24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Would you or would you not buy this Cummins truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you or would you not buy this Cummins truck

Would you or would you not buy a 2nd Gen Dodge w/ 47re auto?

I will be going home this weekend and have to decide on wether or not I am going to buy. You've prob read my posts by now but if you need a refresher it is a:

2001 Dodge 3500 Cummins -NO 53
47re tranny
50k miles (mostly personal use, never really worked)
Assume I still have the 100k Cummins warranty or no??

Truck is a regular cab dump (12') and in EXCELLENT condition (looks new)..........also whats a good price, i can get for $17,000 but unsure of its value.....thanks!!! ://:insert://: cold beer

-can someone post a pic? if so i'll email it, i don't have anything online...........thanks!!!!
Old 08-17-2005, 09:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 truck is getting toward the end of warranty on time. It goes off the in service date. Mines done this december.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:12 PM

this Jan-Feb was the 5yr mark...............but what about the Cummins 100k warranty, still have that? truck is private party sale should it matter...............

$17k good or what? value?
Old 08-17-2005, 10:52 PM

seems like a decent price to me for only 50K not even broken in yet
Old 08-17-2005, 11:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
5yrs/1000,000 which ever comes first. i just bought a 2001 3500 4x4 qc dually and i love it. 93,500 miles.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:24 AM

2nd gens are the best.
2001.5 and 2002 are the creme de le creme.
Providing of coure you don't need a crew cab.
As far as warranty goes, you will pobably never need it. You probaly know the fueling issueson't be suprised, be prepared.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2 nd hand truck

Well to tell how the engine is get it oil sampled. Finning and a few others have them. Should do engine and trans look at oil in rear diff. Do they have maintaince records. A dealership can provide warranty info if the owner can't or won't.
Think you said that it wasn't a 53 block?
Look at all the weld areas for tinny cracks in the paint this will tell if the area around the weld is starting to fail. Look for rapairs, and anything slightly bent. I am still on the original brakes. How are his??? Parts replaced did they use and grease them??? He could have looked after the truck very well. How are the owners other vehicles???Check under the floor mats. Any old mud under the frame??? Mud around wheel wells this will cause rust. How is wheel alignment and tire wear??? Did he have any rust prevention done when new???

Figure on replacing the injectors if havn't been done yet. Does l/p run when you cycle key etc. don't know about price.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:18 PM

Just for reference, I just pd 21k for an '01 (actually 01.5 I now know) w/22k miles on it. It is only a 2500 2wd, so I'd say yes, your price is good, and yes I would buy it!
Old 08-18-2005, 05:35 PM

i have an 01' and love it. mine is in need of a lp or ip. or both. lol... but other than that it is great..

check for overspray in the wheel wells, on the frame, under the hood near the fender bolts, etc, etc, make sure it has not been hit bad.

how can you tell if it is an 01' or 01.5' ?

how do you know when the vehicle went into service? if they say my warranty is up before may of 2006, i will park that **** truck right back in there showroom. i bought the truck in may of 01' and have every intention of it being warrantied for 5 years from the date of sale.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:53 PM

yeah no prob with be'n hit etc...........family friend who keeps things looking ship shape, truck really does look new..........i'd post a pic but i don't have a www hosting them. i'll check it out this weekend again when i'm home, i've driv'n it, very smooth and strong......me likey!!!

i've been work'n 15yr days lately w/ my side work so i haven't been online a lot..........whats a LP etc cost??? i'm mechanically minded so i'm pretty sure i could replace it (plus its a dump, the tank is right there!!! haha).........aftermarket better? i just don't know those costs.

thanks for all the help ya'll!!!
Old 08-18-2005, 08:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by OUTDOORSMAN
[B]i have an 01' and love it. mine is in need of a lp or ip. or both. lol... but other than that it is great..

check for overspray in the wheel wells, on the frame, under the hood near the fender bolts, etc, etc, make sure it has not been hit bad.

ya, what he said!
Old 08-18-2005, 09:42 PM

Sounds like a real good deal to me. If you buy it make sure to have the fuel pressure checked to make sure there will be complicating prombelms from low fuel pressure.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:05 AM

the pump was reaplced maybe 20k or less ago, guy that checked it out (to check the oil underneither that was from the breather and to check for 53 block) didn't have anything w/ him to check the fuel pressure
Old 08-19-2005, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by tthomass
yeah no prob with be'n hit etc...........family friend who keeps things looking ship shape, truck really does look new..........i'd post a pic but i don't have a www hosting them. i'll check it out this weekend again when i'm home, i've driv'n it, very smooth and strong......me likey!!!

i've been work'n 15yr days lately w/ my side work so i haven't been online a lot..........whats a LP etc cost??? i'm mechanically minded so i'm pretty sure i could replace it (plus its a dump, the tank is right there!!! haha).........aftermarket better? i just don't know those costs.

thanks for all the help ya'll!!!
from what i have seen injector pumps run $1200 to $1600.... someone correct me if i am wrong. that is parts only. there is one i have read about here that has revised electronics in it to handle the heat. something to do with fed ex. if i had to replace mine myself it sounded to me that was the best bet.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:54 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by yfz450guy
[B]
Originally posted by OUTDOORSMAN
i have an 01' and love it. mine is in need of a lp or ip. or both. lol... but other than that it is great..

ya, what he said!

2001 = rear drums
2001.5= rear disks

Quick Reply: Would you or would you not buy this Cummins truck