Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Allison tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am going to try to answer these questions quick. The electronics don't interfere with any of the stock stuff. Once you cut the stock wiring away, it doesn't look for stuff that isn't there, so no lights or codes pop up. Look at my sig and I have not slipped this tranny one time. I also was pulling in Pro stock diesel class. The tcase is the same one in the 2500hd and 3500's. It would be a manual or electronic shift. Whatever someone prefers.

Lance, I will get back to you tonight on your questions. Let me take a look at some things.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:25 PM

Pretty cool reading Gabe32. People may be interested to know that Allison shafts as well as planitaries have been broken. Enough shafts in fact to justify a few company's to start making them. Since they where referenced earlier I think the price on ATS's best Allison package is over 8k. A stock 1000 with a TC and transco has held up to 500 hp.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:00 PM

With the mods I have right now, I am pushing about 700 hp. The only I will twist a shaft is staging a 30 lb boosted launch at the dragstrip. That is 30 lbs. of twin boost. I have not done that, but I think most people get my point of what it would take. They just started last week making billet input/ output shaft for I think 1000 a piece. Yeah, they can break, but I think they can withstand more than the billet 47 shafts. I have yet to hurt mine and I think I put my tranny through the paces.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:12 PM
Banned

Before you put the Allison in, what were you running for a tranny? From my previous post, did you get the before and after dyno comparison, and 1/4 mile times, so we can compare fairly to a built up Dodge tranny.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gabe32
With the mods I have right now, I am pushing about 700 hp. The only I will twist a shaft is staging a 30 lb boosted launch at the dragstrip. That is 30 lbs. of twin boost. I have not done that, but I think most people get my point of what it would take. They just started last week making billet input/ output shaft for I think 1000 a piece. Yeah, they can break, but I think they can withstand more than the billet 47 shafts. I have yet to hurt mine and I think I put my tranny through the paces.
Your truck must haul some serious azz. My Allison Dmax only has 585 hp and turns 12 flat last time out and I launched around 10 pds. Just like the 47/48RE's the Alli output shaft has been known to break with high boost launches. To my knowledge I am the only one with outputs out right now. I totally disagree with you on your billet 47 shafts statement. As a matter of fact I know better, that is unless you are referring to one of the 300M shafts.

I do like your mod and hope it goes well for you. It was mentioned earlier that you can convert a 5 to a 6 speed. Do you have to modify the valvebody as well as your controller to do so? Also seems to me you could have as many as eight gears with all the clutch/planitary combo's. That too would be a very cool mod.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:45 AM

So I take it, in your opinion Opie, that billet Dodge shafts are tougher than stock Allisons?? What about the rest of the tranny? I know there only one man's opinion, and other might be different, but what's your take??

I'd say you've seen your share of broken trannies

I think I'll still go Dodge/DTT, but for someone in the ~500+/- hp range and doing some towing, this could be a nice swap
Chris
Old 11-11-2006, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by OPIE
Your truck must haul some serious azz. My Allison Dmax only has 585 hp and turns 12 flat last time out and I launched around 10 pds. Just like the 47/48RE's the Alli output shaft has been known to break with high boost launches. To my knowledge I am the only one with outputs out right now. I totally disagree with you on your billet 47 shafts statement. As a matter of fact I know better, that is unless you are referring to one of the 300M shafts.

I do like your mod and hope it goes well for you. It was mentioned earlier that you can convert a 5 to a 6 speed. Do you have to modify the valvebody as well as your controller to do so? Also seems to me you could have as many as eight gears with all the clutch/planitary combo's. That too would be a very cool mod.
I am not going to argue over a difference of opinion. I know of quite a few billet shafts that have broke in 47re's. I talk to enterprise engine performance and they have told about alot of broken ones. I am not saying that you can't break an allison shaft. We just have a little difference of opinion. It all has to do with how someone is abusing their truck. On the 5 to 6 speed, you have to modify both the controller and valvebody.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by TORQUE
Before you put the Allison in, what were you running for a tranny? From my previous post, did you get the before and after dyno comparison, and 1/4 mile times, so we can compare fairly to a built up Dodge tranny.
Before I put this tranny in I rebuilt my 47 and put a Goerand Brothers triple convertor and valvebody in it. I didn't do any dyno stuff because there isn't one close to where I live. I did drag my truck prior to and after the install. I know it would blow away my old tranny though. The shifting of the allison is just awesome. It is like having an automatic stick shift. The shifts are crisp and clean and doesn't slip.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by signature600
So I take it, in your opinion Opie, that billet Dodge shafts are tougher than stock Allisons?? What about the rest of the tranny? I know there only one man's opinion, and other might be different, but what's your take??

I'd say you've seen your share of broken trannies

I think I'll still go Dodge/DTT, but for someone in the ~500+/- hp range and doing some towing, this could be a nice swap
Chris
Chris,
Yes it is more than an opinion it is a fact. There is one company that has both forged and billet Dodge shafts are tougher than the stock Allisons.
I have a couple broken Allison shafts as well as Planetaries at the shop. Stock vs Stock Allison has a way better hand. The 47/48RE is a 727 derivative and it is pretty remarkable how much life Dodge got out of that same ole basic design. There are several aftermarket improvement components available for the 47/48 RE.
Everything in the Allison is beefier, better design and much more efficient IMO. All that being said I still couldn't justify doing an Allison conversion on my Dodge. This year I am going to push to make the highest hp with a VP44 ISB. There are a couple Dodge's already that are over 1000 hp with autos. There are no Dmax /Allisons that can claim that, yet anyway.

Gabe32, We do not agree on the billet shaft issue. What is your thoughts on making the Allison an 8 speed?
Old 11-12-2006, 06:04 AM

I might have to get this sooner than expected, today offroading I did good, but came back with a funny tinging/rattling sound coming from the transfer case when its in 4wd
Old 11-12-2006, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by OPIE
Chris,
Yes it is more than an opinion it is a fact. There is one company that has both forged and billet Dodge shafts are tougher than the stock Allisons.
I have a couple broken Allison shafts as well as Planetaries at the shop. Stock vs Stock Allison has a way better hand. The 47/48RE is a 727 derivative and it is pretty remarkable how much life Dodge got out of that same ole basic design. There are several aftermarket improvement components available for the 47/48 RE.
Everything in the Allison is beefier, better design and much more efficient IMO. All that being said I still couldn't justify doing an Allison conversion on my Dodge. This year I am going to push to make the highest hp with a VP44 ISB. There are a couple Dodge's already that are over 1000 hp with autos. There are no Dmax /Allisons that can claim that, yet anyway.

Gabe32, We do not agree on the billet shaft issue. What is your thoughts on making the Allison an 8 speed?

Somehow that's what I thought you'd say

I like the Allison, but I certainly don't think it's the end all Auto tranny. The fact of the matter is, the Allison/Duramax combo works really well together...Most of us that are asking questions about putting it into our Dodges have driven one. BUT, would a Computer controlled Allison work as well behind a dumb old 12v? I don't know?? If it doesn't, I know I wouldn't like it anymore than what I have!

Now don't take this as knocking the Allison, I'm not. It has held up well at sane power levels, and even some pretty high ones, but I've seen as many of them break around here as the 47/48 Dodges so I think I'll stick with what I have for now!

Chris
Old 11-12-2006, 02:15 PM

Stand alone contoller would be great for us electronically challenged trucks.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:29 PM

Lance, The allison has provisioning on each side of the tranny for a pto. I don't think the components are inside to run. It could be put in though. The tcase doesn't have any pto provisoning. Sorry for getting back to so late.

Opie, the 8 speed tranny would be insane. I am not sure that it could be done. I have a friend that works for allison in Indy and I think in theory it could work, but not in actuality. I think he said there would be conflicts in the gearing.

As far as strength goes, it is all opinion. It doesn't mean we are right or wrong, just indifferent. I will say this about the allison, it will shift exactly when you want it to. That is what I didn't like about the 47. I would trade my allison for the world. That is my opinion!!
Old 11-12-2006, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have broken enough Allison hardparts in dragracing to know what a Twin Turbo boosted launch above 25 PSI will spit an inputshaft/flexplate out before you can say cat in the hat.

Also Planetaries are suspect above 650 RWHP as are the clutch drums. Opie knows that is not a matter of opinion, but a verified fact.

But, It is an awesome transmission once the few weak points are worked out!
Old 11-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Banned

All I know is that my DTT tranny is doing great. Shifts when I want it to, holds great, drives great. I enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Allison tranny