Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Fog Lights??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog Lights??

Hello all.....
I have a 2001 Dodge SWB QC Auto and I didnt get foglights when I bought the truck new. While doing some maintenance stuff under the truck yesterday, I noticed two wires, one on each side near the front bumper with plugs on the ends. I was wondering if anyone knows if this is where the factory foglights are pluged in? I would like to add some aftermarket lights but I dont want to hook anything up unless I'm absolutely sure WHAT im hooking up, if that makes sense?

Happy Labor Day!
Old 09-04-2004, 11:29 AM

What are the wire colors attached to the connectors?
Old 09-04-2004, 08:58 PM

Most of these trucks are built with the same wiring harness, so I would say go for it. If your truck has the foglight switch integrated with the head light switch, you can probably hook it up. In that case, you'll need a fuse for the in cab fuse panel, a relay (or two) for the fusebox under the hood and two 35watt fog lights. If you don't have the integrated foglight switch, you're probably best off installing the foglights separately. JMHO, YMMV, not resposible if you burn your truck down.

brandon.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:20 PM
Muted User

mine did not have foglights either. i also had the wires with the plugs. i put in 2 6" hella's and cut the connectors off those wires and used them. they are for the foglights. i have pics of my truck in my photo gallery.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, they are for foglights. My 1992 Spirit also had the correct wiring for factory lights, as specified for Canadian purchase. I had to swap front bumber covers, install a Canadian headlight switch, and plug in the relay and I had a Canadian issue front end! Much better driving at night through deer infested territory!
Old 09-05-2004, 01:33 PM

I was looking closer at the plugs today, and the drivers side plug has a red and blue wire. This plug is located right next to the transmission cooler lines. The passenger side plug has a black and grey wire. But these two plugs appear to be different from one another.
I checked the owners manual and it looks like you turn the headlight switch on, then pull it out to turn the foglights on. I tried this, and I couldnt get the switch to pull out, so I guess I dont have the integrated foglight switch...
My luck...
Old 09-05-2004, 01:58 PM

If the wiring is right, (which I would think that it is), it would just be a matter of getting the headlight switch with the integrated foglight switch. I would think you could get one at a salvage yard pretty cheap, or maybe even ebay.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:03 PM

I know NOTHING about this guy, but he is supposedly selling a complete OEM kit for the foglights with switch, wiring, lights and brackets. Looks interesting.

HERE is a link to the auction.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dreamdrummr
I was looking closer at the plugs today, and the drivers side plug has a red and blue wire. This plug is located right next to the transmission cooler lines. The passenger side plug has a black and grey wire. But these two plugs appear to be different from one another.
I checked the owners manual and it looks like you turn the headlight switch on, then pull it out to turn the foglights on. I tried this, and I couldnt get the switch to pull out, so I guess I dont have the integrated foglight switch...
My luck...
True enough -- you pull out on the switch ****. But, if you don't have the little foglight symbol on the upper left corner, your switch isn't compatible. That little foglight symbol is backlit at night, too. I am looking for the factory type setup for my wife's Grand Caravan -- seems to be the only option (other than possibly leather interior) she doesn't have.