Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Baldwin filters!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baldwin filters!

Alot of talk about filters, especially fleetguard stratapore. Who has done enough research on their own to disprove the quality of Baldwin or Wix etc... Besides the few claims of elements falling apart (Fram) and clogging cooling nozzles. Has anyone cut filters open and taken a look. I have, and Baldwin seems to have the best construction out of any one Just because Cummins says fleetguard is the only choice, doesn't mean it's the best. Just a note, Baldwin filters are no ordinary filter, look at their website or go to a supplier and see for yourself.
Old 06-27-2003, 06:04 AM
DTR Advertiser

Re:Baldwin filters!

I have used Baldwin fuel and oil filters since I first got the truck. I have also been using them in our entire fleet of heavy equipment and trucks for years never had any problems. Tim
Old 06-27-2003, 02:49 PM

I have only used Baldwin oil and fuel filters in my truck since I got it as well. I will be changing my tranny fluid and adjusting the bands this weekend and will be switching the tranny filter out with a Baldwin. ;D <br><br><br>Tony
Old 06-27-2003, 03:11 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The whole fleet at work uses 'em, no problems that I know of.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:47 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

UNDERSTAND! No one is saying that Fleetgaurd is the best. Cummins approves many other filters. Check and see if Baldwin is OK by Cummin standards. Its not the filters ability to filter, its the ability to stand up to the harsh prssure the 24v puts on a filter at start up. Just trying to clear up the confusion. Of coarse Cummins will want you to use their brand but they do say other specific brands are OK to use.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:59 PM

No doubt about it, Baldwin and Wix make quality filters. I guess it boils down to warranty coverage, in the unlikely event something catastrophic would happen to your engine, and an &quot;approved&quot; filter was not in place. Then who's going to pay?<br><br>That TSB in regard to approved filters was posted some time ago, and I found it interesting that an AC Delco (GM), and Motorcraft (Ford) oil filter are approved for use on the Cummins, along with Fleetguard and Mopar. It seems Mopar always uses the low bid vendor, so you never know who's making it. AC Delco are made by Champion Labs, and Motorcraft is made by Purolator. <br>I'm currently using an Amsoil filter, which is made by Baldwin(just costs 3X as much), but I'm out of warranty coverage.