Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

pros and cons of TC lockup switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pros and cons of TC lockup switch

ive been reading up on the TC lockup switch on this site for a while guys...i just wanna hear from guys who have it and what they're thoughts are...my power levels are stock...tranny is is great shape i dont pull or haul anything ..i pretty much baby the truck ...if i understand things correctly, with the switch i'll be able to transfer almost all the power to the ground in 2nd 3rd and 4th but first will remain slushy...and in the stock tranny i only have actual lockup in 3rd and 4th right??

i am pretty much sold on the switch thinking of doing it next weekend..i just wanna hear some opinions guys thanx

ps i was also thinking of increasing the line pressures a tiny bit if im gonna be forcing lockup more often...i understand this is a good idea?
Old 09-12-2004, 09:42 PM

Re: pros and cons of TC lockup switch

Originally posted by mr T
ive been reading up on the TC lockup switch on this site for a while guys...i just wanna hear from guys who have it and what they're thoughts are...my power levels are stock...tranny is is great shape i dont pull or haul anything ..i pretty much baby the truck ...if i understand things correctly, with the switch i'll be able to transfer almost all the power to the ground in 2nd 3rd and 4th but first will remain slushy...and in the stock tranny i only have actual lockup in 3rd and 4th right??

i am pretty much sold on the switch thinking of doing it next weekend..i just wanna hear some opinions guys thanx

ps i was also thinking of increasing the line pressures a tiny bit if im gonna be forcing lockup more often...i understand this is a good idea?
Right now you have lockup in 3rd gear when O/D is off and only lockup in 4th when O/D is on. Not to sure if it is a good idea on a stock tranny but you are no laying any major power down. I like mine because it helps slow me down and I use it for drag racing. Cons are it is easier to break things like input shafts and converters with more power. Oh yeah , you can leave it on when you come to a stop and your truck will start shaking like crazy and scare you.
Someone will chime and give some more input about your gains with a stocker.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:19 PM

If your tranny is working OK forget the switch, you can cause more harm than good.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock torque converter can barely handle being locked up in 3rd and overdrive, just keeping the truck moving.
Locking it up while trying to get the truck moving, or trying to slow it down, it'll slip and burn up the clutches in no time.

Not to mention the stock Valve Body can't supply enough pressure to keep it locked up under those circumstances.

Personally I wouldn't put one in till I'd at least upgraded the TQ and VB, if not the whole tranny.

phox
Old 09-12-2004, 10:41 PM
Banned

I agree with Phox.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Phox pretty much summed it up from my standpoint. Increasing line pressure in an otherwise stock tranny begs for blowing internal seals, eventually killing the tranny.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:02 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I use a 3 way switch so I can unlock it when pulling a load on a grade and then lock it up again when I reach my desired speed. It drops some egt and you don't have to lug it or slow down and drop into 3rd to accelerate, but as it has already been mentioned, this would not work out too well with a stock converter as it would likely slip too much and heat the tranny up.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:27 PM

thanx guys...so better save up for an ATS triple lock huh and forget the switch.....by the way im up in Toronto Canada...anyone know any diesel preformance places here?? cause im clueless...thanx