Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 09:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couple of questions

Maybe yall can clear this up for me. What are delivery valves and what do they do? How do they work? What's the difference in laser cut and I guess factory? Also, what's the difference in a Fire ring and an O-ring?
Old 09-19-2003, 11:08 AM
Muted User

Re:Couple of questions

I can answer part of that question. Delivery Valves are check valves. They keep the injection pressure at a constant state. They keep the fuel from draining back into the barrels of the injector pump also. Basically so the plungers don't suck the fuel back from the injector when it is on it's downward travel. Also so the plungers don't have to build pressure back up in the lines ontop of the injector pop pressure. Keeps the hydraulics of the fuel delivery in working order.

The plunger pushes the fuel up through the D-valve and after that the fuel can only go forward in the system since the D-valve shuts behind it.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:18 AM

An O ring is usually a wire that is installed in a groove cut into the head or block. This groove is cut so the wire (piano wire typically) protrudes somewhat out of its home and centers up perfectly with the stock "fire" ring (compression sealing ring) in the stock head gasket.
This method re-enforces the stock fire ring and keeps it from leaking compression.

A fire ring is newer technology that can be used with a stock head gasket (stock rings removed). These rings protrude into the head and block preventing any leaking.

Check out www.haisleymachine.com

--Justin
Old 09-19-2003, 01:32 PM

Another very important function of a delivery valve is to keep a constant minimum pressure in the injection line to prevent cavitation erosion caused by pressure waves from the injector closing.

Sean
Old 09-19-2003, 02:01 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts

PourinDiesel, but I beg to differ. An "O" ring is generally made from round section rubber such as Buna N or some synthetic material. For special applications it can be made from a square section rubber. It does fit in a groove as you described and it's purpose is to stop liquid or gasses from leaking. It can be on a sliding or a static surface. It is normally installed by hand.
What you discribed sounds more like what is known as a circlip. It also fits into a special groove. It is normally manufactured from spring steel and can be round, square or rectangular. It is installed and removed using special circlip pliers. It's purpose is to mechanically lock something in place.
Old 09-19-2003, 02:16 PM

Mexstan,

While it's true that most O-rings are made from some form of rubber, the O-rings used to seal our heads are made from a mild steel ring of wire. The wire is extremely thin and is crushed in the groove that is cut in the head and, in some cases, the block (receiver groove). The new Fire Ring setup that Van Haisley is now using cuts the stock fire ring from the head gasket and replaces it with this metal o-ring. The setup works extremely well and is holding a lot of pressure on these engines.

Here's a direct link to the head gasket that Van Haisley sells:

http://www.haisleymachine.com/Head%2...p;%20Studs.htm

On this website you can see just how thin the grooves and rings are:

http://www.performancediesel.net/Hea...ad_o-ring.html

John
Old 09-19-2003, 02:21 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts

OK, I give, although I am not sure if the nomenclature of "O" ring is quite right in this case, but will not argue. I was talking generally when I tried to tried to describe the difference between an "O" ring and a circlip.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:56 PM
Banned

So the fire ring gets cut out of the head gasket and they use a stronger type of metal in place of it to hold more pressure, right? I get the delivery valve part. But what's the point of the laser cut DV's?
Old 09-22-2003, 01:58 PM
Banned

Also, what's so special about this Bosch X-60 or whatever injection pump? I know there's not a lot of info on it, but I was wondering what is so special about it. Is it like the electronic equivalent to a P-pump or something?