3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Another Clutch Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 03:43 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Clutch Thread

Ok i have talked about getting a clutch for some time now and TCR i know you will have something to say . but i am slipping the stock one even more now so i have to get one like it or not. i talk to Lary and we looked at the SB CON FE it is rated at 550HP and also the new Double Disk Clutch 3250 12Cb Ductile Flywheel. but don't know anything about it. now they say that the Ductile you can't pull or even dragrace with it so i think that one will be out of the picture. but for the FE what do you think. i am right at about 400HP now and don't think i will be at even 500 by next year. i know that some of you will tell me to just do it right and get the best but i don't have the money because we are working on buying a house right now and my clutch is going to be gone by next month so i think the FE will work for now. also do i need to do the Hydro kit with the FE or can i run it stock.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 06-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Banned

the FE isnt really suited for towing, and you have a GN trailer listed in your sig.
The best thing i can advise is to call Peter at SBC, http://www.southbendclutch.com/contact.html,
and discuss your usage and intended power level with him.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:01 PM
Chapter President

yeah i do a little towing but we just sold the GN about a month ago i just haven't updated yet, i will call and talk to SB thanks.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:06 PM

I've towed light with my FE and it was actually kind of a chore. It is grabby, but you get used to it. It handles my mods with ease it seems, and I'm going to be throwing a turbo at it here soon. Should be just fine. And my favorite part is that it shifts lightning fast.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For what you want, you don't really need the FE. the OFE will suit you fine. I have thrown a MP-8 and Beta 4.4 at mine and it is holding strong, and I gotta be close to 500hp. I tow alot too where the OFE seems more reasonable backing and taking off without bucking hard. We have close to the same trucks so I think you would be really satisfied with the OFE.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:48 PM
Banned

I run an ofe, with the mods in my sig. and at that power level.

and my travel trailer is 10k lbs.
it will live, but you gotta drive it right. know what i mean? the OFE is a GREAT clutch, but anything can be abused to destruction, even with a DD.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Chapter President

well i ran my stock clutch with right at 400hp for about 6 months and before that i was around 370 so i'm not sure how i should drive but what ever i did with the first one must have been somewhat right. but i do drag race and i never boost launch i just shift fast and i don't dump it either so with that said do you still think the OFE will be ok for about a year or two?

Thanks,
Eric

Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
I run an ofe, with the mods in my sig. and at that power level.

and my travel trailer is 10k lbs.
it will live, but you gotta drive it right. know what i mean? the OFE is a GREAT clutch, but anything can be abused to destruction, even with a DD.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Fire Rescue124
well i ran my stock clutch with right at 400hp for about 6 months and before that i was around 370 so i'm not sure how i should drive but what ever i did with the first one must have been somewhat right. but i do drag race and i never boost launch i just shift fast and i don't dump it either so with that said do you still think the OFE will be ok for about a year or two?

Thanks,
Eric
You aim for the same expectations I do. The OFE will handle it. SBC has been known for conservatively rating their clutches to a safer range, they have the potential of handling more. My stocker took the abuse for over 2yrs, the OFE should handle more.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My ofe is still holding everything in my sig.That includes towing 10k+ and several passes at the strip.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:11 PM

Man I bet it runs good Homewrecker! I have everything you have minus the springs, studs, injectors and cp3 and I am just amazed at the power!
Old 06-18-2008, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by rip 112
Man I bet it runs good Homewrecker! I have everything you have minus the springs, studs, injectors and cp3 and I am just amazed at the power!
Its running pretty good.I'm having an issue maintaining RP with the TNT tune.John(Floor It) is working with me.Gonna be trying a different fca,if it doesn't work he's gonna upgrade the cp-3 to a stage 3at no charge(I think).Thank god for guys like John that stand behind their products.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:49 PM

Home and rip have more power than I'll ever have, if the OFE works for them it should do fine for me as well.
I'd like to add timing or something to get another 50 horse to put me over 500 or so, but will never do much more than that.

(But then again it was sposed to be bone stock till the warranty was up too!)
Old 06-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Banned

eric, you'll be more than happy with it.. still... call peter and ask for his professional opinion, i'm just a dummy.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:52 PM
wap

Originally Posted by homewrecker
My ofe is still holding everything in my sig.That includes towing 10k+ and several passes at the strip.
Is that turbo keepin all that fuel cool enough?
Old 06-18-2008, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by wap
Is that turbo keepin all that fuel cool enough?
Its doing ok for 1/8 mile strip I run at(1500* tops).Not sure how it would do on a 1/4 mile.Probably would get a little toasty.Towing is fine with the Smarty turned down.I have the money set aside for twins and a double disk just not sure what size charger to get yet.I still tow with the truck and need to keep that in mind.Leaning towards an S400 and if the spool up is a little to laggy will downsize the exhaust wheel on the 62/13ss to a 65.

Quick Reply: Another Clutch Thread