Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Another Clutch thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 10:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Another Clutch thread

Hello,

I am just looking for advice on which clutch to decide on. I am leaning heavily toward South Bend, but even then there are a lot of options.

My mods to my truck are listed in my sig, except I should mention I have a HyperTech tuner, running just at stage 1 now.

My current clutch is a 13" HD kit from Valair. it lasted 7 years and only 40K miles. But, I believe that I may be very close to making more power than this clutch is rated at.

Can anybody help me ballpark how much power I am making based on my mods?

Also, I am not opposed to spending a couple bucks more for a clutch that can handle more than I need. If I do that will it increase how long it lasts?

I know that driving style has a lot to do with it. But I did nurse the factory clutch to 250,000 miles so i know how to drive a clutch properly.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

--Matt
Old 10-19-2014, 10:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
one more question I forgot to ask:

Is it possible for some type of oil leak to contaminate the clutch?

Like so many of these as they approach 300,XXX miles, the entire underside is a oily/greasy mess..

I would hate to spend the $$ and the time putting in a new clutch only to have it get ruined too.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:55 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
External oil leaks should not get into the clutch housing. If your rear main is leaking, or the front main on the trans you will get lube on the clutch...clean out the drip hole on the bottom of the bellhousing and check in a week to see if it has lube in it.

You could also take the small inspection/barring plate off teh passenger side of the trans and have a look, if the rear main is leaking you should see fluid on the flywheel...

Call Southbend and tell tehm what you are doing, they will suggest the correct clutch. They have a reputation of good service around this site.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well you already know you need to replace the clutch. IMO I would replace all of the seals that you can. Especially if they have never been. You already will have the tranny dropped. I had my rear main replaced when i put in the Double disc in 2010. (approx 40k miles) I know have some oil not tranny oil that builds up and comes out the drip hole. not much. but I'm not having any clutch issues. So either the rear main was not damaged on install. or cam seal? or I have some leak from behind the block.
I haven't really cleaned the back of the engine or tranny really good to observe. my leak has been going on for almost a year. I have never had any major oil lose while i check my oil between changes.

Talk to Peter at SB. I think if you can swing it $ get a double disc. I had a con-ofe before I put the 150 Injectors on the truck and it still slipped with my smarty on. It was also super grabby in reverse. So I put on the 3600 DD and traction bars during the same month. the 3600 I believe they dont make any more. its a heavy pedal. I learned to drive with it over the last 4 years so its no big deal now. the 3250 DD I would recommend.

But if you dont plan on adding any more power stuff to the truck and do moderate towing. I would think the 13125-OFEK would be fine. The clutches he is putting out now are even better than the clutch choices SB put out 6-7 years ago even then they were tops.

Last edited by DIESELWRKS; 10-20-2014 at 04:25 PM. Reason: add