Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Need to disscuss 12V mods with others, a little bench racing

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need to disscuss 12V mods with others, a little bench racing

Ok the truck is a 97 12V 3500 5SPD, I have put gauges, Val-air ceramic clutch, BHAF, 3 inch straight pipe, blocked wastegate, slid stock plate foward, AFC housing full forward, and turned starwheel about 7 clicks toward engine.

A small side note, when I originally bought the truck I preformed the above mods, but I had ground a 100 plate, and preformed the GWK. Well the truck preformed good imo but was way to smokey, and way to hot EGTS were hard to control when towing, and it was way to easy to pass 1300. Well one day driving down the road the truck shut off at a stop sign. I could not restart without pressing fuel. then thruck would not idle without holding foot on the pedal but you could not maintain lower than 2k rpms. I took the truck to the dealer because I have a extended warranty on the truck. They preformed pressure tests and checked everything, and determined that it was the pump. They ordered a new pump and the problem has been solved. The truck runs great(just stock power level).

My reasoning for posting this is to gain some peoples firsthand experience with thier mods. I have a goal set for now, but ofcourse its out of my budget but this is it as follows
DDP3 or 4 injectors
#100 fuel plate
HX-40 HT3/26 twins (the piers street twins but I hope to make most of it myself)
Valet switch
4GSK
Some sort of delivery valve upgrade
Head studs/fire rings
5 inch exhaust(just because I have limited self control and I know I will want more power, to be honest the only control I seem to have is my wallet)
and a water/meth inj
16.5* timing
I would like to hit 450hp + and be streetable, I tow often from 5k to 22k lbs, but I can live with controling EGTS with my foot, but I still would like to be able to hold 65 to 70 mph comfortably. Plus play at some of the local pulls, and the truck drives 115 miles a day round trip

Currently my truck runs so much cooler than it did with the 100 plate (duh), towing 16k last nite I could barely hit 1100 on the steepest grade at WOT. I want a balance, while working to my goals. Can I grind a 10 plate and upgrade to the 5inch exaust and still have reasonable power levels with the stock charger as well as EGTS. I think that finding a Super 40 will help allow me add fuel while keeping egts in check. I am trying to list my mods and develope a planning allowing me to upgrade in stages while limiting lost money on parts that will be taken off in the long run. Thank you in advance
Old 09-24-2006, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lonewolf42262
Ok the truck is a 97 12V 3500 5SPD, I have put gauges, Val-air ceramic clutch, BHAF, 3 inch straight pipe, blocked wastegate, slid stock plate foward, AFC housing full forward, and turned starwheel about 7 clicks toward engine.

A small side note, when I originally bought the truck I preformed the above mods, but I had ground a 100 plate, and preformed the GWK. Well the truck preformed good imo but was way to smokey, and way to hot EGTS were hard to control when towing, and it was way to easy to pass 1300. Well one day driving down the road the truck shut off at a stop sign. I could not restart without pressing fuel. then thruck would not idle without holding foot on the pedal but you could not maintain lower than 2k rpms. I took the truck to the dealer because I have a extended warranty on the truck. They preformed pressure tests and checked everything, and determined that it was the pump. They ordered a new pump and the problem has been solved. The truck runs great(just stock power level).

My reasoning for posting this is to gain some peoples firsthand experience with thier mods. I have a goal set for now, but ofcourse its out of my budget but this is it as follows
DDP3 or 4 injectors
#100 fuel plate
HX-40 HT3/26 twins (the piers street twins but I hope to make most of it myself)
Valet switch
4GSK
Some sort of delivery valve upgrade
Head studs/fire rings
5 inch exhaust(just because I have limited self control and I know I will want more power, to be honest the only control I seem to have is my wallet)
and a water/meth inj
16.5* timing
I would like to hit 450hp + and be streetable, I tow often from 5k to 22k lbs, but I can live with controling EGTS with my foot, but I still would like to be able to hold 65 to 70 mph comfortably. Plus play at some of the local pulls, and the truck drives 115 miles a day round trip

Currently my truck runs so much cooler than it did with the 100 plate (duh), towing 16k last nite I could barely hit 1100 on the steepest grade at WOT. I want a balance, while working to my goals. Can I grind a 10 plate and upgrade to the 5inch exaust and still have reasonable power levels with the stock charger as well as EGTS. I think that finding a Super 40 will help allow me add fuel while keeping egts in check. I am trying to list my mods and develope a planning allowing me to upgrade in stages while limiting lost money on parts that will be taken off in the long run. Thank you in advance

Look at my sig..

includes most of what you want already. EGT control can be had with right foot contol as well, Look at my pics and see what i have towed. I too am going twins eventually, toss up right now with a 40/B2 combo, 35/3B or i might even dare to go with BD, not certain yet. The ten plate is best for your application if you like EGT control, but since ur truck already has the 181 DVs and 215 injectors, u might still get a little bit hot. Ur on the right track with the super 40 to cool ur EGTS.. the BHAF might also minorly help, or u can try an AFE

I have about 400 rwhp with the setup in my sig, no doubt in my mind with the twins combo u want ull have that much power and more, with cooler EGTS.. the DDP 4s will push u farther than my 370s will too. Ur off to a good start..

Rick
Old 09-24-2006, 05:46 PM

Thanks TX, my main concern is trying to take these bombs in a logical manner, I have the BHAF already and I will keep it till I add twins. I am positive my next mod will be a 5 inch exhaust, grinding the plate is way to easy so it can come whenever I can't take running this stock plate anymore. Following the exhaust I will probably get a 4GSK, and hopefully by then I will have alittle more in the budget for a Super40 since its one of the turbos I want to use in a twins setup. I know even with twins I will reach a fuel level that when tuned properly will still be high in the EGT dept and need control thru the ole right foot. But what I am trying to obtain is a truck that can be used towing(even if using a valet) down the highway and maintain 65 to 70 mph on hills and not have the pyro pegged, but when playing runs strong.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:55 PM

ADVANCE THE TIMING!! Best thing I have done for mine in the EGT department. I could peg 1500* by the time i got to 70mph before. Now I am settled in around 1250* at the end of the 1/4 mile, and it really isnt climbing anymore. Id go at a minimum of 16* with the timing. That is what mine is at, but id eventually like to go more. The 16 housing also may be helping me a little. Also, I see you live in Ky. Did you go to Smokin The Bluegrass yesterday? I went even though it rained, and watched the dyno. I guess ill be back for the pull next weekend.

Eric
Old 09-25-2006, 08:14 AM
Banned

I'm gonna seccond the timing, helped my EGT's a lot as well, and made it nicer to drive on the highway.

If the 5" is what you want, go for it, but you won't need it at the power level you want. There is a member on here that has made over 800 hp on a 4" with a muffler. But if you wnat and like it buy and enjoy.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:35 PM

At 615hp, the difference between a 5" straight and a 4" with muffler was worth 12hp (from Rip Rook/Source Automotive.biz in Oregon) To me, not a big deal if you can stand to drive it on long trips then. A 5" straight is a little loud after a while!

Trust me, I've tried so many exhaust combinations I'm sick of dealing with exhaust!

Chris
Old 09-25-2006, 03:52 PM

My 98 works good with a #10 plate and 16cm ex housing and timing @ 16.5 deg. 3000 gsk I do have 4.10 gears but I can tow **** near anythig at 65-70 on a hill.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:15 PM

I want the timing done, but dont have the cash to do it, and thou I understand it I get lost in the directions when it starts talking about pulling the pump gear, I would like to do it with someones assitance first.

cumminsdriver thats the first I heard about that event I would sure have went if I knew when and where. I am lookin for local guys to meet and maybe cruise alittle.

As far as the 5 inch I mainly just wanted it for sound, but I might just settle for a 4 inch, depends what I can find that is quality and affordable.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:47 PM
Banned

Here is your best bang for your buck on exhaust. I've never heard a bad thing about Rip Rook.
http://sourceautomotive.biz/sa_dodge-exh.htm
Old 09-27-2006, 01:45 PM

I second that part on Rip
He is Great!!!

THat poor man has no Idea how much stuff he will be sending to Montana in the next couple months