Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Did some searching/ Have FASS ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did some searching/ Have FASS ?

So my boss and I are looking into FASS systems. Being that I work in the fuels career field I think the more filtration the better. So I would probably get the double filter system. My question is if I buy one of these systems can I throw my factory LP out of a helicoptor at 8000 feet? Let me clarify, does the FASS replace the LP or assist it? Also am I remembering correctly. Heated fuel is the devil for our trucks fuel systems. Or is it just bad for the stock LP? I ask these questions because the FASS has a fuel heater. Also which GPH should I get the 95 or 150 if I should get one?

Steve
Old 11-17-2005, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by RED99CTD
So my boss and I are looking into FASS systems. Being that I work in the fuels career field I think the more filtration the better. So I would probably get the double filter system. My question is if I buy one of these systems can I throw my factory LP out of a helicoptor at 8000 feet? Let me clarify, does the FASS replace the LP or assist it? Also am I remembering correctly. Heated fuel is the devil for our trucks fuel systems. Or is it just bad for the stock LP? I ask these questions because the FASS has a fuel heater. Also which GPH should I get the 95 or 150 if I should get one?

Steve
Just leave the factory lift pump in place, if for some reason you have an issue with the FASS. The FASS is a pump that mounts back by the fuel tank and pushes the fuel to the Ip, it also comes with larger fuel hose, 3/8 I think (maybe wrong?) The 95gpm is more then enough, espeacially with a stock truck, my truck is BOMB'd (see sig) the 95 does just fine.

Tye
Old 11-17-2005, 11:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes to the toss from a helicopter at 8k, if its not over a populated area As for the heater you would have to hook it up if you wanted and the 95gph will be more than enough if your planning on staying under the 450-500hp mark. If you really want filtering you can get a 3 micron filter for it also.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:05 AM

When I installed my fass it totally bypasses stock lp. It did plug into the wiring harness. It was an easy install maybe 3-4 hrs. Had to modify my mounting brackety though, short bed they suggested mounting under cab, would have hung to low. So I cut there bracket in half and welded it to the front leaf spring bracket. Worst part was disconnecting the factory pick up hose to hook up fass hose. I did not try dropping tank as was about 3/4 full, but pretty east to do. I love mine.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:29 AM

FASS = goodbye factory lift pump, hello 15 psi of fuel pressure.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:17 AM

Agree with Ratsun, above.
-Ditch the stock Lift Pump. FASS is designed to replace lift pump. I pulled my entire fuel system (from tank to injector pump) in one piece - see gallery. It had early Max Fuel Flow System on it and sold it as a unit for what I pd for the Max Flow System.. I don't like two pumps inline.
-Heater not needed in most areas, IMO. Research has shown, fuel returned to tank runs 15-20 degrees above outside air temp, year round.
-95 GPH is more than enough for ANY hp level....and quieter.
-I like the 3 micron filter (factory is 10 micron). I run it over 500 hp (with 95 gph) and lose no fuel pressure.
-With your long bed you can mount the bracket high enough on the frame rail so filters are almost level with the bottom of it. I welded mine in place.

Good luck!

RJ
Old 11-18-2005, 09:49 AM

rjohnson,

Who did you weld it in place when it is made out of aluminum? Just curious.

I have gotten rid of my stock lp yet but it is in the plans. Why keep it. If it is bad it isn't going to help you any if you have problems with the FASS is the way I look at it. Yes a fuel heater would help in the winter some, but with the amount of fuel it is moving there will be some natural heating. Just use some good additives if you are worried about temp in the winter.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by farmer dave
rjohnson,

Who did you weld it in place when it is made out of aluminum? Just curious.

I have gotten rid of my stock lp yet but it is in the plans. Why keep it. If it is bad it isn't going to help you any if you have problems with the FASS is the way I look at it. Yes a fuel heater would help in the winter some, but with the amount of fuel it is moving there will be some natural heating. Just use some good additives if you are worried about temp in the winter.

I think he means the brackets were welded on
Also as RJ said the fuel returning to the tank is slightly warmer so.....
In my area the heater is not needed. One other reason to toss the stock L/P is it makes the ECM swap a breeze (planned on one for xmas but the O-rings and studs mess those plans )
Old 11-18-2005, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by ratsun
I think he means the brackets were welded on
YUP!

RJ
Old 11-18-2005, 12:37 PM

I bet that was alot easier then trying to drill those holes in the frame! That would have taken like 30 mins off the installation time.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:57 PM

It may sound stupid, but on a shortbed, it's easier welding the bracket on than locating a short drill bit and an 90° drill for those holes.

brnadon.