Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Allison tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, what's the consensus on ~500hp towing? Do both sides agree that having more gears with this kind of power is better? I don't drag race or pull, but I play on the street with the rice rockets and tow up to 12k lbs semi-regularly. My nv5600 is nice to keep the truck in good power band at lots of speeds, but auto would be nice for the spouse (yes, she can, but she doesn't like to!) as well as better launch from the green lights!
Old 11-12-2006, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gabe, what state do you live in? maybe some of the other DTR people in here can get a ride in your truck with the allison in it and see how it behaves behind a twinned cummins? also post up some pics of that beast in there, Im kinda curious how far it hangs down and stuff.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:01 PM

I was just wandering if these tranny's are so great why don't someone make a conversion ket for them with more knowledge base on them... sheesh they are very common in my area... i know atleast from 99+ silverado 2500HD and 3500HD have the allison 1000 in them... and i know 2 junkyards near by that i have already been priced for then both for less then 500.00 dollars a peace. If this really is as great you say we need to get some pictures and some install help and knowledge posted up for people to reference on before one of these big companies try to make the kit and over price it by 3 grand. Shoot the local remanufactured tranny company has the allison 1000 tranny with 24 month warranty and 24k mile warranty for 995.00....

this is one info that i was a little upset about when i looked into it was that the allison rebuild kit is a lot higher then then ours..

47re+Diesel rebuild kit 44.00
allison 1000/2000/2400 rebuild kit 134.00 "wow"
Old 11-12-2006, 10:25 PM

I am running almost 700hp and sled pull with my tranny with the stage 4 kit. I think anyone in the 500hp range would never hurt this tranny. That is also driving sensibly which I know some people don't do.

Lance, I live in Ohio and anyone is more than welcome to come for a ride. I will try to post some pics tomorrow. It might hang an inch lower than the 47 does.

Storx, I put kits together on a person to person basis. The stuff is too expensive to have stock piled waiting for somebody to buy it. I run a diesel side business and I couldn't afford to stock everything like that. The reason why nobody carries a conversion kit is because no one can program the computer right to make it work except for a friend of mine. Another reason is because still most people don't think it can be done. Yeah Allison stuff is expensive compared to 47's but you got to think 727's (47re) have been around since the 60's so there stuff should be way cheaper.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:01 AM

where is your allison stage 4 from? I saw one on the ATS site for like 7 grand or something.

they also have a stand alone controller for the allison that you plug a laptop into and you can change shift points, adjust pressures, lockup etc.. for 1500 bucks

would that work instead of your friends controller? what are the differences?
Old 11-13-2006, 09:24 AM

I build the stage 4 myself using Goerand's parts. I am friends with Dave and I love his stuff, so that is who I go with. That controller would work but my friend's is alot cheaper and he also works for allison and knows the tranny inside and out. I am sure he has a few secrets that they don't know about.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:34 AM

I just went to ATS's website and it is expensive and you still have to buy their valvebody to make it work. That is some serious $$$$$.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:56 AM

yeah it is. thats why I was curious how you got it all for so cheeeap. I really want more info on this swap, because now my transfer case is making funny noises, and if I have to replace the trans and the case, might as well go for broke. I was going to get a goerend replacement anyways, might as well be an allison.

what needs to be done to make it a 6 speed?
any idea how to get the gear in it for the PTO to operate?
maybe you can put together a list of parts included in the swap, and what does your friends controller do better than the ATS one? can you hook his up to a laptop to program also? what parameters can be changed?

sorry for all the questions, but im all giddy about this, hehe
Old 11-13-2006, 11:49 AM

Gabe32 Thanks for your replys. I have a couple other questions... What does your Stage 4 consist of, like what is the diffrerence between a stage 3 and a stage 4?

What is the highest stage available?

Have you every dyno'd over 600 hp?

Are you by chance useing one of the tranny controllers from power train control solutions?
http://www.powertraincontrolsolution...content-4.html
Old 11-14-2006, 05:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gabe32
None of the other electronics on the truck are bothered. The TCM is stand alone so it doesn't need to interface.
stand alone? No one makes a stand alone TCM for the Allison yet.

Id like to see a picture of this "standalone" TCM. I bet its simply a 3rd gen Allison TCM that has a standard medium duty J1939/LCT1000 operating system/calibration in it. THose are NOT hard to find. The LCT has been used in tons of medium duty applications behind the electronically controlled Cummins's. All you have to do is bolt on an SAE #3 bellhousing and go to your local Detroit Diesel Allison dealer and buy a TCM with the OS in it for a 1000 series behind ANY medium duty engine. Yes, ANY medium duty engine, be it a VT365, Duramax, ISB, whatever. Im 99.9% sure they all use the same sae J1939 communications standard so its plug and play.

OH and as for the "special switchable TCM tune", every duramax has that too. Its called TOW/HAUL mode

It can be done with off the shelf parts. I suppose it helps if you are buddies with brayden too...

ben
Old 11-14-2006, 05:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LanceD
does the price you said (about the same as ATS V) include everything needed like transfer case, electronics, linkages, etc... or is that price just the trans?

also the TWO PTO ports, are either of these full time PTO, like on when the engine is on? how do they operate?
the PTO is functioning any time the engine is running and trans is in neutral. You'll need a high-idle function on the Cummins ECM, and you'll need to wire in a switch to the Allison TCM to engage PTO/neutral lockup mode. PTO operates at input speed/engine RPM; its not geard as far as I know. Its just basically a ring gear thats attached around the parimeter of the C1/C2 clutch drum.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by duratothemax
stand alone? No one makes a stand alone TCM for the Allison yet.

Id like to see a picture of this "standalone" TCM. I bet its simply a 3rd gen Allison TCM that has a standard medium duty J1939/LCT1000 operating system/calibration in it. THose are NOT hard to find. The LCT has been used in tons of medium duty applications behind the electronically controlled Cummins's. All you have to do is bolt on an SAE #3 bellhousing and go to your local Detroit Diesel Allison dealer and buy a TCM with the OS in it for a 1000 series behind ANY medium duty engine. Yes, ANY medium duty engine, be it a VT365, Duramax, ISB, whatever. Im 99.9% sure they all use the same sae J1939 communications standard so its plug and play.

OH and as for the "special switchable TCM tune", every duramax has that too. Its called TOW/HAUL mode

It can be done with off the shelf parts. I suppose it helps if you are buddies with brayden too...

ben
reading this post and i felt the wrath lifting out of the text.. haha sounds like you knot your *crap.....please tell us more.. we are trying to take in as much knowlegde as i can.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RJF
I understand how the Allison PCM works and is completely stand alone, but doesn't the Dodge ECM need to tie into it to know it's there? More details on the electronics please, thanks.

the allison 3rd and 4th gen TCM's are NOT stanalone. They REQUIRE TPS/APP, desired torque, requested torque, delivered torque, torque managment, engine RPM, VSS, PNP/NSBU status, brake pedal active, and MIL request info from the ECM. They are basically slaved to the ECM and communicate on either J1939, J1708, or high speed GMLAN depending on application...
Old 11-14-2006, 05:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by storx
reading this post and i felt the wrath lifting out of the text.. haha sounds like you knot your *crap.....please tell us more.. we are trying to take in as much knowlegde as i can.

http://www.pacbrake.com/PDF/L5548.PDF

thats not realy specific, but y'all can see "CUMMINS ISB WITH ALLISON 1000/2000/2400" spelled out. There are thousands of Cummins/LCT1000 trucks out there, just not in a Dodge. All you have to do is fab a trans crossmember/support bracket, unbolt the GM-proprietory extended bellhousing, bolt on the universal SAE #3 bellhousing, do some custom driveshaft work, and go to the local DDA dealer and pickup one of those TCM's off the shelf programmed for a medium duty ISB/1000 app.

hope that helps.

ben
Old 11-14-2006, 07:17 PM

wow you make it sound so simple... haha
i already been priced 995.00 for a remanufacured allison 1000
not sure how much the SAE%3 bellhousing is but can be an arm and leg.....
not sure how much the TCM would be either and how it has to be wired up but cant be to much or to hard..
the driveshaft there are placed everywhere to do it really cheap...
and the crossmember i wander if we got one off like an silverado out of the junkyard that normally has this tranny and then mod it to our frame would be fairly easy just maybe shirtning or extending it......not something an average joe welder cant do with with a big hammer and welder.

Quick Reply: Allison tranny