Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

truck not enough power

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck aint running right, any suggestions

Awhile back, I asked about regearing and if you should loose some boost. I went to 4.10s. Before I would hit 58psi with 3.55's and 265 tires, now with 4.10's and 35's I can only hit 50 max. This is just the beginning. A little later, I noticed I was getting a bucking motion while towing. Only way to get rid of it was to give it more and more fuel until it stopped. Well, last week I had a trailer with 6 four wheelers on it and it started to do the same thing, but it seemed like it would not go away. It would buck, but it would not get better even if it was floored. With the comp on 1x1, mach 4's I can easily hit 40psi. When it wasnt getting better, it would hit 26 and that was it. No matter if I gave it more fuel. I replaced my IP back in Sep last year and this is when I noticed that I lost boost. Thing is that I changed gearing and pump at same time so I dont know if I actually lost boost or if it was from the pump. I was never getting a code for the pump until last week. I now have the 0216. Rip sent me a replacement pump but not sure if the bucking is caused from this. I thought maybe it was my comp, but I can still feel the bucking with comp off. Just not a severe. Think it is a faulty pump? What else could it be? I am stumped and I have been having this problem way too long. I am tempted to sell and get a different truck. I have a pusher pump, and will idle at 21-24 psi, wot I would not get below 15psi. Now WOT I can get below 10. Maybe need another LP?
Old 06-05-2006, 07:05 PM

Have you tried resetting the APPS? Are you getting any other codes?
Old 06-06-2006, 10:29 AM

I have the 1693 and 0216. I have not tried resetting the apps. Does this sound like it could be the problem?
Old 06-06-2006, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ridofpwrstroke
..... I now have the 0216. Rip sent me a replacement pump but not sure if the bucking is caused from this.......... Now WOT I can get below 10. Maybe need another LP?
Confused....Rip sent you a replacement LP or VP-44??
Your running an LP AND a pusher pump? If so, how do you know which one might be acting up??

When I got the P1693/P0216 combo...it was a dying VP-44. Some just die...others run on reduced fueling for many miles. I did not even realize I had a problem with codes till I dynoed 100 hp below what I had done previously. Never noticed it..around town or working.

RJ
Old 06-06-2006, 12:03 PM

Rip sent me a replacement vp-44 to replace the one I bought in August. I have not changed it yet. I can hear my pusher come on and stay on. When I changed my LP last august, my fuel pressure was more consistant. I would never drop below 14psi or so under wot with mach 4's and drag comp. My truck feels stonger with my old pump even when I replaced it. Should of kept it. I thought it was bad, maybe it wasnt. This new one I have on the truck since aug, seems like it never had the same power and I have not been happy with it. The only way I will finally get it figured out is by replacing the pump again. I talked with edge today and they are sending me a new comp to check out. I dont think my sticks are bad. What else should I look at besides the apps?
Old 07-21-2006, 05:33 PM

I had the same problem, drove me mad, I have a 97 Dodge 3500, it was not running right so we had some work done, and they did the best job, now it has all the power, but it bucked something terrible, I had to "drive" through it, well it was the spring on the throttle that was weak, they put on 2 other springs and now it tows beautifully. Yeah. Pulling a 12,000lb trailer.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:43 PM

I would get a FASS System for it to be on the safe side. The FASS does more than just give it better fuel pressure.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ridofpwrstroke
I have the 1693 and 0216. I have not tried resetting the apps. Does this sound like it could be the problem?
Do the reset for the APPS. The best luck I had was to disconnect the batteries over night (~12 hours), then do the procedure. Go slow with the pedal.
Other issue I ran into was a ground problem with my Comp. I moved the ground from the intake horn to the left fender with the small lead coming off of the left battery neg terminal and that fixed an erratic surge/bucking problem.
Good luck, some of those can be a real PITA to find!