Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

To Regulate or not to Regulate

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Regulate or not to Regulate

Ok, my LP is dying again and I am planning on installing an aftermarket pump, probably the Holley Blue. It is rated for 14 psi, so my question is do I need to install a regulator or just install the pump only and monitor pressure after that? I already have the Quadzilla Commander in place.

Also, anyone know where I can get the just the adaptors to replace only the banjo bolts and fittings in the filter housing? I do not need the entire Vulcan Big Line Kit, but I have been unable to find those fittings? I do have the 1/2" JIC fittings and fuel line and hate to buy the entire kit just to get those fittings.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:41 PM

It has been my experience that a pressure regulator helps tremendously in prolonging the life of the OE and Campaign pumps. I do not have any experience with the Holley.

The vast majority of postings in this forum and others have always emphasized relocating the pump by the tank and bigger lines. I tried all that and eventually, by trial and error, found out that a pressure regulator was, by far, the most effective in prolonging the life of the pump. I think the majority of people on this forum will still not agree with me about the need for a pressure regulator.

I bought my regulator from Wide Open Diesel. It was around $40.

You can get the adaptors you are looking for from Eric at Vulcan. He is most helpful and he will be happy to sell you just the adaptors.

I highly recommend the Walbro 392 over the Holley. You can get one on e-bay for about $100. It will last much longer than the Holley.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:40 PM

What pressure should the regulator be set at?
Old 08-26-2007, 11:44 PM

From what I've heard, the IP likes about 15 psi. If that's the case, then no, you don't need a regulator for the Holley. If you use a Walbro, yes you need a regulator. I think the Walbro is like 40 psi if memory serves me correctly.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:57 AM

I set the regulator for 12psi. That is all that the VP needs, anything more is a waste. The lower the pressure the easier it is for the LP.

With the regulator set at 12psi, the WOT pressure does not drop below 11psi, so the VP gets adequate flow at all times.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:38 PM

You know my in tank pump died last week. I went and ordered the Draw Straw II to totally bypass the in tank pump. Now the truck runs only on the Holley Blue. I have about 14 psi at idle and 10 at WOT. I think that is just fine without a regulator.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:41 PM

I think Geno's sells the banjo bolts you are looking for.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by george7941
It has been my experience that a pressure regulator helps tremendously in prolonging the life of the OE and Campaign pumps. I do not have any experience with the Holley.

The vast majority of postings in this forum and others have always emphasized relocating the pump by the tank and bigger lines. I tried all that and eventually, by trial and error, found out that a pressure regulator was, by far, the most effective in prolonging the life of the pump. I think the majority of people on this forum will still not agree with me about the need for a pressure regulator.

I bought my regulator from Wide Open Diesel. It was around $40.

You can get the adaptors you are looking for from Eric at Vulcan. He is most helpful and he will be happy to sell you just the adaptors.

I highly recommend the Walbro 392 over the Holley. You can get one on e-bay for about $100. It will last much longer than the Holley.

I agree with everything he says. I have a big line kit with a Holley Blue. When it finally dies I will go with a Walbro. For not much more money you can get what I believe is a far superior pump. When I got my Holley, there were some thread wars on this site concerning the Walbro. That kind of scared me at the time, but they have proven to be very good from what I've read.

My holley does 15psi @ idle and around 11-12 @ WOT unregulated.

Brad
Old 08-27-2007, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by george7941
I thought the bypass on the vp44 would basically do the same thing? I guess its not very efficient or people would always see 14 or whatever on their fp guage. I too run the simflow regulator due the high pressures my pump produces and it was a pretty painless install with fittings from vulcan performance.