Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

dtt tranny acting up

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same thing happened to my 99' take it to dodge or a good mechanic it's some lock up sensor or something to that effect. Don't listen to these guys bashing this tran it kicks butt! 20k on mine when I sold it w/ out one problem and that was when I was young and beat the crap out of my truck!
Old 10-27-2007, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by AlpineRAM
Not really- as long as the sensor is within reasonable limits it won't even throw a code.
(But still mess up shifting to a point where it gets undriveable)

ncdodgeman20: Did you check the usual suspects? Fluid level, color and smell? Electrical connectors (Plug on the tranny and the PCM)? Take a look at the wiring loom (Sometimes it gets pinched or rubbed through).

Does your truck trhow any codes?

AlpineRAM
Just my thought, Generally if we see a truck that has erratic shifting, So on and so on we would see a CEL. True the sensor voltage could not be that far out, But if it was a gov. The Gov Gasket most Likely Failed, Or the Sensor went bad, Either of these items would instantly throw a code? No Offense ment , just stating what i've found. Yes it could be a problem regarding the electronics but most likely throw a code, If the connector is loose it would be intermentant, but throw a quite code!
Old 10-27-2007, 10:19 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by mysterync
Just my thought, Generally if we see a truck that has erratic shifting, So on and so on we would see a CEL. True the sensor voltage could not be that far out, But if it was a gov. The Gov Gasket most Likely Failed, Or the Sensor went bad, Either of these items would instantly throw a code? No Offense ment , just stating what i've found. Yes it could be a problem regarding the electronics but most likely throw a code, If the connector is loose it would be intermentant, but throw a quite code!

Well, on the few trucks I had to deal with problems like that there was no CEL on. (Maybe a fluke on those, mainly 12Vs- if that makes a difference, but also a 98.5 and a 99), in some cases there were codes stored but no CEL.
The connectors weren't loose but heavily oxidized in those trucks, so there was a lot of resistance over the sensor connector.

mysterync- I don't take it as any offense, I think this is a place to share experiences and help folks to find the problem without throwing tons of cash at it (and have the tons of cash to bomb the trucks) So I stated my experiences and you stated yours. I didn't think about the governor gasket- would you see this on a pressure gauge to the governor test port with the rear wheels off the ground?

AlpineRAM
Old 10-27-2007, 10:29 AM

I agree completely Alpine! Ya'll having snow yet? I think it was you or someone who posted some pictures of you local area... If it was thats some amazing country!

In Most Cases it will show up on a gauge but not all the time. There have been a few 1500's that the sensor has been laying in the pan and never thrown a code so all types of things can happen! For the most part i feel like anything on the electronic side (specially Trannys) will throw a code if theres a major malfunction. Mainly if nothing else a p700.

Just an opinon though!
Old 10-27-2007, 10:58 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
The snow is gone for the moment (at least on my altitude)...

I hope that ncdodgeman20 gets it sorted out quickly. I found out the hard way that overlooking the usual suspects can lead you to investing a lot of work for nothing. (I do all the work myself so at least it's just lost time instead of a boatload of $$ for a dealer tech)
Old 10-27-2007, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read somewhere that if your kickdown cable isn't adjusted right it will do this same thing, not sure if the person that typed that knew what they were talking about, but a few people agreed, Mine will sometimes sit at redline in first gear if I floor it, and won't shift unless I let off for a second, it does it more if I take off with boost in 4wd.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:29 PM

Have you tried the aluminum foil around the black with brown tracer alternator wire?
Old 10-28-2007, 07:50 PM

thinks for all the great advice i just got back in form out of town but i have checked evertything i can think of i have not droped the pan yet i going up to olles tomorow and let him look at it i did notice that i checked the fluid level and the fluid did have like a burnt cluctch smell or like a wireing harnnes melted but i was really strong smell though but once againe thinks for all the great advice and i will let yall know what olee tells me tomorrow but all i know is this does suck because i just put in some jammers 5 and still and been able to use all the power!!!thinks mike...
Old 10-28-2007, 07:53 PM

Opie will take care of ya! Watch out, Jake and Bobo both bite
Old 10-29-2007, 10:47 PM

a bad t.p.s. mite make it shift abnormal
Old 10-30-2007, 08:24 AM

Just a note, A service BEFORE 10,000 Miles on a brand new or rebuilt tranny is a must! Wear metal is extremely high in a fresh tranny! How many miles did you have on it? More than a 1,000 i know , but did you have alot of mileage on it without any services?