General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Another year, another Ford, another new engine....

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford "new diesel"

I am sure I am so late on this, but just saw in the money section for USA Today. Not that I care, cause DODGE is doing the same thing, just simply an anouncement to help their marketing.

Ford to unveil new diesel engine
Updated 8/22/2006 2:52 AM ET E-mail | Save | Print | Subscribe to stories like this

DETROIT (AP) — Ford Motor will soon unveil a new series of large F-Series pickups powered by an optional new clean-burning diesel engine, company officials said Monday.
The new 6.4-liter diesel engine will be larger than the current 6-liter engine and will produce more horsepower, but it will have better fuel economy and be quieter than its predecessor, the company said.

STORY: Troubled Ford may expand buyouts, plant closings

It also will comply with new federal regulations for diesel engines that call for a 90% reduction in particulate pollution for vehicles produced after Jan. 1.

The company will achieve the reduction by using high-precision fuel injectors and a particulate filter similar to a small incinerator that further burns the particles to scrub the black smoke from exhaust fumes, said Barb Samardzich, Ford's vice president for powertrain operations.

The filter, which will be at the front of the exhaust system, will burn the particles safely, and the exhaust will be the same temperature as in current diesel vehicles by the time it reaches the tailpipe, she said.

Exhaust from the new engine will be as clean as the exhaust from gasoline engines, she said.

The F-250 and F-350 trucks will go on sale early next year. Ford would not release fuel economy statistics or pictures of the new trucks for competitive reasons, said spokesman Said Deep.

The trucks also will be cleaner because of low-sulfur diesel fuel standards that take effect across the country Oct. 15, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

The EPA said the fuel will cut sulfur emissions by 97% compared with fuel now being distributed.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:35 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Now if they can just find a way to keep them from bursting into flame........

Either that or come out with a Zippo Lighter edition Super Duty.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:47 PM

new ford

maybe they will sell trucks in pairs. one with cummins in it, and get the other with powerstroke for free. that way when the powerstroke has a stroke you can tow it home with the cummins.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:24 AM

Another year, another Ford, another new engine....

From today's edition of Autotech Daily:

FORD CONFIRMS NEW DIESEL FOR SUPER-DUTY PICKUP
Ford Motor Co. plans to unveil its new F-250 and F-350 Super-Duty pickup trucks at the Texas State Fair in Dallas on Sept. 28. Due to hit the streets early next year, the all-new 2008 models will feature an optional 6.4-liter Power Stroke V-8 diesel engine, which replaces the current 6.0-liter Power Stroke diesel. Both oil burners are supplied by Navistar Corp. The new engine, which has been rumored for several months, will be Ford's cleanest and quietest diesel ever sold in the U.S. Its particulate emissions will be equivalent to those of a gasoline engine, according to the automaker. Ford isn’t revealing performance numbers yet, but it says the larger engine will be more powerful and more fuel-efficient than the outgoing 6.0-liter powerplant.
The engine also will be the first North American pickup application of a common rail diesel with piezoelectric-actuated injectors. The high-precision injectors were introduced in Europe several years ago in place of solenoid valves. With as many as seven injection events, piezo units allow for more precise fuel delivery to help improve fuel economy, reduce oxides of nitrogen emissions, boost performance and lower engine noise and vibration. Previous media reports indicate the piezo injectors for the Power Stroke engine
will be produced at a joint-venture plant in Blythewood, S.C., owned by Navistar and Siemens VDO Automotive. The new diesel pickup trucks also will be fitted with a new particulate filter that scrubs black smoke from exhaust gases and periodically cleans itself via advanced engine controls. Positioned at the front of the exhaust system, the filter is designed to burn trapped particles without increasing exhaust temperatures............"
Old 08-23-2006, 08:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
....and the guniea pigs will line up like sheep to be unwitting beta testers for Ford.

I like the part where it automatically cleans itself. I wonder if it will automatically call a tow truck? (I'm so bad. )

Maybe this is a good engine for Ford and they can sell lots of them to replace the ones that didn't fair so well.

Good luck Ford!

Old 08-23-2006, 08:14 AM

I know if I was a frod loved that was stuck with a 6.o-____ I would be exicted about something new to replace my pile with!
Oilguy
Old 08-23-2006, 08:17 AM

I thought it had twins? Huh...sounds liek theres a bunch of new technology. this means hard to mod and I cant imagine the recalls. Who wants one!
Old 08-23-2006, 10:17 AM

my "particulate filter" cleans itself too.... I smash the go pedal after a while and viala, if you look in your mirror you can even see it clean itself out
Old 08-23-2006, 10:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks pretty promising...maybe I'll trade my trusty old first gen in on one.....aahhh-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, that's a good one, I kill me
Old 08-23-2006, 02:17 PM
Banned

I know I was sold on buying one when I read about those edit-electronics activated injectors. 7 events? I think they had more than their fair share of trouble with their pilot injection that they later killed. What did it have ... 2 events? 3 events?

Yeah, sign me up for one.

Last edited by wannadiesel; 08-23-2006 at 03:43 PM. Reason: site rules violation
Old 08-23-2006, 05:34 PM

New Ford cab-over

I was just looking at the 2007 Ferd tilt-cab. It has a Powerstroke badge and an International 4.5 liter twin turbo I/C V/6 with automatic. The engine sticker rates it at 200 BHP @ 2200 and 400 Ft/Lbs @ 1800. Looks like a CRD fuel system. Everthing seems to be well hidden under the mass of tubes and pipes for the intake and exhaust to the turbo. The tranny looks like nothing more than a useless A4OD.
The company next door just bought one on an incomplete chassis and had a Unicel 18ft cube box installed on it. It didn't sound like anything special. He torqued it up and it just made alot of noise. I know if I torque mine up, the tires have this tendancy to start smoking for some reason.......
Old 08-23-2006, 10:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I heard F**D is gonna be making the new low-particulate CumminGs too...
Old 08-24-2006, 08:19 AM
Banned

Why not? Since Furd owns Cummings.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:26 AM

Thats why dodges have cummins motors right...
Old 08-24-2006, 09:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JyRO
Why not? Since Furd owns Cummings.
Exactly!

Quick Reply: Another year, another Ford, another new engine....