Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

HELP! Truck dies when I put in drive or reverse!

Old 09-09-2004, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Truck dies when I put in drive or reverse!

I did a search and read about other people with the same problem and used a cold weather reflash at DC to fix but it was for older trucks than mine it seems.
I just had some EDM mach II's put in and I can't go from P or N into Reverse or Drive without the truck stalling! It sucks!
Any ideas? I plan to call Don and ask what he thinks but I figured I'd check here first.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:00 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
If the problem did start with the EDMs I'd look into getting the air out and into possible leaks at the connector tubes etc. Does it idle ok or rough? Did you use new copper washers and get all the old ones out ? (I don't want to sound like I think you are stupid, but I'm just thinking of what could have gone wrong)
If it has started with the DTT tranny I'd say that you should contact Bill K at DTT.

Just pondering...

AlpineRAM
Old 09-10-2004, 10:57 AM

Actually I have had the tranny in for about two months and it never did this. It started witht the new injectors. I didn't do the injector install but it was done by a reputable shop. It idles smooth as silk.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:59 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DU,

Things to check that might help:

1) Some trucks can develope a corrosion trouble between the connector tube and injector or the connector tube and the injection line. Check this.

2) Bill at DTT had one of my customers adjust something in the tranny that cured his trouble.

3) Check the banjos to the VP if your truck still has them. They have caused this trouble for one of my customers.

4) The cold weather reflash is valid for your truck and does fix some of the trucks affected, but not all. I think about half of them are fixed this way.

5) Disconnect the batteries for a few hours.

6) Get some Diesel from a different vendor. A Bully Dog customer had this trouble last year and after he changed brands the trouble went away. Its worth a quick try.

Of the 6 customers that have reported this trouble....2 have lost their injection pump soon after, 2 were fixed by the reflash, 1 disconnected the batteries for a few hours and it fixed it, and 1 customer I built them larger injectors and traded them out. The set I received back went into another truck and the trouble was not there. This is leading me to believe that some injection pumps are just more sensitive than others of what injector they have in front of them. Its very hard to nail down exactly what is going on, but the electronic idle fueling curves are certainly at the top of the suspect list.

Try those things and PM me or the dealer you got them from and we can get it handled.

Don~
Old 09-11-2004, 01:52 AM

Thanks Don, I will check out the things you mentioned and PM you. I appreciate it. Everyone said you stand behind your stuff and will help me to make it right. It's awesome to see that it's true!
Thanks again

P.S. I can't believe the power I got from your injectors! Top notch.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your truck was bone stock and doing this I would be suspicious that the lock up clutch in the torque convertor is staying engaged for some reason. I remember this being an issue on some 01 V-10 trucks, but don't recall it being an issue with the diesel.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:55 PM

My truck recently started doing the same thing. ONLY when it is hot after the truck has warmed up. let it sit for an hour or so, cranks up fine, idles good, go to reverse or drive and without any warning it just dies. Within the last year I have replaced the VP44, added a FASS, installed DD2 injectors, and the transmission is fully built DTT with a stock output shaft built by TiminVA from the board here(TRE Diesel in Virginia Beach). I am guessing the TC is just really tight. I plan on dropping the pan on the transmission this weekend, replacing the filter and fluid. I am not totally convinced this is a transmission issue though, but it sure feels like it is. Furthermore over the last couple of tanks of fuel the RPMs blip up 50-100 RPM while at highway speed, totally at random. I am at a loss.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I felt it is better than posting a repeat to get linked back to.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:59 PM

There may be a little screw you may need to adjust, an idle screw, mainly for 12 valves tho.....
Old 11-13-2008, 07:36 PM

With my torque converter, when it is cold, I have to start the truck and put it in neutral until the trans temp reaches 70 degrees or so. If I don't do this the truck will die going into direct or reverse. Is the temeprature getting colder where you are at? It sounds like you have only had the new trans while the weather was warm. My situation may be unique to guys with the Viscus Clutch 5 Star T/C but I thought there may be a chance that this might help you.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:36 PM

my truck does the same thing, i always attributed it the the tight converter and cold fluid. It was much worse with the 91% converter then it is with the 89% i have now.

Randy