3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Would you buy without driving?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you buy without driving?

I've noticed a few people have bought their diesels from Ebay. Obviously without test driving them. Those of you who have done this, would you do it again? Why or why not? What problems have you run across? Have you, or someone you know, been burned before?

After looking on ebay, if I can't find one locally, I was going to pick a Ram up off of ebay possibly. (eventually) Is this a wise choice?
Old 09-06-2007, 02:26 PM

If it was new from a dealer I would have no problem with it, private party.. never.. plane ticket is pretty cheap in comparison to major repairs
Old 09-06-2007, 03:10 PM

I have a co-worker and a buddy that have purchased 3 vehicles (Scion, Porsche and Jeep) off of ebay with out driving them and they have been very happy with how they all worked out things were exactly as described. The best part of the whole deal was I got to use my truck to go and pick them all up.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:13 PM

Didn't get mine off of ebay but I didn't test drive mine when I bought it. I had already driven my grandfathers 01' and that thing flies compared to my 1st gen so I knew the 06' would be like a bat outa hell compared to the 92'.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:26 PM

New from the dealer, it would not really be a big deal to test drive it, afterall it does have a warranty and no one has screwed with it. Used, a test drive would be a must. I've know many who have bought off e-bay and been perfectly satisfied and also many who have not. Anything used to me needs checked out. Now if that person went to a dealership and had the vehicle tested and produced a more or less certification regarding the used condition, I might purchase it without a test drive.

CD
Old 09-06-2007, 03:56 PM

I would never buy a used vehicle off Ebay that I didn't test drive first. You never know what you are getting into until you can physically touch it and examine it for yourself.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:04 PM

I bought mine off ebay and had it delivered to my wife while I was overseas. No problems and a good price.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:24 PM

My dad bought his 04 with 95k miles on it from a dealer in texas (dad lives in CA). He got 50 miles from the dealership and the driveshaft u joint let go. Then a little farther out, he blew two tires that were supposed to be in "good" shape... Don't know what happened there. The dealer did pay to have the u joint repaired and all the tires replaced, but down time was something he didn't need. Then he got it back to california after going all over the US with it picking up a goosneck and some cars... then.. a while passed and at about 105k the Torque converter in the trans took a dump.. so he replaced it with a banks billet... Then shortly after that, he realized banks gave him a faulty converter, when it took out the ENTIRE tranny altogether. Now he has a leaking injector somewhere, causing rough idle and smoke at cold startup..

Thats just one story from my personal family. I bought my truck new and have not had NEAR the problems that he has.
Scott
Old 09-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep.....used with 91,000 miles on it. Came from a reputable ebay dealer. They were great to work with. I flew to Dallas to check it out. Even though I had committed to the purchase on ebay, they wouldn't let me buy it until I was happy. It looked like it came off the show room floor.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
bought my last three trucks new- without driving them first-all transactions done through the internet.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:12 AM

I got my truck and my wife's used 03 conversion van on e-bay. I will only buy from a 5-Star dealer though. The great thing is that if you get there and don't like it, they don't make you take it but they know that if you drove hundreds of miles then you are going to probably buy something. Both times I also had trade-in vehicles too. The dealer I got my truck from gave me more than $2000 more for my 03 Ram Diesel than the local dealer wanted to give me too. I would not hesitate to do it again....
Old 09-07-2007, 06:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Although I bought new, an 07 5.9, I bought from the internet, within 75 miles from home. Good deal, he also took my trade in based on my description. Apparently he had a buyer waiting for my trade even though he knew it's history and problems. Had his service department look trade over , not to change value but to try and find problem with fuel system and millage prior to reselling. Don't know what happened from there but he said it was better. Would do again and he beat best price my son (a Dodge general sales manager) could get me by over $4000 so yes, it can save you some money. The savings was a combination of trade in value and out the door price but you would thingk family would get a better price. Not so......
Old 09-07-2007, 07:07 AM

I baught my '05 without driving it - off a dealer lot though. I had driven my friend's '04 a bunch of times, so I knew what I was getting. Had I read this forum before I baught the truck I would have driven it. I think you can tell if you can trust a person you are buying from on ebay. I've had good experience with that, partly because you know going in that there's going to be some "gotcha's". But let's be real - do you really feel comfortable buying used from a dealer?
Old 09-07-2007, 08:08 AM
First Person to Post in the 4th Gen Classifieds

I bought my 06 with 32K off autotrader from a smallish dealer in CT. I had it delivered to Houston and saved about 7-8K off new. It runs perfect and I got pretty much exaclty what I wanted. I also bought my with a tahoe and my jeep cherokee (trail rig) off ebay with no issues.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Banned

The only thing I would be concerned with is if it has the 48RE auto ... some shift nicely and some shift like crap and good luck getting it fixed if you get the wrong one ... warranty or not.

Quick Reply: Would you buy without driving?