Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Would you buy a vehicle without a title?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Would you buy a vehicle without a title?

I was looking at an ATV that has had some major work done to it. It has had the frame cut in half in order to install a motorcycle engine in it. It looks straight, and the owner says it's very fast.

The guy was asking $1,200.00 for it and said he didn't have a title for it. After checking it out, I determined that $1,000.00 would be a fair price if he had a title.

I then sent him an email offering him $900.00 for the ATV plus his small trailer to pull it. He didn't seem to happy with the offer. But I thought it was fair because I won't be able to sell the ATV if I ever decide to.

Anyone here ever buy a vehicle without a title that they planned on using as a driver? If so, how did you register it?
Old 08-06-2007, 10:08 PM

If you are buying it without a title, why can't you sell it without one.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Muted User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i sell old trucks without titles, just get a bill of sale from him and your legal.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by ArkansasRam
If you are buying it without a title, why can't you sell it without one.
Because there is no way to get it insured (At least I don't think so?)

And I should clarify about selling it without a title... It seems less "lagit" when there is no title. I know the VIN can be checked to see if it's stolen, but how do you register it?
Old 08-06-2007, 10:20 PM

Most people would be really reluctant to purchase an ATV without a title. It could be stolen or there could be a lien on it?

If for some reason you took it to a dealer for work and they ran the vin (which is highly unlikely) you might be out the money depending on what the deal is as they could repo it.

With that being said you can just drive it without getting a title and figure someone out there will buy it from you just as you are looking to buy it from this guy. Just make sure you get a great deal so when it comes time to sell it you don't take too much of a bath as most folks won't purchase something without a title.

Good luck.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:45 AM

You might have a tough time getting a park permit without a title.
If you ar going to use it on the farm, fine use it untill it is junk and toss it.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:05 AM

All states are different, some recognize a bill of sale but Nevada does not, they only use a title. DMV does not issue titles anymore here on atv's and most of the old atv's don't have titles because no one in the chain of ownership got one issued.

I will buy an atv w/o title but not a car or truck. In Ca. its way different so check your laws in your state.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:05 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
have a cop do a VIN check to ensure it is not a stolen rig, then get a bill of sale that states that the title is missing and you can go to the DMV and file for a lost title.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:58 AM

I think I kind of ****** the seller off with my low offer. I explained to him the reason the offer was low was the fact he had no title for the ATV.

I don't think I'll be buying this ATV. But it sure would be a blast to have a "junker" ATV with a 70hp 4 cylinder motor!

Thanks for the advice guys. When I buy an ATV, it will be with a title...or it will be for a low low price! ...And the VIN will be checked.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:42 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are buying a vehicle that must be registered and it has no title, just go to the DMV with the seller. Then it all gets worked out. In CA if it has overdue registration that will have to be paid.

I bought a Honda that was way out of registration. He was not going to lower the price and kept telling me it would be no big deal to get it registerd. So I simply told him OK, "I'll pay your price once you get the paper work straightened out" and "since it won't be hard to do let me know when you are ready".

He did it but was very unhapy how much it cost and it saved me a lot of hassle.

You can buy a vehicle with a lost title if it has a registration. That way you can see that the fees are paid (or not). You also have reason to believe who the legal owner is. Then just get a bill of sale and apply for a new title at the DMV.

If you are planning on registering something that has been altered, or needs a smog check. Watch out. Get the paperwork right first or keep it off road.

John