Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Allison tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
also with the allison, it is a factory 5 speed but can be upgraded to a 6 speed!! which is a double overdrive.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:21 AM

and this can be done for the same cost as an ATS stage 5? how involved is this conversion, can the average mechanic do the install? when will we see kits available?
Old 11-08-2006, 11:59 AM

have you drag raced with this tranny? hows it shift for racing? what model of transfer case mounts up? and is the starter in the same spot or is it moved?
full time PTO?
roundabout price for the full conversion with the 6th gear?
Old 11-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Banned

To add to all the other questions , how do you interface with all the electronics, without any issues? Because every thing else behind it has to be changed, I'm sure total cost(parts and labour) is way up there also, as compared to a quality built aftermarket Dodge tranny. Are your 1/4 mile or hp/torque ratings different since you swapped out to the Allison, or not even worth changing it? How much $ for the total conversion? OK I'll stop now.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:03 PM

i am rather interested in this info also.. because i can get myself hand on a few allison 1000 right off the top of my head for really cheap.. i really never heard of this swap.. i have thought about it but never looked into it...
Old 11-08-2006, 11:03 PM

ok there are alot of questions. I will try to answer all of them to the best of my ability. First off, The swap can be done by a decent mechanic. The price is close to an ATS stage V, obviously a little higher but when compared to what it can do versus a 47 it offsets the cost. I build kits on a person to person basis. I want to make sure the kit is specific for that person. I never had a chance to drag race this tranny yet. I didn't have enough time this year. I was more into sled pulling. The transmission will shift however you want it. I have it to where it is a little firm but you can also have it programmed to where you don't really feel it. What is cool about this trans is that it can be programmed to have 2 different shift schedules, for example 1. daily driving 2. drag race or sled pull mode. To toggle between the two would take a flip of a switch. It uses a dmax tcase which is bigger than the 241hd but smaller than the 271. You still use your mechanical linkage. The starter is moved and uses a different starter. There is two spots on the tranny for a pto if you need one. As far as price, you will have to PM me because I am not aloud to discuss price here. Interfacing is pretty easy. None of the other electronics on the truck are bothered. The TCM is stand alone so it doesn't need to interface. I don't know about power numbers but all I can say is that way more power is getting transferred to the ground than before. I haven't got this trans to slip at all. It will kill the motor before it slips. In my opinion, there is no comparison between the allison and dodge. I could go on with a long list of the pros versus the dodge but it would be too long. I will say that you can have 6 gears, 2 different shift patterns at your finger tips, way stronger internals, and countless shifting patterns. Let me know if you have more questions. I hope I answered most of them for you.
Gabe
Old 11-08-2006, 11:59 PM
Banned

Some interesting reading, not that I require or need one , as I am quite happy with the BUILT tranny I have now , but none the less curious. It would be nice to see some dyno hp/torque #'s, along with 1/4 mile comparison times to a built 47 or 48RE that are out there now. Have you sold any to members on here yet, who can give any insight?

Hopefully it goes good for your business venture, and not to knock you but I'm thinking that once the new Aisin 6 spd auto is released, and the aftermarket has time to examine it, and modify as it requires, it will do at least everything the Alllison will do and then some, and be a fairly straight forward bolt up replacement. None the less good luck.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:37 AM

does the price you said (about the same as ATS V) include everything needed like transfer case, electronics, linkages, etc... or is that price just the trans?

also the TWO PTO ports, are either of these full time PTO, like on when the engine is on? how do they operate?
Old 11-09-2006, 07:53 AM

that is everything that is needed to make your truck run minus driveshaft shortening or lengthening.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:54 AM

i am not sure about the PTO. You are the first to ask about it. I will get back to you on that
Old 11-09-2006, 08:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gabe32
that is everything that is needed to make your truck run minus driveshaft shortening or lengthening.
So for a 2 wheel trive it woulbe be significantly cheaper?
Old 11-09-2006, 08:26 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
How is the gear spacing (for the lack of better english in my case) with the allison?
I'm really content with my built 47RE, but I'd love to have a taller overdrive and closer spacing. The problem when driving in the mountains is that the rpm drop from d to OD is quite big, I don't want to wind out 3rd to more than 120kph and it would really be nice to have a gear between. And then it would be nice to have a gear above OD- for those long cruises at 160+ kph on the highways.

AlpineRAM
Old 11-09-2006, 09:45 AM

A two wheel drive is cheaper. The allison has alot closer gearing than the 47. It actually does very well with the cummins because you can keep the engine in its power band better.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Gabe32
i am not sure about the PTO. You are the first to ask about it. I will get back to you on that
I did a little searching, not much for PTOs on them and couldn't find anything that said it has 2 of them. I just need one to run in park and all gears to run a power steering pump with. if it has another one that would be nice, then I can hook up a generator or something to it.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:44 PM

i should say it has a cover on each side of the tranny. Whether it can run two or not, i don't know. I will find out for you.

Quick Reply: Allison tranny