Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Quad Adrenaline Beta Testing....

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quad Adrenaline Beta Testing....

Ok seeing as how the Beta testing thread has become ridiculously long and at times way off topic I figured it was time to start a new one...

This thread is for Beta Testers to share their info regarding testing, likes, dislikes, etc... As well as an area for members to ask questions about the product...

THIS IS NOT A THREAD TO ASK WHEN YOU ARE GETTING YOUR BETA BOX!

Quad has been working hard to get these boxes out to a large number of people to ensure he gets as many bases covered as possible to produce the best product possible for VP44 pumped trucks...

Anyways....

I received my box a day before leaving for DHRA Finals in Baytown. Install was quick and easy similar to any other box install... There were some extras that you have the option of hooking up a pyro, temperature probe (for trans or oil temp), as well as a fuel pressure sender. These sensors can be installed to take advantage of the defueling features of the box to play on the safe side.

After the install I went for a test drive and right out of the driveway I could tell that this was going to be a HOT box... Plenty of power throughout the RPM range, was able to pull pretty hard to around 3600RPMs. Was happy to say the least, but the box was in definite need of being refined... Surging was pretty violent at light throttle.. Dang near wanted to rip the truck apart! Box was nice and smooth while accelerating and slowing down, but that light throttle used to hold cruise or light inclined was brutal... The box just wanted the truck to go faster that's all!

I ran that program down in Baytown and picked up a good amount of time over my past runs (also went down a tire size 285-265 so not a great test) almost a full second... ran a 14.2 at 100mph on the ol handshaker! 3rd gear launch, missed 5th gear (dang reverse) overall a botched run! but when I was in the correct gear it pulled great!

Talked with quad and he send me out an updated file to get rid of the surging. Box was much more pleasant to drive! had a slight surge at a constant 20psi but light throttle surging was gone! Box felt even stronger up top (Never seen the boost guage go past 65 before! )

Just received another batch of files from quad with different power levels and even more refining for surging issues.. Haven't had a chance to put many miles on it yet so I'll wait to give an opinion..

All in all I am very pleased with this box... It pulls at least as hard as my Smarty Beta TST Comp stack and very possibly harder! Hats off to quad for working hard to put out a quality product for our VP plauged trucks!!

More to come.....
Old 10-24-2007, 07:04 PM
Chapter President

OK I'll bite. I have the same surging issue. My truck is basically stock. I have tried a lot of the tunes. My truck is very streetable on most tunes on PL01 or PL02. I have very aggressive acceleration all the way thru the power levels, but on light throttle it wants to buck me out of the seat. I don't really have a problem with that, cuz if I want to I just grab higher levels while under the gun. I am assuming because my truck is mostly stock, I am limited on performance by the stock injectors. Cruising at speed no smoke. If I let off the pedal and give her good I get a pretty good snake, then it clears up. Under full throttle it will smoke a little from a stop, until the turbo spools then clears up and just pulls. I need to know if this is about right for a stocker? I have checked and rechecked all of my connections and all is good and or tight. Please let me know that I'm not losing my mind. I am not new to diesels, just new to diesel performance and this is the first experience with "Tapping " the wire.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by wurkenman
OK I'll bite. I have the same surging issue. My truck is basically stock. I have tried a lot of the tunes. My truck is very streetable on most tunes on PL01 or PL02. I have very aggressive acceleration all the way thru the power levels, but on light throttle it wants to buck me out of the seat. I don't really have a problem with that, cuz if I want to I just grab higher levels while under the gun. I am assuming because my truck is mostly stock, I am limited on performance by the stock injectors. Cruising at speed no smoke. If I let off the pedal and give her good I get a pretty good snake, then it clears up. Under full throttle it will smoke a little from a stop, until the turbo spools then clears up and just pulls. I need to know if this is about right for a stocker? I have checked and rechecked all of my connections and all is good and or tight. Please let me know that I'm not losing my mind. I am not new to diesels, just new to diesel performance and this is the first experience with "Tapping " the wire.
Well...your truck isn't much more "stock" than mine in the overall scheme of things comparative to the more modified trucks...I had a little surging on higher levels but very little from level 3 down. I found that I could drive around it for the most part and didn't add the anti-surge update 'til yesterday. I'm still on the aggressive tune and have no surging now...
Old 10-24-2007, 07:25 PM

The day after the Adrenaline was installed on my pickup I left for a long trip towing very heavy. My hope was to use P03 for towing so I would have a little more power plus a few other options that my XZT+ didn't offer. Unfortunately with the original software loaded the surging was too much and since I didn't have internet access to load the updates Quad had released I had to disconnect the Adrenaline and reconnect the XZT+. During the process of disconnecting the Adrenaline it looks like I managed to loose part of my wiring harness so now I have the box but can’t use it! Once Quad gets the wiring harness in stock I will be ready to test the updated software to see if the surging has been eliminated.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by wurkenman

Well, you should get more than a little smoke from a dead stop when you are on the higher levels. Does the smoke amount or SOT feel stronger on PL3-PL6? If not then the wire is not tapped properly.

Also, I emailed out an update a few days ago for surging. On everyone that I have talked to this has cured or almost cured all the surging you are talking about. Have you tried those tunes?

The new 10PL updates I sent out also should fix the surging.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:23 PM

lkuykendall, I have the same hopes as you and passed that on to quad... I want to be able to pull a trailer on a moderate tune without it fueling at cruise, however have the wire tap available if I really jump on the throttle. I believe he tried to incorporate this on his latest 10 program update. this is almost the same as my request to be able to be at cruise 70-80mph without the box fueling. my aggressive tunes were obviously fueling at cruise.... it is just nice to be able to have the power available when I want it without dumping fuel in to the engine at cruise.... This was accomplished by keeping the TST on 1.... it really would not fuel until I jumped on the throttle some, otherwise that little green light stayed off...

I'm surprised to hear stock trucks having surging issues? I figured it was mostly an issue with big injectors? mine is all but gone noe except right at a constant 20psi.... course this is before the update sent out yesterday eve..

I'm sure quad is torn... to get rid of surging he needs to tone down the low end of the box some, but we all want mo power! not always a easy win win relationship!

(bear with me on the cell )
Old 10-24-2007, 08:29 PM

darnit typing on the phone takes to long!
Old 10-24-2007, 08:33 PM

The stock trucks were having some surging issues because we were just too aggressive even on the bus fueling which is carried on throughout the power band.

I have worked on this a little while with some XZT+ guys and got it pretty good. I then changed some other things slightly and sent it to the Adrenaline guys to get some feedback. I will go back to the XZT+ guys as soon as I get some feedback.

I think your 20psi surging will be gone now at least ont he lower levels. I think before each setting was too much of a jump and caused it to fuel and not fuel too much. Spreading them out should help that.

Now, with that said the latest files I sent out have some serious fueling tuned into them and that might once again change some things!

I am waiting on any feedback from the latest round of updates.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by qzilla
I think your 20psi surging will be gone now at least ont he lower levels. I think before each setting was too much of a jump and caused it to fuel and not fuel too much. Spreading them out should help that.

Now, with that said the latest files I sent out have some serious fueling tuned into them and that might once again change some things!

I am waiting on any feedback from the latest round of updates.

Woo Hoo! Can't wait! Should have a few hundred miles on the new stuff you sent this weekend... Really wanted to get to the track again this weekend, but Ardmore closed down for the rest of the year already!! May make it to a track south of OKCity that I haven't been to before... Maybe
Old 10-24-2007, 10:22 PM
Chapter President

Well, you should get more than a little smoke from a dead stop when you are on the higher levels. Does the smoke amount or SOT feel stronger on PL3-PL6? If not then the wire is not tapped properly.

Also, I emailed out an update a few days ago for surging. On everyone that I have talked to this has cured or almost cured all the surging you are talking about. Have you tried those tunes?

The new 10PL updates I sent out also should fix the surging.

Do you think this is causing my problems? I just found it on the truck today.https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=175057
This is how the wire is tapped and I have continuity from the pump wire to the box harness behind the plug.
Attached Thumbnails Quad Adrenaline Beta Testing....-p1010005.jpg  
Old 10-24-2007, 10:34 PM

The j hook shouldn't have anything to do with the surging
Old 10-24-2007, 10:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wastegate flutter can cause major surging.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:52 PM

the j hook will keep enough tension on there to not let it flutter
Old 10-24-2007, 11:47 PM

I am certain the surging was primarily due to the way I was tuning some of the fueling. I never like to blame other stuff until there is no other option.

I am also confident that I was causing the issue since I was able to solve it as well!

Only you can tell us if you are on the pump. Is there a seat of the pants difference when you go to PL3 from PL2? Change from 2 to 3 at 1/2 or more throttle and you will know if it is working or not. Should be a noticeable change.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:47 AM

I am certain the surging was primarily due to the way I was tuning some of the fueling. I never like to blame other stuff until there is no other option.

I am also confident that I was causing the issue since I was able to solve it as well!

Only you can tell us if you are on the pump. Is there a seat of the pants difference when you go to PL3 from PL2? Change from 2 to 3 at 1/2 or more throttle and you will know if it is working or not. Should be a noticeable change.
Agreed...you'll feel it AND see it...there's a marked difference in performance...

Quick Reply: Quad Adrenaline Beta Testing....