2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

A couple dually questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 07:30 PM
BJK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple dually questions

Howdy yall.<br> I've been lookin to trade in my truck (A 97 F-350 crew cab 4x4 with the PowerStroke) for a dually. I never gave any thought to anything other than a Ford untill today. I have a flat tire so I used a friends truck to take a trailer with 6 head of cattle for a little 120 mile drive. His truck is a 2000 extended cab Dodge dually with the Cummins and 5 speed tranny. Anyway, I was real impressed with how it pulled and handled on the road. His truck is stock besides an exhaust system. It's sharp looking, all red, even the bumpers and grill. He installed a set of factory flip up towing mirrors.<br>Well, I've decided to try and find a similar truck to replace my F-350 PSD. I prefer the same body style as my friends, that newer one is hideous in my opinion, but I'm not here to bash trucks. I'd like to get some information on the type of truck I'm interested in. <br><br>One thing I'd like to know is what type of rear axle this truck uses and what gear/traction control configurations were available on the duallys.<br><br>Also, I've been told that the cylinders in the Cummins are sleeved, is this true?<br><br>Another thing I'd like to find out is if they are sleeved, then coolant addatives are not necessary correct?<br><br>What is the oil change interval and how much oil does the I6 use?<br><br>I know that fuel milage is totaly relitive, but what kind of #rs are folks seeing.<br><br>I appreciate any help yall can hand out.<br>
Old 10-04-2002, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:A couple dually questions

I'll try and answer as much of this as I can. If someone else out there knows more than this, or if I say something wrong, please correct me. <br><br>The rear axle on the 2002 and under 3500's I believe is a Dana 80. You can get them in 4.10 LS, 4.10 or 3.55 I believe. <br><br>I don't know about the cylinders being sleeved, but I do know that you do not need a coolant addative.<br><br>I change my oil every 5000 miles but I think most people are going every 3000. I use Shell Rotella 15-40. I have had no problems with this interval for 90k miles now and the truck runs great.<br><br>My mileage in town is about 16-17.5 empty. On the highway, right around 20 and 13-14 pulling a 9-10k 5ver (depending on gear).<br><br>I hope this helps. I know there are folks on here who could give a much better answer than that, so I'll wait for them to chime in.<br><br>By the way, welcome to the site!!!!! Good to have you.<br><br>Jack
Old 10-04-2002, 07:50 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm seeing around 15 mpg around town and 19 or so on the highway at 60 mph.<br>The cylinders are not sleveed, if they were you would need additive to prevent cavitation erosion.<br><br>My '99 has the 4:10 gear and unless I'm mistaken you couldn't get the 4:10 without getting the LS carrier.<br><br>I change oil (synthetic blend) at 7500 to 10,000, but change the oil filter at 1/2 intervals and top off with fresh oil.<br><br>Welcome ;D <br>Hope this helps.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:04 PM

The cummins is not sleeved.. and that is why you dont have to worry about cavitation and dont need to add the SCA's... <br><br>From looking on the 3rd Generation boards a while back, I think the 2003 dually comes with the 3.73 as the standard rear.. the 4.10 is optional.. <br><br>
Old 10-04-2002, 08:13 PM
BJK

A big thanks to those of yall who have replied. I've been looking on the websited of some of the local Dodge dealers and have found a couple trucks I'd like to go look at tomorrow. The info you've given will surely help me look less ignorant ;D <br><br>This truck was my first diesel. I've had it for a few years and have learned the PSD pretty well, it's kinda weird changing gears so drasticly, you gotta relearn everything all over again. I can tell yall and this site will be a big help. Thanks again.<br><br>Hey Cattle Hauler, I dig the mud flaps!
Old 10-04-2002, 08:37 PM
BJK

Sounds like a good excuse for a set of stacks to me!!! ;D
Old 10-04-2002, 08:44 PM

hey and welcome,<br><br>We just recently bought a 2002 quad cab dually two wheel drive auto slt larimie plus, it has the 3.55 dana 80 which is standard on auto's. I love the power this thing has, we haul horses around and usually get 14 to 17 mpg towing around 7000, and 17 mpg driving. The rear end in mine has the anti spin diff in it. I am going to do a schedule of 5000 on oil changes and tire rotations. Love this engine too, not sleeved, no need for additives. Aint it grand ;D<br><br>As i have read and been told, get some gauges, get a EZ or a comp, get an AFE or K&amp;N, new tranny and you'll be all set.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:53 PM
DPG

BJK:<br><br>Welcome to the site! You will find a lot of good advice here. I don't believe that anyone answered this for you: the Cummins takes 11 quarts, with filter change. I have the truck you see in my sig. I get around 15 in town solo, and 17 on the highway. I get about 11 towing an 11,000 lb fiver. High profile trailer, with a lot of wind resistance. You won't be sorry investing in a Dodge/Cummins. I've had Ford, GMC, and now my baby. The only thing I liked better with either truck was the Ford crewcab had more interior room. But then it was 18&quot; longer, and had a much wider turning radius.
Old 10-05-2002, 05:59 PM
BJK

Hey there Ted and DPG, thanx for the welcomes and the help with my questions.<br><br>I went and looked at a few trucks today but nothing caught my eye. They were all good trucks, but none were close enought to what I want. One came real close except for the color. It was white, my past 4 vehicles were white and I want a change. Maybe red, or blue, or green, or black.....just not white.<br><br>There are a couple million &quot;show me your truck&quot; threads out there, but how bout one of just duallys? I've seen Cattle Hauler's rig (very nice I must say, cant wait to see the flat bed!!!) and I'd like to see some others too to see how yall set them up. I already know I want a headach rack with the diagonal oval lights, and a tool box of course, but I'm not too sure what I'd like to do about bumpers. Anyway, I'd like to see how yall are setting up your duallies if you dont mind. But then again, if your anything like me, another chance to show off your truck is more than welcomed!! 8) ;D

Quick Reply: A couple dually questions