Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

new to the game, i need turbo help

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to the game, i need turbo help

Hi guys, i'm a newbie and had a few questions. I have a 1999 2500 24V and my truck started doing some shuddering, and i was told that i probably have an injector problem. The guy referred me to DDP so i looked them up. I like the looks of the 150HP DDPs, so i called DDP in Monroe, WA, and they said that i need to upgrade my turbo if i'm going to use these injectors. Question is, there are so many turbos out there that i don't know which one to get! I have a built suncoast trans, 4" turbo back, an off-the-wall chip named "Speed Performance" (came with the truck), EGT and 0-60 boost guages. So the parts i know i want are the 150HP DDPs, the new Quadzilla Adrenaline, but i want a turbo on top of this to push me to 550+ HP. I've heard of the B-1 steroid turbos, sled puller 66, SPS66, and SPS62 turbos possibly pushing the combination to 550+HP, but i'm open to any ideas!
Old 12-11-2007, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Many questions!!!
Shuddering is usually the converter clutch slipping.
So, describe this shuddering in more detail.
Next , what do you do mostly with the truck?
Tow, or run empty to play with others?
You will not find a single tubo that fills all these pictures.
If you tow, my advice will be to go with a twin tubo set-up.

Any bigger turbo will spool up slower, and a lot slower with a trailer.
If you sled pull, most area's will not let you in if you have twins.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:02 PM

First get a fuel pressure gauge and upgrade yer fuel system to handle the demands of the mods you intend unless ya wanna use a big of yer money for a new injection pump...
Old 12-11-2007, 08:03 PM

i mostly play with other, especially the ones that don't understand what these trucks are capable of, not to name any names *cough*ricers*cough*! i know it's not the converter clutch, because it was shuddering before i upgraded the trans. i had it built for "towing/drag racing," (that's how my builder put it), and he said it's capable of over 1200 TQ. after it was built, it still shudders. the shuddering happens when the torque converter locks up around 43 and the chip and turbo start to dump more fuel into the motor, then it stops around 48-50. this only happens under light throttle when the computer tells the trans to shift around 43 mph. under WOT, it won't shudder. it also shudders a little at cruising speeds. i've also noticed a loss in power too, especially on top end.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:05 PM

that's one things i left out. i am getting a FASS 150 when i do the injectors, as well.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:09 PM

Then look at the trans fluid.
A bottle of Lube Guard will help, or better yet try 1/2 bottle.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:23 PM

trans fluid is full. the shuddering became worse when the trans was built, and it also has a suncoast triple disc. it's also worse when the chip is on higher levels. everything in the transmission is new, including the TC. i'll try adding some Lube Guard soon and let you know what happens.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:33 PM
C2O
Banned

have you tried pop testing the injectors just to get that part clear?
on the turbo if towing is completly out of your plans then you could go with a 64/14, iv seen this turbo handle alot more fuel than the 150's and lay down some impresive numbers was good on the street but sucked while towing even a waverunner. 200hp inj. are hot hot hot
Old 12-11-2007, 08:41 PM

what is "pop" testing? i asked DDP about testing the injectors to see if that is the problem and they said they can do that. i just have to find time to go over there!

what kind of numbers have you seen with a 64/14?
Old 12-12-2007, 09:08 PM

i just saw that HTT has a Holset Pro 52. has anyone run this turbo? how does it compare to others in its HP range?
Old 12-12-2007, 09:47 PM

Nate,

Some boxes can cause shuddering and a feeling of power loss. My old Edge Comp was terrible with big injectors. A lot of times the fuel system gets blamed for this symptom. Mine only did it in cold weather. Unhook the box and try it. That's a cheap and easy check.

Stay away from that Pro 52, they are big and go Boom real easy. They don't have a wastegate. An S300 variant is a better way to go IMHO.

Dave
Old 12-12-2007, 10:56 PM

The shuddering may come from the computer, when it locks the TC it might sit there and lock and unlock it. Also look into F1 injectors, i have the 90 hp MACH 1.6's and they give plenty of power with the stock turbo with a good power box depending on how much you want to spend.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:43 AM

thanks guys, i really appreciate all of the help. i'll go try unhooking the chip tomorrow and testing that out!

it looks like i'll be going with a 64 or a 66 size turbo, Quad Adrenaline, and 150HP inj... there are so many turbos out there, though, it's ridiculous! how are the 64 & 66 size turbos on lag? i think i read somewhere that the SPS turbos are very decent on lag
Old 12-13-2007, 02:55 PM
DTR Advertiser

Originally Posted by nate_88
thanks guys, i really appreciate all of the help. i'll go try unhooking the chip tomorrow and testing that out!

it looks like i'll be going with a 64 or a 66 size turbo, Quad Adrenaline, and 150HP inj... there are so many turbos out there, though, it's ridiculous! how are the 64 & 66 size turbos on lag? i think i read somewhere that the SPS turbos are very decent on lag
Do you tow heavy? If you do you wont want to go too big in a charger. Lag will make it no fun to drive while towing. Twins are going to give you the best of both worlds. Tonnes of bottom end and then it will still flow lots of air for the top end fueling.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:27 PM

mine had the same problem i installed a dtt noise filter and transmission voltage regulator. the problem was at 40-50 mph the torque converter would go in and out of lock up

Quick Reply: new to the game, i need turbo help