal info about my clutch and my dad's. <br><br>@ 120,000 lost 5th gear. Had Blumenthals install 6 speed and a 3 tab ceramic clutch set from SBC, (on 11/6/2000) which at the time was the only clutch available with this conversion, I believe. 70k later about 6months the center spline rung loose. <br>This 3 tab clutch was very grabby, and with loads of 15k to 24k GVW and tall gears (3.54) it made starting out very troublesome (lot's of hopping). I feared this would take a toll on the driveline but I have not had to replace a u-joint.<br><br>So I paid for a new clutch.pp.bearing. That was on May 14th 2002 and 190K. I now have 250+k. The new clutch material is much better suited and puts less strain on the drivetrain with it's better ability to slip. I know sliipage is not good but there has too be some. <br><br>My dad (99 3500) lost 5th gear @ 110k. 1 month before me. He had 6 sp. conversion done also and he wrung the whole center out of his clutch about 2 months before me. He had driven less than 40k miles. The rivets that hold the plate that holds the springs were all bent out of line at least 3/8&quot; and some were broke, some of the springs were just about too fall out.<br>It was at this time we were told by the Owner of Blumenthals that the 3 tab ceramic was not being used anymore due to this problem. <br>Since this took place in late 2000, we were told that we were some of the first trucks to have this conversion/clutch type conversion done from Blumenthals. I don't know if that is true or not but I would have think so as it was in the begining of the new era of the 24V and the NV5600. <br><br>Although my clutch breakage was not as severe as my dad's I pulled more weight more often than he. We pondered and discussed the extereme amount of pressure the clutch and pressure plate takes from the torque the detuned cummins engine produces and ours are just stock!<br><br>With the fact's and details said, I was surely thinking that there would be some kind of warranty or reinbursement from SBC related to the 3 tab ceramic clutch problems and the minimal milage on our clutches but there was none.<br><br>I didn't write this to scrutinize SBC at all but merely as information about our situation that I felt needed to be shared with others.<br><br>BTW, The NV5600 conversion with the SBC is awesome.<br><br>I really believe a clutch should last longer than 100k on a stock truck when driven properly and not abused or overloaded and I am hoping that this new one does! <br><br>So Peter, how about a refund?????<br>I still have my 3 tab if you would like to see it.<br>