Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

any need for stock fuel filter while using a pre-filter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any need for stock fuel filter while using a pre-filter?

i am going to be installing a mitusa pump and am going to be adding a 2 micron fuel filter upstream from everything except the tank.

the new 2 micron spin-on filter will be the first thing the fuel flows thru after leaving the tank.

is there any need for the stock filter if i do this?
is there any need for the stock fuel filter housing if i do this?

does the housing just 'hold' the fuel filter, or does it serve any other purpose?

please let me know any reasons to delete or not to delete. tia.

jason
Old 08-26-2009, 07:50 AM

My opinion is no... you would NOT need the OEM filter UNLESS you want the fuel heating capabilities and water-in-fuel sensor it offers. I believe the OEM filter housing only filters between 2 and 5 microns depending on the filter you put inside it.

I know many have removed it if they added a good upstream filter.

However, with that said, normally folks push the fuel thru the new filter, not suck it thru. That would be hard on your pump I would think. Normally you have a strainer filter between tank and pump, then pump, then your new filter.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:11 AM

I'd agree with COred, most pumps cannot "suck" thru a filter, they are designed to push thru, My guess if you hook it up this way the pump will starve for fuel
Old 08-26-2009, 09:25 AM

Yep the pump will have a real tough time sucking through a 2 micron filter. Better off with a 100 micron screen between the tank and pump, then pump through the fine 2 micron filter.

The factory filter is probably somewhere around a 12 micron, if you go to wix, fleetguard, donaldson, etc. and look up the filter they will usually tell you in the specs what micron rating it is. Also the factory filter has the fuel water separator.

Most 2 micron filters will be just that a filter, with no water separator. So if you want to filter to 2 micron you really need a 2 filter setup, the 1st being a ~12micron filter/water separator, then through the 2 micron, like this:

Except since this picture I remounted them so they are vertical, made a big mess when changing them like this.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your going to need a f/w sep somewhere in the mix...

The housing provides you with a fuel hater and a WIF sensor...

If it were my truck I would plumb it like this

Tank--Baldwin FS1212--MITUSA--OE Filter--Cat 2um--Gauge--VP44

Gets you clean dry fuel with a WIF indicator and a heater pre 2um.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:15 PM

good point about 'sucking' thru the filter. i'm pretty sure the mitusa will be able to safely handle it, but i will definitely be asking Opie to be sure.

the filter i am using is a 2micron & f/w separator in one . . . it is a perma-cool filter.

doesn't the stock canister already have a water separator?
Old 08-27-2009, 02:56 AM

Several Mitusa's do suck through a prefilter. Though I would rather see the filter after the pump for a couple reasons not mentioned above.

The permacool filter mentioned above has a water seperator in it and is rated at 2 Micron

I would not loose the OEM filter especailly in Canada, I have always thought it to be stupid when guys get rid of the OEM fuel heater. I have heard they are restrictive yet there are Mitusa trucks useing them laying down over 1000 hp.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Doj Dewd
good point about 'sucking' thru the filter. i'm pretty sure the mitusa will be able to safely handle it, but i will definitely be asking Opie to be sure.

the filter i am using is a 2micron & f/w separator in one . . . it is a perma-cool filter.

doesn't the stock canister already have a water separator?
That FS1212 I mentioned is designed to be a vacuum filter, and would be an excellent pre-filter for the Mitusa. Water seps also work much better when they are pre-filter, the water is less emulsified.

Is that perma-cool 2um absolute? I seem to recall someone using one and it wasn't absolute.

Yes the stock canister has a water sep rated at 95% free and 95% emulsified water removal.

Opie, what are the reasons for your preference for a post pump filter?
Old 08-27-2009, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by ah64id

If it were my truck I would plumb it like this

Tank--Baldwin FS1212--MITUSA--OE Filter--Cat 2um--Gauge--VP44
i like the order of this setup. what are your thoughts on this Opie?

i will not be getting rid of the canister as i want to retain the the heater and sensor.

i also don't mind retaining the stock filter either - but is it necessary? maybe it would be a good idea to keep it as a 'just in case' filter should something happen to slip thru somewhere?
Old 08-27-2009, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Doj Dewd
i also don't mind retaining the stock filter either - but is it necessary? maybe it would be a good idea to keep it as a 'just in case' filter should something happen to slip thru somewhere?
Well if you kept the oe filter, the 2 micron will probably never get clogged!
Old 08-28-2009, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by ah64id
That FS1212 I mentioned is designed to be a vacuum filter, and would be an excellent pre-filter for the Mitusa. Water seps also work much better when they are pre-filter, the water is less emulsified.

Is that perma-cool 2um absolute? I seem to recall someone using one and it wasn't absolute.

Yes the stock canister has a water sep rated at 95% free and 95% emulsified water removal.

Opie, what are the reasons for your preference for a post pump filter?
The main reason for the filter is keeping the regulator clean though I noticed back in 2001 after installing the 2 micron filter my truck ran smoother. The mechanical pump is pretty tough, to feed it first is best for self priming and as everyone knows when the inlet to the pump is primed its output fills new fuel filters pretty fast. So if you are going to put a prefilter after the tank it seems like common sense to me to fill the canister up with diesel prior to screwing it on is all I ask the pump doesn't care after it primes.

As for running a different filter... I have listed several of them that fit the filter head that comes with the $40 permacool combo. Don't know if the permacool is absolute but feel that any filtration beyond that won't make any difference.

As for keeping the OEM filter... The permacool is before the OEM filter so the OEM filter is the one that shouldn't get clogged. But it would be nice if a new OEM filter was installed with the new system.

There is nothing new about these systems they are simple in design and easy to install. The biggest problem I have seen is with guys install draw straws/changing to some sort of larger pickup tube or run the belt too tight. So if you leave it alone change your filter once a year...don't plan on talking to me again for over 200,000 miles or more depending on if you drive on dusty roads.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:38 AM

WO I THOUGHT I WAS DOING GOOD BY USING THE DAVCO WITH THE WATER HEATER BUILT IN AND A 2 MIC FILTER IN IT. wOW I HAVE TO RELOOK MY SETUP NOW. tHANKS GUYS