3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Non Fog lights to Fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non Fog lights to Fog lights

My truck did not come with fog lights but I looked under the bumper and the wiring harness is there for them. Has anyone installed oem fog lights on a truck that did not come with them? what did you do about the switch to turn them on? On the trucks that have fog lights I think you push in the *** that you use to turn your headlights on, can I just buy the oem switch (for trucks w/ headlights)and then the fog light assemblies?
Old 09-22-2006, 02:02 AM

I just did this yesterday. I bought a fog light kit from a dealer on ebay for $118 plus shipping that included two lights, the harness between them, the bezels, and the factory switch. It was quite possibly the easiest thing ive done to my truck other than the floormats.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Boz007
I just did this yesterday. I bought a fog light kit from a dealer on ebay for $118 plus shipping that included two lights, the harness between them, the bezels, and the factory switch. It was quite possibly the easiest thing ive done to my truck other than the floormats.
Yep, bought mine online(got tow mirrors at the same time)

Real easy install.
Just check under the drivers side of the front bumper, should see a connector to a harness right above the drivers fog light. Then installing the kit is just bolt the fogs in place, put in plastic bezel, plug in harness, and replace dash switch.
20mintues, tops
Old 09-22-2006, 11:37 AM

So the stock wiring harness will plug into the new switch on the dash? and thanks for the help
Old 09-22-2006, 11:40 AM

Boz007...the new switch, does it just replace the *** you use to turn your lights on but now you can push it in?
Old 09-22-2006, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by fjbiker86
Boz007...the new switch, does it just replace the *** you use to turn your lights on but now you can push it in?
New switch replaces your old one, its a factory switch, fits/works like a glove!
And yes, harness plugs right in.

Its just as easy as it sounds, if not easier
Old 09-22-2006, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Stacked97
New switch replaces your old one, its a factory switch, fits/works like a glove!
And yes, harness plugs right in.

Its just as easy as it sounds, if not easier
Yep. Factory turn ****/push button. Its all plug n play.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:04 PM

I am also wanting to get the fog lights for my truck. I just wanted to make sure I got everything I needed before I order. If the harness is already on our trucks then the only thing we would need is the fog lamps and the new light switch ??? I saw where someone said you had to run a harness from one fog lamp to the other one ??? Is this just for people that do not already have the pre-wired harness on there truck ???
Old 09-22-2006, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by deezulsmoke
I am also wanting to get the fog lights for my truck. I just wanted to make sure I got everything I needed before I order. If the harness is already on our trucks then the only thing we would need is the fog lamps and the new light switch ??? I saw where someone said you had to run a harness from one fog lamp to the other one ??? Is this just for people that do not already have the pre-wired harness on there truck ???
The kit comes with everything you need.
There is a harness that goes between the lights, to the factory plug.
Its included in the kit.
Got mine for $120(hella fogs too)
Old 09-22-2006, 03:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Deezlsmoke - you need the wire harness that goes from the driver's fog light to the passenger fog light. The wiring originates at the Front Control Panel, then goes down to a connector by the driver's side fog light. Then over to the passenger side fog light IF the truck came with fog lights. Trucks that come from the factory without fog lights will only have the wiring up to the connector by the driver's side fog light.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:32 PM

Got mine for $119 from www.authenticdodge.com
2 housings w/ bulbs
harness between lights
new headlight swithch
Old 09-23-2006, 08:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My 04.5 did not have the harness, it is a SLT 4x4. Still I got the Dodge fog lite kit for $130 which included the complete harness, relay, both lites w/bulbs & bezels & dash mountable switch. I was told that there was a way to jumper something to make it possible to replace the factory light switch with the fog lite version but I decided that who cared, the dash mount switch is illuminated and works just as well. Took me all of 1 hour to install and by tying the relay to the parking lights instead of the instructed driving beam my fogs work with all light combinations.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Banned

The one thing that has not been mentioned is after you spend the 1/2hr to an hour just throwing on these lights is too aim them. I replaced my Laramie bumper with an SLT bumper without the fog's and had to add them. The kit comes with instructions on aiming the fog's and yes they will need to be aimed.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by donhov
My 04.5 did not have the harness, it is a SLT 4x4. Still I got the Dodge fog lite kit for $130 which included the complete harness, relay, both lites w/bulbs & bezels & dash mountable switch. I was told that there was a way to jumper something to make it possible to replace the factory light switch with the fog lite version but I decided that who cared, the dash mount switch is illuminated and works just as well. Took me all of 1 hour to install and by tying the relay to the parking lights instead of the instructed driving beam my fogs work with all light combinations.
I added the fog kit with factory switch to my Megacab, which had the factory harness at the driver's side light, and my fogs work with the high beams on also.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:48 AM

Thanks to this thread, I just ordered a set for my truck. My wife will be thrilled. lol

Quick Reply: Non Fog lights to Fog lights