Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Mild Auto Tranny build ups

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mild Auto Tranny build ups

I've been lookin at trucks for a while and now that the first of the year is comin around I'm about ready to get one but all I can find is autos and I really wanted a hand shaker trans.

Here's my question, what is some mid tranny builds I can do that don't cost 4500 bucks for 96-99 trucks.

The mods I plan to do both is full straight piped factory exhaust,gauages, and cold air intake.If it's a 12v I'd like to add the 3000 springs and maybe a #11 plate or just move the factory plate, 16 degrees or so of timin,slide the AFC forward, and maybe crank the star screw a little.If it's a 24v, pusher pump with 3/8 fuel lines, banjo fittins, and a edge ez.

I understand if it's a 12v it is easier to get power out of it so it would probably kill the trans first just wanted to know if the mods I'm thinkin about would kill a stock trans with a good torque converter and a shift kit.

I don't plan to pull more than maybe 5k so towin wouldn't be a big thing.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check your PMs
Old 12-31-2004, 01:15 PM

I had a local shop that builds there own billet convertors do my trans. They rebuilt the trans with better seals redone the valve body for firm shifts and upped the line pressure to make it hold. It was just a hair over two bills. The truck shifts real firm and the convertor never slips. It is just a single disk and they had trouble getting the convertor to hold under full throttle and had to up the line pressure to about max with the hp. I am running. It's ashame dodge didn't come out with a transmission set up like this, I bet they would have sold alot more trucks!
Old 12-31-2004, 02:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Blowby,

With the bombs you intend and (reading between the lines) the way you will drive it, you will be into your transmission every year for repairs. It takes more than a "good torque converter and a shift kit" to have a long life. Talk to the Big Three for details. They have all the bits and pieces that match to get the proper shifts under high load and no trouble for a long time. Even after getting the right parts, it is essential to set line pressures correctly. Those who buy a COMPLETE upgraded transmission from them rarely complain. Those who buy parts and install them often have multiple problems. This is obvious to me after reading several years of posts on this forum.

Goerend Bros
ATS
DTT
Old 12-31-2004, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by Rare1
Blowby,

Talk to the Big Three for details.

Whats wrong with suncoast?

mooseman
Old 12-31-2004, 04:15 PM

Yeah I don't plan to pull anything I just want to smoke the tires, thats about it.

I'm gonna keep lookin for a stick cause I like my truck now (95 chevy 4x4 1/2 ton with a few get go parts) but I'm really wantin a cummins but if I could have a good tranny built then I would go with the auto as they are faster that a stick.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:45 PM

I really like the trans I had built, I do complain sometimes that the torque converter isn't tight enough or doesn't lock up soon enough and then I ride in a stock one and realize how good it really works. I've never rode in a triple disk lockup convertor where you can lock it up under power, it's got to be a ride! My trans is set up at 240# line pressure, the builder said it is all they will stand. I do run my truck hard and I do pull heavy loads with it. (I guess 34000gross is heavy),You just have to understand these trucks are not indistructable. If ya just want to smoke tires I power brake up the duelly and haze a positrac set of duels through most of second gear! P.S. I just put the edm 2.5 injectors in the 02 and yes the trans will not hold them and the ez! Good luck on your truck, once you get a cummins and hot rod it some you'll never go back to gas!!!!
Old 01-01-2005, 01:50 AM

Yeah cause diesel burnouts are cool, the black and white smoke just seem to make a good picture.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:34 AM
Banned

Yah blowby I only got about 15k out of my last set of rear tires toyo open country 285/75/16 I think they were rated for 50k
Old 01-01-2005, 09:40 AM

Yeah I run buckshot mudders on my chevy.I've had 2 sets in 14k.My cuz got 25k out of one set on his CTD.