Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Allison tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Allison tranny

What would I need to do to put a 1000 series allison auto behind my cummins in a '02 extended 4x4? My truck has the 47re in it . Does the allison need to be from a 4x4 also? Thanks.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First question: Why? Second.... How much do you want to spend?
Old 11-07-2006, 08:00 AM

GABE32 on this site has done the conversion and can and will do it for you.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if i recall correctly (slight chance), ATS has done this swap as well
Old 11-07-2006, 06:40 PM

I can do the swap for you. ATS has never done the swap because they don't know how yet. I know this for a fact. An allison is a superior tranny to a 47 in many ways. I also know this for a fact. The tranny conversion is just as cheap as a stage V ATS with way more features.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gabe32
The tranny conversion is just as cheap as a stage V ATS with way more features.
Not trying to argue, just learn...

Is the Ally 1000 as strong as a ATS Stage V built 48?
Old 11-07-2006, 06:56 PM

that is a argueable question. I will say it like this: The allison in STAGE 4 form, I would say is stronger than a stage V ATS. I have sledpulled this season with mine and it never broke or slipped. I know of several ATS and Suncoast trannies with billet shafts that have busted. I am not talking bad about there trannies but there is only so much room to work with the 47 and 48re trannies. The shafts are too small and that is why they still break the billet ones. Do a search on "broke billet shaft trannies" and you would be kinda surprised at how many break. I am not trying to start a war by any means, I have had both trannies and the allison is by far the much better tranny. THAT IS MY OPINION!!
Old 11-07-2006, 06:58 PM

I can do the swap for you. ATS has never done the swap because they don't know how yet. I know this for a fact. An allison is a superior tranny to a 47 in many ways. I also know this for a fact. The tranny conversion is just as cheap as a stage V ATS with way more features.
Same pricing for a built Allison Trans or a stock Allison 1000? Just curious. Also once you have a lot of power behind your Cummins, won't the electronics on the Allison be difficult to deal with? I'm not picking a fight just recalling some issues I remember some of the Duramax folks having. Maybe that is all the computers engine and tranny for the Dmax, not sure.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:18 PM

This is for a STAGE 4 allison. It is comparable to a ATS. That is the ATS with the stand alone controller. There aren't any computer issues like there are with the dmaxes. It is a completely different program. I have been driving mine for about 13,000 miles now with no problems at all.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:26 PM

Im goin to have to do a tranny job cause it is a known fact that the 47re is weak. Im just trying to ask some questions to find out if it would work putting an allison in and if it would be cost comparable to redoing the 47. I know I would have to do a complete rebuild and VB and torque converter and I figured if im goin to spend the money to do it right maybe spend a little more and get the allison. Im not sayin the allison is superior over anything else. It is just that I like that particular tranny. I dont intend to start any wars here. Just asking questions because I want to know . I want to start turnin the power up on my cummins but I cant now because of my stock tranny. Thank you to all for your comments. Great people here!!
Old 11-07-2006, 07:47 PM

This is for a STAGE 4 allison. It is comparable to a ATS. That is the ATS with the stand alone controller. There aren't any computer issues like there are with the dmaxes. It is a completely different program. I have been driving mine for about 13,000 miles now with no problems at all.
Cool, thanks for the info Gabe32. Sounds like it may be a decent option. Havn't heard much about any Allison conversions.

To my02CTD, there are many, many good options on building the 47re that hold a ton of power. You may find a less expensive option going that way or put a built 48re in it for that matter. Dave Goerend has a great tranny for the $ by all accounts here. There are many other good vendors too including DTT, Suncoast, ATS, and HTS that all hold mega torque and horsepower. 47re may be a little weak in stock form, but not at all when built by a performance builder. Main thing would be to find a reputable builder in your area that can take care of you conveniently no matter what option you go with unless you are able to do the work yourself.

Good luck, Matt
Old 11-07-2006, 07:49 PM

I'll bet there's a lot of people interested in this.
Can you use the school bus Allison, or where do you get the 1000?
How does the transfer case hook up?
Is the Allison TC better?
Can you give a rundown on whats involved in the swap?
Old 11-07-2006, 09:38 PM

Gabe- please PM me with more info about this. I have a 12v with a 20 day sticker on the back window, and REALLY want to start bombing it, but don't want a band-aid fix for the tranny. I realize there are some awesome tranny builders for our 47s, but don't you get another gear with an alli?
Old 11-08-2006, 07:51 AM

I considered this swap after talking to Gabe, but I had already purchased billet inputs/outputs, etc so I kept my 47/48 hybrid. The shafts in the allison are much larger than those in the 47/48. The pinions are much larger too, that is itself will handle more torque (if the materials are equal)

For my next truck???? Maybe
Old 11-08-2006, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Racer9
I'll bet there's a lot of people interested in this.
Can you use the school bus Allison, or where do you get the 1000?
How does the transfer case hook up?
Is the Allison TC better?
Can you give a rundown on whats involved in the swap?

A school bus allison is not a 1000. You can use one, some buses use a 2000 series but the internals are the same as a 1000. I have a place where I get the 1000. The transfer case is also out of a duramax. I put a triple disk goerands tc in all the allisons. You can use a dmax convertor but the stall is too high for a cummins. A very quick rundown is everything from the back of the engine is different; housings, starter, cooler, tranny, tcase.

Quick Reply: Allison tranny