Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

High Idle on 6 speed??? Clutch Switch???

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question High Idle on 6 speed??? Clutch Switch???

K i just had the high idle enabled on my 2000 dodge 6 speed manual, haven't seen or heard it kick in yet??? i have read that there is a clutch switch or a wire i need to ground is this the case or what do i have to do to get it to work????
Old 01-13-2009, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm interested too. Getting mine enabled this week after the runaround trying to find a dealer that'd enable it...
Old 01-14-2009, 11:44 AM
DHT

Me too! Who can do it if the dealer want?
Old 01-14-2009, 11:46 AM

Find a local DTR member that has a Smarty - have them install it and whe they remove it the high idle feature remains enabled.

Check it out to see if there are any chapters local to you:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=21919

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...splay.php?f=96

FYI,

There are several conditions that must be met for the high idle to enable:

"Once enabled, idle speed will slowly ramp up from 800 rpm to 1200 rpm when all of the following conditions are met:

1. Intake Manifold Temperature less than 0°C (32°F) and,
2. Coolant Temp is less than 60°C (140°F) and,
3. The Transmission is in Neutral or Park and,
4. The Service Brake pedal is not depressed and,
5. Throttle = 0% and,
6. Vehicle Speed = 0 mph

Additionally, if Intake Manifold Temperature (IMT) is less than -9°C (15°F), and all of the parameters above are met, three of the cylinders will be shut off upon reaching 1200 rpm, creating a slight change in engine sound which is normal. This allows the engine to create increased heat in the cooling system, allowing more rapid engine warm up and cab heating.

Both features will automatically disable when one of the following occurs:

1. The Automatic Transmission is placed in gear (forward or reverse) or,
2. The Service Brake pedal is depressed or,
3. Throttle position is greater than 0% or,
4. Vehicle Speed is greater than 0 mph or,
5. Coolant Temperature is greater than 79°C (175°F).

Engine speed will return to normal operation at 800 rpm. If the engine continues to idle and coolant temperature is at or below 60°C (140°'F), the feature will reenable. In order to operate properly, the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (APPS) must stay at idle.

NOTE: ANY TYPE OF AFTERMARKET IDLE SPEED KICKER THAT ACTIVATES THE APPS WILL DISABLE THIS FEATURE. "

Heres the whole TSB: http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2001/18-019-01.htm
Old 01-14-2009, 03:40 PM

i had mine enabled @ the dealer long story short it gelled up that night not knowing it was gelled b/c it was still running but real sluggish, i took my hypertech and put it back to stock well after a while i quit running all together so i then came to the conclusion it was gelled so i warmed it up, got it running again installed my tuning again, and guess what apparently the hypertech erased it when it was put back to stock, so i am out $50 and the dealer want $50 again to reinstall it, but if everytime i put my tuning back to stock i loose it i don't think its worth having. KINDA ****** @ HYPERTECH!!!
Old 01-14-2009, 03:42 PM

So be sure to check with your chip manufacturor to make sure yours don't do the same!!! just a word of warning
Old 01-14-2009, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dahla
i had mine enabled @ the dealer long story short it gelled up that night not knowing it was gelled b/c it was still running but real sluggish, i took my hypertech and put it back to stock well after a while i quit running all together so i then came to the conclusion it was gelled so i warmed it up, got it running again installed my tuning again, and guess what apparently the hypertech erased it when it was put back to stock, so i am out $50 and the dealer want $50 again to reinstall it, but if everytime i put my tuning back to stock i loose it i don't think its worth having. KINDA ****** @ HYPERTECH!!!
Did you have the tuning installed when you took the truck to the dealer to enable the high idle? I don't know anything about the Hypertech, but I'm wondering if the reason it erased it is because the dealer reflashed the ECM and when you went back to the stock tune on the Hypertech it reloaded the programming from before the reflash... If so, if you put the Hypertech to stock, get the high idle enabled, then reload your tuning, I'd think it would work without erasing the high idle when you went back to stock. This is just a guess though...
Old 01-14-2009, 07:02 PM

yea i had the tuning installed at the time hypertech told me to leave it installed and it would be ok but now it is going to cost me another $50 to get the darn thing back on and if i switch the programming sometime down the road i have to re tune it and loose it again i wondering if it is actually worth it or not??
Old 01-14-2009, 09:18 PM

i made a high idle for mine with like $26 worth of parts from radio shack....now i can high idle anytime i want with the flip of a switch..
Old 01-15-2009, 12:10 AM

Depressing my clutch when in fast idle makes no difference to the idle speed. If I hit the throttle or start moving (speed greater than 0), the idle will drop to normal. Also, If I remember correctly, pressing the brake pedal kicks it to normal (not positive on this one...will have to try it).
Old 01-15-2009, 12:27 AM

how about a parts list, instructions and pics MX684?
Old 01-15-2009, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by mx684
i made a high idle for mine with like $26 worth of parts from radio shack....now i can high idle anytime i want with the flip of a switch..
This kind of response doesnt really help much - how about a little tech writeup and some pics?
Old 01-15-2009, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by mx684
Yep, you opened the beans now you might as well cook them. Out with the parts list and the how to. I read somewhere else someone made a little box themself and could idle it up but it sounded complicated.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:24 AM

Here is the wireing diagram for the high idle system. I don't have any pictures, but I wired it just that same as this, but I put the POT it the dash with a **** on it and a lighted on/off switch next to it. I could adjust my rpm's from idle to 1600rpm.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...1&d=1169129433
Old 01-16-2009, 03:27 PM

sorry guys..havent had much time to be on here lately...i dont have any pics of the finished product... but that link..

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...1&d=1169129433

is just how i wired it up, just get a "project box" from radio shack to put the relay and potintometer (however its spelled) and make all the connections, then i velcrowed mine to the side of the shifter cover on the floor, and ran a switch up on the dash for easy on and off...

i appoligize for the lack of info....i have everything wrote down somewhere, i will try to find it...when i mentioned it i was just throwing it out for an idea, figuring someone else would chime in on the details, i found everything from the search on this site, so i know its around, but i will see what i can come up with for more instructions, or feel free to ask any questions and i can do my best to answer, its not at all difficult we have done it on 4 different trucks and it works great...