Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Stud Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 11:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Stud Install Question

Got started on my stud installtoday, but ran into a question. On the holes between cylinders 5 and 6, and 1 and 2, on the driver's side, between the pushrods for those cylinders, I have found 2 shallow holes. These would be the holes on the outside edge, but under the valve cover. The studs, when bottomed out, are about 1/4" higher than the other studs I have installed.
All of the studs in the kit are the same length. I checked the hole and it is plenty deep, but, I guess, doesn't have threads all the way down.
I wonder if this is OK, or if I have a problem. The head bolt is short enough that this doesn't matter, but the studs are longer, and for these holes, the studs sit high. Is this OK, or am I gonna need to make a special tap to put some more threads in the holes?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 05-28-2006, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of studs are they? I know with my arp studs I had to cut away part of my valve cover to fit the studs.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:07 AM

ARP 12mm studs. Here are some pics:
The high stud, if it isn't obvious, is the one with the grey lube on it.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 05-28-2006, 09:07 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Chris,

Yes, some blocks seem to get tapped deeper and some get tapped at all different depths. You are correct, there is plenty of thread for a stock bolt, but not studs.

I dont know how easy it will be to tap those holes with the head installed, but I would find a way to make that happen. Some extensions made for taps could be modded or perhaps find a long tap.

Don~
Old 05-28-2006, 10:28 AM

So the next question would be, how deep do the studs need to be in the block to be OK?
With the tall ones I have, the thread at the top just barely gets to the level of the head hole, and then I have the washer thickness worth of thread before the nut reaches the end of the threads on the top end.
On the holes along the oustide of the VC, on thr passenger side, the holes are already tapped deeper, as the end of the stud just barely sticks out of the end of the nut. This can be seen in pic number 2, for the stud in from of the heater hose on the left side of that pic.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 05-30-2006, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The ARP studs that I have came in two different lengths. There were 6 long ones (not much longer), that go on the exhaust side of the head. Are you sure yours are all the same length?

Paul
Old 05-30-2006, 04:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would trim the bottom of the studs.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:53 PM

I heard from another fellow today that some of the studs may be .100 longer than the others. I didn't look at them THAT closely (less than 1/8"). I still haven't finished the job, as it took me a day to think up a way to rig the tap to go down in those holes, and then my weak back was pretty bad off by the time I finished the back ones....
Tonight I got home too lat eto mess with it, but I will see what I can figure out tomorrow. Since I still have some left, I will pull the tallest ones and see if they are longer. The six I have left are all the same length.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 05-31-2006, 07:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I installed studs for a customer and they were ARP, and there were two different sizes. I think I had to trim a couple in the back and a couple in the front, not all of them. I did not want to attempt to tap the block as I was afraid of breaking the tap off or getting it stuck in the block.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:31 AM

I ended up rearranging the studs, and they seem to be OK now. It seems like I had more than 6 longer ones, and some were even longer, so I may have had 3 different lengths. I don't know how I missed it.

Anyway, I pulled the long ones on the left and put them on the right, above the exhaust manifold, and the rest of the long ones I put in the very front 2 holes.
Now on to the next step, torquing them all down again and adjusting valves.

Oh yeah, if you trim them, what do you trim them with? I'd think thaty'd be hard, or at least tough, considering their special ARP 2000 material.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 05-31-2006, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stamey
I ended up rearranging the studs, and they seem to be OK now. It seems like I had more than 6 longer ones, and some were even longer, so I may have had 3 different lengths. I don't know how I missed it.

Anyway, I pulled the long ones on the left and put them on the right, above the exhaust manifold, and the rest of the long ones I put in the very front 2 holes.
Now on to the next step, torquing them all down again and adjusting valves.

Oh yeah, if you trim them, what do you trim them with? I'd think thaty'd be hard, or at least tough, considering their special ARP 2000 material.

Thanks,
Chris
bench grinder