Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Allison tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anybody near about indiana that's curious, there's a guy here that has an allison. changed his 6 speed over to it as a matter of fact. i can give info on his website if anybody is interested. i don't know if it's legal to post it on here.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:09 PM

I had been thinking of this swap for about a year and a half , but others I had talked to thought it was a stupid idea or thought it wouldnt work. I figured it would work just to get the little things figured out . Takes a lot of time and thinkin. I am surprised of the interest in it. I do think it is a better trans and the gearing is spaced better. I like the thought of being able to switch modes from street to pulling and with the heavier built internals it should outlast the truck if not serverly abused. In my experience over the years and many many pickups both manual and autos, I have had way more problems with manuals than autos and as a matter of fact I never had a problem with an auto until this 47RE. I have pulled many extremely heavy loads over the years, way more than I should have, ummmm farmin business thing ya know, and the have grenaded manuals but the autos hang in. So that is why my interest in this swap. The owner where I work now Is hard on things and he has torn evrything up but the tranny in his D-max and all his big trucks and over the road trucks have the allisons in them and I can tell ya they get a severe beatin and keep goin . This is my opinion and my experience and why I have an interest in this swap. Im glad so many have the interest and Gabe is so helpful in understanding this . Many thanks guys . Great site. Keep the comments comin!!
Old 11-09-2006, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what is a nv5600 and 241hd t-case worth with 60k miles? might be able to recoup some of the cost as I know some members were swapping 6-speeds for built autos.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:00 PM

that is my friend in Indy that is also doing swaps. I helped him out some on his. It is a great tranny. I would say your 5600 and tcase is prob worth close to 4k
Old 11-09-2006, 09:53 PM

TORQUE... I am not trying to be cocky or anything like that but there is going to be numerous drawbacks to an Aisin tranny. Nobody knows how it is going to hold because they are not proven. Yes it will bolt right up, but they are electronic so how or who is going to program that tranny tailored to someones truck? They will not just start working in our trucks without some software modifications. Who works on Aisins? They are a Jap tranny and I don't know of anyone that works on them. This is not by any means meant to be a mean post or anything of that nature. These are just questions people would need to know.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:20 PM
RJF

None of the other electronics on the truck are bothered. The TCM is stand alone so it doesn't need to interface.
Gabe can you go into more detail on this. Electronics are always the part that seems the most difficult to me. Once you disconnect the 47RE and the ECm sees that it's missing, what happens? I understand how the Allison PCM works and is completely stand alone, but doesn't the Dodge ECM need to tie into it to know it's there? More details on the electronics please, thanks.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Banned

No offence taken Gabe32, like I said I wish you all the luck, seems to be a lot of interest. I don't think you will have much to worry about yet for a few years. By the time it is out, and shows it's weak points(which it will for holding big power like some guys on here now have ), and aftermarket kicks in with parts, you should have your foot firmly in the door on conversions here. This should give you a 18-24 months headstart, and give you time to work out the bugs, do quality assurance, do dyno# comparisons for hp/torque, 1/4 mile difference, and durability testing. These will be crucial for marketing your swap, if it proves it is better than a built h.p. 47re or 48re now.

Someone I suspect within that time frame, will come along and do exactly what you are doing now with the Allison swap(maybe it will be you if you jump on it) . Although it should be a little easier, and maybe with cheaper parts and labour MAYBE-MAYBE NOT (hard to tell yet), to adapt the Aisin 6spd to the older style Cummins.

Daimler/Chrysler will have the technical support for techs in place, before these trannies are released to the public(J-Body for instance will probably be one of the 1st to post info on it-don't you just love me putting you on the spot like that J-Body).

Now if you would like ME to be a BETA TESTER for your swap in Canada , I'm all ears, and would give it one heck of a constant daily workout playing and towing, especially once I add the TST fueling box very soon. Good Luck
Old 11-10-2006, 07:15 AM

I assume these Ally's are stock trannies?? Beefing one up to live behind a BOMBed Cummins would also have to be figured in if they are

Chris
Old 11-10-2006, 08:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dropped out of the "transmission scene" when I move to AZ 9 years ago as they already had a trans guy in place so I really don't go to training on the newer stuff anymore. If the Aisen trans for the CTD is HALF as good as the unit they put in the Jeeps people will be satisfied.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by signature600
I assume these Ally's are stock trannies?? Beefing one up to live behind a BOMBed Cummins would also have to be figured in if they are

Chris
Earlier I asked basically the same question... He says the strength would be comperable to an ATS stage V.

Will the Asin bolt to out 5.9? Or are we just assuming that?
Old 11-10-2006, 09:41 AM

is the transfercase that comes with this setup the same one in the GM 3500s? is it an electronic or manual transfer case and does it have a PTO also? im PTO crazy haha
Old 11-10-2006, 10:00 AM

also I heard the Allison 1000s that come in the Duramax don't have the PTO gear installed inside, is this true for yours?
Old 11-10-2006, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by displacedtexan
Earlier I asked basically the same question... He says the strength would be comperable to an ATS stage V.

Will the Asin bolt to out 5.9? Or are we just assuming that?
Comparable to a Dodge ATS V, or Ally ATS V???

Chris
Old 11-10-2006, 11:35 AM

I was just looking at a service book for the allison 1000 and 2000 transmission....I was cursious has anyone had any problems with these slipping because the manual says max torque before slip according to the manual was 880ft/pds
Old 11-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by signature600
Comparable to a Dodge ATS V, or Ally ATS V???

Chris
Here is our earlier exchange.

Originally Posted by displacedtexan
Not trying to argue, just learn...

Is the Ally 1000 as strong as a ATS Stage V built 48?
Originally Posted by Gabe32
that is a argueable question. I will say it like this: The allison in STAGE 4 form, I would say is stronger than a stage V ATS. I have sledpulled this season with mine and it never broke or slipped. I know of several ATS and Suncoast trannies with billet shafts that have busted. I am not talking bad about there trannies but there is only so much room to work with the 47 and 48re trannies. The shafts are too small and that is why they still break the billet ones. Do a search on "broke billet shaft trannies" and you would be kinda surprised at how many break. I am not trying to start a war by any means, I have had both trannies and the allison is by far the much better tranny. THAT IS MY OPINION!!

Quick Reply: Allison tranny