Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

downshifting instead of braking

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
downshifting instead of braking

General question.... with my 6 speed, Cummins Diesel, 2002 RAM; is it alright to downshift when coming to a stop instead of using the brakes... whether you're towing or not? I've heard both ways, it isn't good for the rig and other say it doesn't hurt. What is the techical viewpoint on it, anyone know?
Old 11-09-2002, 09:21 AM

Re:downshifting instead of braking

I'm sure its ok, thats why they make Exhaust brakes for them.
Welcome to the site.
Old 11-09-2002, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the site EvKar,<br> Since I have an auto, I can't help you with that info, but I'm sure someone will chime in here shortly. I have heard some folks say that they woud rather put the wear and tear on the brake pads than the clutch, and yet others say that downshifting is the best way. When I do drive a manual, I normally downshift when stopping. Just my $.02 ;D
Old 11-09-2002, 04:31 PM

EvKar, welcome. When I am towing in mountains I downshift for extra braking. Downshifting may put extra wear on your clutch. To avoid this wear always synchronize engine speed for the gear you are shifting to. It is better for the engine to turn a few rpms more than needed for the gear you are shifting to than for the engine to be turning fewer rpms than needed. Good down-shifting takes practice. :
Old 11-09-2002, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive a big rig haul truck and a 1 ton I down shift all the time whether I'm loaded or not. Kees them exensive brakes from wearing out
Old 11-09-2002, 06:40 PM

One of the rules of the road from years back is that you are never in a gear that you cannot pull in. That includes and especially while slowing down.
Old 11-11-2002, 06:00 PM

I don't have an engine brake yet but I will get one shortly. I agree with running a lower gear on the downhill leg when towing. I also downshift from 6-5 on my wife's rig, and 5-4 on mine, but thats as far is it goes. Getting the E-brake will hopefully prevent premature clutch and brake wear.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:23 PM

downshifting while going down hills will not add to the wear of the clutch.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:10 AM

It doesn't add wear to the clutch but in reading a good article written by one of the guys at South Bend Clutch in the latest TDR magazine, they are not on the side of downshifting. Their argument is that that applies reverse torque to the clutch and that is something it is not made for. They do mention the Ebrake doing the same thing. Don't flame me over this one. I'm just giving some input from a reputable clutch manufacturer.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:26 AM

That is the first negative thing I have heard about South Bend, I will have to check into that before installing one. The down shifting is a necessary part of the safe operation of a truck. It is not up to choice, but is the way a truck works on the road. A truck run differently is asking for disaster. As I said, it is not up to choice. No professional driver would drive without downshifting.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:09 AM

Smoke Dog, That guy form South Bend better rethink his logic on that one. Reverse torque is applied every time the vehicle slows down, not under power. Maybe he was thinkin about how some guys down shift. I've been riding with those that just push in the clutch, downshift the gear box, and then pop the clutch without trying to synchronize the flywheel speed with the speed of the clutch. In that case, a bad shift that wears the clutch excessively by reverse slippage.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:48 AM

An old - but not bold - trucker's saying is that you should never go downhill faster than you go up, which means that if you don't want your brakes to overheat you had better downshift. The same is pretty much true in town as well. IMHO
Old 11-12-2002, 01:30 PM

Good rule to follow Bluedresser. The town of Placerville has freeway coming out of the mountains. In 5 miles there is a drop of 1700 ft in elevation. The freeway ends in town with three traffic lights then commences again after the lights. Before the first light is a sign &quot;Easy on the Jake Break&quot;. A couple of years ago this 18 wheeler was hauling a load of structural steel on a flatbed, REALLY Haulin down hill. He sees the sign and is tryin to slow his rig. A half mile on toward the first light is a 40mph sign but he is still going over 60 mph. Hits the brake pedal, no brakes. First light is green, his luck holds, no cars stopped. Then he notices cars ahead stopped in both lanes. Makes a quick decision to take off-ramp, posted speed 20 mph but he is still going 50 mph. At the top of the ramp is a 90 degree turn. As he takes the turn truck flips and dumps load coming to a stop. His luck still holds as he walks away with a few scrapes and bruises.

Guess he didn't follow that rule, pushed his luck so to speak!
Old 11-12-2002, 06:23 PM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In reply to the down shift. We have heard guys say that they like to hear the popping sound of the ebrake when the give her a good old fashion downshift. What do you guys think is stopping the truck.The compression of the engine is directly related with the dampening portion of the clutch assy.. I now you guys refer to these trucks as (rigs) but they are pickups, bada$$ ones at that, but they are not semis. Semis are geared differently and they also have a 14&quot; or 15 1/2&quot; double disc spicer clutch in them. We are not emplying that you sould not gradualy down shift if nessesary but it does have a dirrect effect on the clutch. We see the after math of the effect it has on the system and how it works in reverse on the dampening portion of the clutch disc. Where the majority of the failiers come from are with vihicles equipped with ebrakes mainly in the 5sp trucks because the clutch in them are only 12 1/4&quot; with a weak dampend disc. The 13&quot; desiegn is much better suited for this type of work. We are only trying to pass on what we have found to cause premature failier but we don't want to try and change good driving habits and we know that it is nessasary at times. We are just suggesting that you don't make an everyday habit of it.<br><br>Please don't think ill of us for our artical, we are only trying to pass on what we have found in the most professional way that we can. We were asked to do an artical on clutch life and cause and affect and we did the best we could. Please don't try and read between the lines.<br><br>Peter

Quick Reply: downshifting instead of braking