Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

EZ instead of the Smarty???

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dodgediesel
Would a 01 HO with a HRVP 44 benifit by going to a SO VP44? I see alot of talk about going to a SO VP$$ out there...
well depends. If your running say, mach 4's and a juice, Then no it wouldnt. But if your running the HO pump and want hight hp, then (i believe) the SO pump is the way to go.

I really dont think the price of buying a SO vp to replace a HRVP would offset the performance aspect of it, no matter how you go about it. However, im switching dad vp's so im getting it for free.

I'm guessing your talking about your truck. No, you wouldnt see any benificial performance gains to offset the 1k price tag plus labor.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:18 PM

Yes, I was wondering for my truck. Would I benifit from a TST PM3 Comp or should I buy just a regular TST PM3. I want to get rid of my Edge comp box(problem child) and use the TST with my smarty that I've had for a while. What do you think Blackdiesel??
Old 10-26-2006, 09:20 PM
Registered

what are you planning to do turbo wise? i think i would just get the tst pm3 if your staying with the hx. But the comp version is only 50 bucks extra
Old 10-26-2006, 09:25 PM

Some folks says I won't benifit with the PM3 Comp because I have a HO truck with a HRVP 44??? I have a set of BD twins around the corner.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rjohnson
Not sure I follow you?
What your suggesting is exactly what is being done by the EZ, Smarty, Comp, Van Akken, etc.!
They all "bring the fuel earlier"
RJ
I am not sure I follow myself on this one. I was thinking he wanted the EZ for even more fuel than the TST was giving him earlier in the RPM range, and I was wondering if the TST could be programmed to give more fuel at low RPM. Or is at max fuel for any given RPM on level nine?

I'm really not trying to hijack the thread, just learning. And confusing others on here actually trying to help
Old 10-26-2006, 09:41 PM

You lost me now!!!
Old 10-26-2006, 10:09 PM
Banned

You lost me now!!!
I think I lost everyone else a ways back

It made sense in my head I swear!!!
Old 10-26-2006, 10:23 PM

Some folks says I won't benifit with the PM3 Comp because I have a HO truck with a HRVP 44??? I have a set of BD twins around the corner.
That was me and I misspoke. Sorry, I saw 6 speed and didn't notice the hrvp in the sig
Get the tst comp- mine should be back next week
Old 10-26-2006, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by displacedtexan
I am not sure I follow myself on this one. I was thinking he wanted the EZ for even more fuel than the TST was giving him earlier in the RPM range, and I was wondering if the TST could be programmed to give more fuel at low RPM. Or is at max fuel for any given RPM on level nine?

I'm really not trying to hijack the thread, just learning. And confusing others on here actually trying to help
A Tst fuels on boost and the comp upgrade does change the amount of boost needed for the fueling to begin. I beleive its 3 lbs for the pm3 and .5 for comp? The smarty gives plenty of fuel down low plus helping boost build with less load (not sooner in the rpms IME) which is why it complements the tst so nicely.

So back to the subject at hand,... I don't think you'll find a timing box thats going to bring boost up as quickly as a smarty, but if you're looking for top end power for the track, sled, or dyno the catcher programs bringing the fuel may not contribute as well as a basic timing setup like an ez or just the sw3 setting. Or at least thats what people are finding. I have begun testing and I'll report my results soon.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:33 PM
Banned

Ok, now it is making sense in my head. I think. Thanks for helping.

I have a great desire to ride in a Smarty'd truck, just to feel it, for once. (Mine is the only BOMBed Cummins I have ever been in)
Old 10-27-2006, 07:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by displacedtexan
.... I was thinking he wanted the EZ for even more fuel than the TST was giving him earlier in the RPM range, and I was wondering if the TST could be programmed to give more fuel at low RPM.
I follow you now! The TST box IS boost limited....that is it fuels as boost comes up. And as Pha4tty said, TST Comp fuels more heavily at each programed boost level...... but (the real answer to your question is) IMO, lots of research & time went into setting up the TST and it may be foolish to try and "reinvent the wheel" so to speak.
Many drag racers have run into that wall and experienced 'quenching' from too much fuel before the boost comes in to give enough air. I did... with the MAD ECM... which is basically a Smarty stuck on #9.

That's why I said above that the EZ may be faster than the Smarty (when added to big injectors and a fueling box).... because it does not let us mess things up by adding too much fuel too early

Want to see what a Smarty feels like.... watch for next N.Texas Club meet. We have 4-5 you can choose from.

RJ
Old 10-27-2006, 07:54 AM
Banned

Thanks RJ and Ph4tty for walking me through it, now I actually understand it...

To bad the N Texas meet is so far from Tulsa, but I bet the wife and I could use a weekend away...
Old 10-27-2006, 10:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dodgediesel, to answer your question, in most cases no. But it depends on who built the HRVP and what they consider an HRVP.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by 95ram
dodgediesel, to answer your question, in most cases no. But it depends on who built the HRVP and what they consider an HRVP.
bingo... a true HRVP-44 should outperform a regular SO VP-44... Scheid lists a 70-100 hp gain by simply using their lightning pump.