Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

03 5th hitch installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 5th hitch installation

When the 03 5er installation kit I ordered didn't show up in a week's time, I called to see what the problem was. I was informed that Reese was "recalling" the 03 brackets and that new ones wouldn't be available until the middle of Jan. Just wondering if anyone besides me has run into this problem?
Old 12-22-2002, 09:15 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Re:03 5th hitch installation

NOPE, we haven't heard of it - - and really don't want to hear about. :'( :'( We all ready have our's installed. Sure don't want to rip it back out. <br><br>Really, keep us informed if it is a problem.<br><br>Bob<br>ps: welcome to the forum, but please be more cheerful with your post next time.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the report. I sent an email to Reese and received an answer back stating &quot;offices were closed until 1-2-2003&quot;. Guess we won't find out anything until then. Maybe this recall was generated after Dodge released the guidelines for hitch installation and about the required internal spacers. Just a guess. <br>Bob, I forget did they put internal spacers in yours?<br><br>How about other installed hitches?
Old 12-23-2002, 11:15 AM

RE- &quot;Be more careful next time&quot; - Sorry if I didn't follow the rules, but I'm not sure what I did wrong, you'll have to educate me. <br><br>RE- The installation kit - All I got was a box of bolts, spacers and some brackets exactly like the ones that I took off my 01. I could get no more info out of the &quot;Pit Crew&quot; guy, other than the reason I didn't get the rest of installation kit was that Reese was recalling the 03 brackets. I ask him about the fact that some of new brackets had already been installed by several people that I knew about, but he didn't have an answer about what, if anything, would happen in those situations.<br><br>Bob S.
Old 12-23-2002, 11:29 AM

bobs03<br><br>FiverBobs quote<br>ps: welcome to the forum, but please be more cheerful with your post next time. <br> <br><br>bobs03.<br><br>You misunderstood what Fiverbob said. Be CHEERFUL, not Careful.<br><br>He was the first one here to have the new hitch installed after a long ordeal and he just did not want to hear any bad news concerning it. He was not blaming you, he was making a joke and wanted to hear good news.<br><br>Welcome to the forum. You will enjoy it.<br>
Old 12-23-2002, 03:02 PM

Yeh, what Ken said. Be cheerful with the next post.

Hey, I'm a big boy - - if there is a problem lay it on me.

Ken, the spacers used were in the bed between the rail and the bed. Don't need spacers on the frame because the bolts only go thru one side.

Bob
Old 12-23-2002, 04:28 PM

Sorry fiverbob, I need a red face smiley to show how I'm feel'n about now. Usually I can read, but I guess my &quot;oldtimers&quot; got the best of me again. <br><br>
Old 12-23-2002, 04:57 PM

This is an important subject that is of interest to us all. Please post any response or information as you become aware of it.<br><br>Glad you let us know.
Old 12-23-2002, 07:15 PM

[quote author=bobs03 link=board=11;threadid=8647;start=0#84104 date=1040682498]<br>Sorry fiverbob, I need a red face smiley to show how I'm feel'n about now. Usually I can read, but I guess my &quot;oldtimers&quot; got the best of me again. <br>[/quote]<br><br>No opology needed. I do that stuff all the time. Ken is correct - - we really need to keep up with stuff like that. We may not like the message but we will not kill the messenger - - promise. ;D ;D We are all in the same boat. Love the truck - - got a great hitch installation, I hope. ??? Sure hope it is some misunderstanding on the brackets. <br><br>AnxiousBob
Old 12-24-2002, 07:35 AM

I need some help here. <br><br>In Sierra Phils post ( http://www.dodge-diesel.org/yabbse/a...e03framewd.jpg ) which is the recent release by DC on drilling and welding the 2003 frame, it mentions under holes #4 &quot;must use an internal spacer to prevent crushing the rail tube.&quot;<br><br>How does this work, how can you get a spacer into a hollow tube, then get a bolt through it and the spacer be large enough to prevent over torquing? I am not very mechanically inclined, so SPLANE.<br><br>Thanks. : : :
Old 01-02-2003, 05:43 AM

Pullrite now has developed cutom fit brackets for most models of the 03 trucks. All are no drill installations. A friend just installed a set on his 2003 3500 4WD and said the installation was easy. He has the 20,500 pound Superfifth model. Since Pullrite does not have them listed yet on the website, you will need to contact them for availability. Pullrite uses an interesting reinforced bracket design utilizing the existing holes in the frame. www.pullrite.com<br><br>As far as I know, the only model not yet completed is the 2WD 3500, which I have. Hoping to hear from them soon about brackets for my truck with the 25,500 Superfifth. Since I have no idea if and when DC is officially releasing their &quot;drilling guidelines&quot; I prefer this route. Unfortunately, the DC National Rep in Canada has issued a &quot;not to drill&quot; statement implying loss of warantee on the frame and we do not have the protections here that is afforded to US buyers under the Magnuson-Moss Act. <br><br>Just an FYI.<br><br>Cheers, Casey
Old 01-02-2003, 10:58 AM

If you guys would just get the B&amp;W like me you wouldn't have to worry about this stuff
Old 01-02-2003, 11:57 AM

Here is Reese's answer to my email concerning the recall<br><br>Ken,<br><br>Due to another change that Dodge made to the frame and exhaust bracket,<br>Reese re-designed the special brackets that attach to the frame. The<br>current bracket can still be used but may need another hole drilled into<br>the bracket, depending on when the truck was manufactured.<br><br>So to make it easier for the installer, Reese decided to re-work the<br>current brackets and re-design the production release model.<br><br>Sincerely,<br><br>Allen Wedertz<br><br>Reese Products Technical / Warranty Advisor<br>Cequent Towing Products<br>2602 College Avenue, Goshen, IN 46528<br>Direct line: 574/537-6833 or 800/326-1090 ext. 6833 Fax: 574/537-6988<br>e-mail: awedertz@reeseprod.com Reese Products.Inc.<br>Reese Technical Service Reese Customer Service Reese Warranty<br><br><br>
Old 01-02-2003, 12:13 PM

[quote author=balvert link=board=11;threadid=8647;start=0#87232 date=1041507817]
Pullrite

Since I have no idea if and when DC is officially releasing their &quot;drilling guidelines&quot; I prefer this route. Unfortunately, the DC National Rep in Canada has issued a &quot;not to drill&quot; statement implying loss of warantee on the frame and we do not have the protections here that is afforded to US buyers under the Magnuson-Moss Act.

Cheers, Casey
[/quote]

Casey,

Rumors are die hard, and are reborn daily. The National Rep in Canada needs to be informed of the following document.

This is a relatively new document taken directly from the Body Builders Guide Drilling Guidelines (dated December 4, 2002). Since it is a new document, it won't be in the Dealer's hands yet. It has been approved by the following DaimlerChrysler Departments: Chassis, Vehicle Development, Safety and Legal.

2003 Dodge Ram
Frame
Caution: Use of proper safety equipment is recommended when performing any modification or alterations.
The following industry standard procedures are recommended for proper installation of special bodies and/or equipment on the Ram Frame (ie. 5th wheel hitches, snow plows. etc.). Failure to follow these recommendations could result in damage to the basic vehicle and possible injury to occupants.
Holes
Holes are NOT to be drilled in the top or bottom of the frame rails. Holes to mount out-riggers, brackets, and supports must be drilled in the web (vertical sides) of the frame rail with the following restrictions:
1) No holes should exceed 20 mm (0.75 inch) in diameter.
2) Material between edge of hole and top or bottom of the frame rail must not be less than 40 mm (1.60 inches).
3) The minimum edge distance between any two (2) holes must be larger than twice the diameter of the larger hole.
4) Any thru fastener that torques down on both external surfaces of the rail must use an internal spacer to prevent crushing the rail tube.
5) All holes should be drilled in the frame using appropriate drilling practice and safety precaution.
6) Avoid drilling holes near the fuel tank, fuel and brake lines and other lines and wires to avoid damage to them.

Welding
Prior to any welding, the following must be done:
1) Avoid welding near the fuel tank, fuel and brake lines or other component that may be damaged by the heat of welding. If it is necessary to weld near these areas, use wet cloths to cover these components. If it is necessary to remove the fuel tank, lines or other components, do it in accordance with applicable service manual procedure.
2) Components near the welding area which could be damaged by excessive heat must be removed or adequately shielded.
3) Disconnect the battery .
4) Precautionary measures should be used to prevent electrical system components or wiring damage.
5) Frame e-coating must be removed from the welding and surrounding area.
Use proper welding techniques to avoid stress risers that may adversely effect frame performance.
After Welding:
1) Carefully inspect electrical components and wiring for shorts and other damage:
2) Apply protective coating to areas where coating was removed.

Note: DaimlerChrysler Corporation doesn’t recommend any modification or alteration to the frame assembly. Modification or alterations (i.e., drilling, welding, etc.) to the frame assembly are the responsibility of person performing these modification or alteration. Anyone shoring the frame must assume complete responsibility for assembly, performance, reliability and compliance of applicable FMVSS requirements.

Let's attempt to put this rumor to rest and spread the truth that drilling and welding the 2003 frame are OK if done within the above guidelines. DTR should not be a forum for rumors, 2nd and 3rd hand information.

See:
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...threadid=62297

Old 01-02-2003, 05:10 PM

I would say I am from Missouri but that is not in Canada. I am aware of the &quot;drilling and welding guidelines&quot; which you have posted previously but are as yet unsubstantiated. What I DO know is that Tech Tip #39 was issued in Canada and has to date not been recinded. Therefore it is a fact and not a rumor. I have yet to see the document that you refer to and so has my dealer. Therefore until such time as it surfaces officially, I must go by what IS fact and not what MIGHT be fact. As I stated Canadian consumers have a bit of a disadvantage in all of this. We all have the choice to act accordingly.<br><br>If the moderator of this forum feels that I am the purveyor of rumor and I will happily unsubscribe from the DTR.<br><br>Casey

Quick Reply: 03 5th hitch installation