Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

More VP44 questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 01:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More VP44 questions

I know this issue gets hammered and everyone has their own opinion, but I've found some injections pumps for around $1200 bucks. I really have no clue as to what to look for and whats good. I mainly just want something that will handle some power with an airdog or fass pump and a chip and a few other extras. Something that would be good for around 500hp. A friend of mine said that he could get his stock VP44 tweaked for more power and a set of injectors from Cummins west for $1000 bucks. Does this sound right? Is it something worth doing or? I'm just unsure about all this stuff since I don't know much. 'Cause I know a little about everything and a lot about nothing. Thanks in advance.

Jake
Old 12-11-2007, 09:01 AM

the top end aftermarket injectors are less than $1k. check out f1diesel.com or dynomitediesel.com for my favorites. as far as the vp44, it is electronically controlled so 500 hp is no problem with a stock pump using a properly matched turbo with some good injectors and a box (of course you need gauges, intake and exhaust for the 500hp level to help control EGT). there are a couple of alternatives for upgraded vp44s, check with your favorite vendors.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The most recomended pump would be the factory pump of the SO trucks (5 speeds for ease of clarification), Theres quite a few options (Hot Rod's, Monsters, SO , HO) I personally recomend using the SO the best high end power results are with the SO pump! Lots of folks run the HRVP or hot rod pump and many with good results, but for the same amount of cash , a edge comp drag or similar fueling box will net the same results without the pump change! Mind you, the highest HP Vp trucks run SO pumps with the exception of a few trucks! Some folks feel the monster pump is a option, at this time until further testing is done, many including myself feel its a waste of money!
The Monsters are a hit and miss pump, some provide great results , some provide problems and more problems!
Provide your truck a good fuel system, FASS or the system of your prefrence and your VP will give great service, Make sure you run a high quality fuel treatment such as Stanadyne or Powerservice (Many other brands as well) to assist in lubricity where the new fuel is lacking!

As for your friend that had his pump "worked" and injectors installed for $1,000.00 , The VP-44 cant be worked by a local shop to increase power very easily. Normally the pump is changed or sent off for a rebuild! Would it be a possiblity that he has a P7100 on a 12v? There easily adjusted for more fueling in a small amount of time, but $1,000 for just pump adjustments is mighty steep!

Injectors are also a great option after a fueling box, They can increase your Net RWHP 50-240!

Hope this helps!
Lucas
Old 12-11-2007, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the quick reply guys! Now that I think about it my friends truck is a 12v so that makes sense. So I should be fine with my stock pump. When you say SO, I assume you mean standard output as opposed to HO high output. How are the two pumps different? I would think that the HO pump would be better, but what do I know. How do I match my turbo to my injectors, box, and Lift pump combo? On the lift pump what size would be suitable? I've seen anywhere from 90gph to 250gph. Thanks again.

Jake
Old 12-11-2007, 01:42 PM

The HO Motor has a number of diffrences, But in a non complicated description, The pump may deliver a small amount more fuel at low RPM , but lacks in the upper power band! The HO dose not provide enough fuel at Higher rpms to take the larger injectors to there limit!

a Fass 95 Series is just a smaller assembly, The 150 has a larger water sep. and Filters. As far as the GPH rating, Most under 400-500 would be safe at 95 , but for the most part, the 150/150 provides plenty of fuel for all but a select few!
Post your HP Goals for your truck and your needs (Towing/Daily Driver/Weight Towing and so on!) , We'll be able to assist you more in building a good setup!
Old 12-11-2007, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Stude4x4
Thanks for the quick reply guys! Now that I think about it my friends truck is a 12v so that makes sense. So I should be fine with my stock pump. When you say SO, I assume you mean standard output as opposed to HO high output. How are the two pumps different? I would think that the HO pump would be better, but what do I know. How do I match my turbo to my injectors, box, and Lift pump combo? On the lift pump what size would be suitable? I've seen anywhere from 90gph to 250gph. Thanks again.

Jake
The HO pump is supposed to be stronger on bottom. Looks like you have a so and ho truck so you tell me =P

The ho pumps respond better to injectors and the so pumps respond better to boxes. I wouldn't worry too much about the fuel pressure as long as you have 8-10 psi wide open. A stock pump with a line kit worked great for pressure, but still lacked in reliability on my truck =\
Old 12-13-2007, 12:43 AM

My HP goal is around 500. This truck will be a daily driver, but I will also use it to tow my Jeep and some equipment occasionally. My Jeep weighs 4500lbs loaded plus 3500lbs for the trailer. On average I'd be towing 8,000lbs. Sometimes it could be up to 12,000lbs with equipment.

Here's what I'm thinking. SO pump, airdog lift pump (not sure what gph yet), 4" exhaust w/brake, edge juice w/attitude, edge stage 2 injectors (or equivalent), intake. That should put me in my 400-500 hp range right? Thanks.

Jake
Old 12-13-2007, 12:56 AM

sounds close, dont know if thats to much for a stock turbo or not though when u count in towing, i talked to the fass people they say 95 up the 400hp, but if anyone askes them they recomeind the 150s to everyone, just a little better pump.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:34 PM

Something I've wonder but never asked. Is there a difference between 5 speed and auto VP44's?