12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

COMBINED THREAD -->auto tranny to manual/manual to auto tranny swap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swapping from Manual to Auto Trans

Swapping from Manual to Auto Trans in a 95 model truck

How hard would this be to do?

Could I just run some kinda aftermarket floor shifter instead of a shifter on the column?
Old 05-19-2005, 10:33 AM

auto tranny to manual tranny?

Just had a question, is it possible to take a truck that has an automatic transmission and put a manual in it? I'm not thinking about doing it right now, but down the road if my auto went out, would that be possible? What all would be invoved and would it really be worth it? Just wonderin'!! Thanks!
Old 05-19-2005, 10:51 AM

Maybe you should consider trading with this guy.

Yes it is doable, whether it is worth it or not is up to you. IMHO, just get the tranny built up stronger than factory from a DTT or Goerend tranny rebuild.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:54 AM

Well it is doable, just how much time and money are you willing to invest. Coincedentally another DTRer wants to take his 96 and make it a manual from an auto, perhaps you should consider trading? https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=68581
Old 05-19-2005, 01:47 PM

I would like to get experienced diesel owner's opinions about the 47RH. I know the history of the rest of the Chrysler autos, which is why my '97 Dakota has been sitting for a year and a half while I made time and got the parts to put a manual in it. Its had 2 transmissions with under 80,000 on the truck, and thats with frequent fluid and filter changes, and running good fluid. As an ex Dodge tech, I know the history of these transmissions...I have seen brand new replacements that haven't lasted a week, and I know of more than one customer who had gone through multiple transmissions over the course of a summer. These were all on Jeep Grand Cherokees, Rams, and Dakotas.

My '95 Ram Cummins 4x4 has a recently replaced transmission (according to the receipt I found in the glove box, it was a low mileage used transmission installed at a Dodge dealer), so I am wondering how much trust I should be putting into it. If this was a 42RE like my Dakota and the Jeeps use, I wouldn't even bother trying to drive out of town with it until I replaced it with a manual, because I don't want to get into having to pay for an overpriced transmission replacement while I'm on the road, and end up with a $3000 bill just to get my truck home.

So...what I want to know is, how is the rep of the 47RH behind a diesel? Treat it like an eggshell until I get a manual installed, or am I pretty safe in driving it normally (not abusing it...just normal light towing and driving) until I locate a manual to replace it with?

Thanks in advance!

Jim
Old 05-19-2005, 06:03 PM

both swaps are very expensive....especially if you're dealign with a 4x4...transfer cases, mounts....everythign from the flywheel on over to allow the trannies to bolt on usually need some sort of change...input shaft needs changing sometimes...length of driveshaft may change....placement of pedal and and stick isnt all that simple in a 4x4......not trying to discourage it its just expensive and time consuming....get a bear bulletproof auto for 4000$ it will cost u less than the switch to 5 speed or swap trucks with another person
Old 05-19-2005, 08:29 PM

You two should just get together and swap trucks. It would be a lot easier.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:50 PM

Well I know in my particular case, my truck just isn't worth putting a $4000 tranny in, and since I would be doing the work myself, labor isn't a factor. I've done auto to manual conversions before, just not on a Ram diesel. I'm actually going through it on my Dakota, with parts arriving soon so i can get started on it as soon as my Ram is on the road and not keeping me busy. Mine is a '96 with over 200K on it. Its a $3000 truck on a good day...I can buy a complete truck with less miles on it in better shape with a 5 speed for under $5000. Plus, my truck didn't come with a title, so selling it complete is not an option. If I can either run it for a while with the auto, or swap to a manual, then I'd be fine...but I know I don't want to invest too much into this truck. I would definately be up to swapping parts with soemone who wants to go to an automatic. I don't mind putting in an NV4500. I doubt I'll ever have a trailer over 10,000 lbs. behind it, so strength isn't a big issue with me, just reliability.

Jim
Old 05-22-2005, 09:43 AM

The swap from a manual to a auto is easy to do. I have a 96 manual truck and i swapped it to a 47rh auto that Pdr built for me. It sure beats going threw clutches and trannies. I have been threw 6clutches 3 5speeds and 2 6speeds. I wish i had went to a auto a long time ago. Sloooooooooooooooooooow learner.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:57 PM

So nobody answered this- how long is the life expectancy of a 47rh? Thats what I have now, and if its lifespan is anything like other Dodge autos, then you'll go through a LOT more auto transmissions than clutches! The way I see it, the only way an NV4500 will break or go through clutches is if its seriously abused or overworked. And anything that would break an NV4500 would grenade most autos. So back to my question...can I run my 47RH without too much fear, or should I be switching to a 5-speed?

Jim
Old 05-26-2005, 12:05 AM

Well that is kind of a rhetorical question as it varies with every application. If you're snow plowing, grossing heavy loads, pushing a bunch of extra power, don't change your oil, or don't watch your tranny temps then it probably won't last very long at all. If you rarely tow heavy loads, aren't hardly modified or just take care of watching temperatures and gearing while taking care of the fluids you shouldn't have any issues with it.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:05 AM

all depends on how u drive it and how u maintain it and also if u keep power levels at stock or close to stock...i know plenty guys who havent touched that tranny for over 200 000kms....its a very good tranny actually just most guys slap on the plate slide it forward and then throw in some 370 injectors and then they wonder why their tranny starting to slip
Old 05-26-2005, 12:10 AM

Beat you to it!
Old 05-31-2005, 10:40 PM

Thanks. After around 120 miles on the truck so far, this actually doesn't feel too bad for an automatic. It does shift WAY too softly for me though...I can't even really feel any of the shifts until the TC locks up. I know there are ways to firm up the shifts, so I'll be doing some searches to see whats available.

For driving, I'll probably be keeping the truck completely stock except for going up to 285 tires at some point in the future. Trailer loads won't be nuts...the most I might gross behind the truck would be 10K, very rarely. This is mostly a commuter, with some light trailer pulling (single car trailer) and very occasionally doing scrap runs to the recycler with the trailer loaded up and a load of steel in the bed. Mostly sheetmetal, so it won't be crazy heavy loads.

The engine runs soooo well that if (when?) the transmission does act up, I'll probably worry about converting to a manual then. I have even been researching putting in something like a 10 speed Roadranger and still have 4x4. I have that figured out, but if I want simplicity, I'll just go with an NV4500.

Jim
Old 07-29-2005, 10:05 AM
Banned

My brother got .....DIESEL? has blown up 3 450 horse rated ATS trannies in a course of 6 mos. I know nothing is truly bullet proof but both he and I are goin the manual trans way................ check these guys out

http://www.high-impact.net/transmiss...88-03_auto.htm