Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

wiring offroad lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiring offroad lights

I have a light bar with 4 offroad lights on it. When I got the truck a few months ago everything was installed except the wiring, switch and relay. Does anyone know of a good simple kit for 4 lights?! Just to let you know that I've never done any wiring before either.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I only use heavy duty 'constant duty' solenoids on my trucks and equipment to run ANY accessory items. I wire them into a power wire that is alive only when the key is in the 'ON' position. This allows nothing to be drawing power when the key is off, thus eliminating the possibility of accidentally leaving something on to drain the battery. Another side benefit is if something I've wired shorts out and for some reason doesn't trip a fuse or circuit breaker, all that has to be done to stop a minor problem from becoming a disaster is to shut off the key. My theory is that this avoids fires!

This is how I wire accessories to a solenoid;
1) Run battery power to the solenoid with a battery cable, keeping the solenoid as close to the battery as possible to avoid long runs of battery cable.
2) Find a wire that becomes energized only when the key is on. Tap into that wire and run a wire from it to the small terminal on the solenoid. This terminal is what activates the solenoid.
3a) Sometimes, some solenoids have another small terminal almost next to the one referred to in #3. This terminal is used as a ground for the solenoid if the solenoid isn't self grounding. Run a wire from this grounding terminal to one of the solenoid mounting bolts.
3) Run a wire of appropriate size for the accessory being used from the other large post on the solenoid to the switch that will operate the accessory, (in this case, your lights). Make sure to place an in-line fuse/fuse holder as close as practical to the solenoid in this wire.
4) Run a wire from the switch to the accessory.

I can post a picture if you'd like, just let me know.

chaikwa.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuse everything as close to the source as possible and use the proper fuse size for the load and the cable. Thats the best advice for anything. I fuse everything.

Another thing in addition to the excellent post above, when routing your wire avoid areas where chafing can occur. Run it in loom and use a grommet when going through a panel.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:56 AM

Thanks, do you have that picture though?! I'm a visual person and until I see it it doesn't make much sense.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Yes, I can take a pic this morning and I'll post it a little later. Right now I need my coffee!

chaikwa.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Actually, I had one in my file, so here you go. If it isn't clear enough or you don't understand everything, don't hesitate to ask.

As a side note; these solenoids LOOK just like the old Ford starter solenoids but they are NOT! You have to specifically ask for the 'constant duty' type. Starter solenoids will just burn out after the first 15 minutes!

Here's a picture of one; http://www.buyersproducts.com/Electr...noid-Grounded/

They usually run around $20 or so.

chaikwa.
Attached Thumbnails wiring offroad lights-solenoid.jpg  
Old 11-27-2008, 07:28 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Painless Wiring has kits, but you can do it better and cheaper by following Chaikwa's advice.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:56 AM

All the quality light mfgs have simple to use wiring kits for your ease.
page 5 of this pdf has a simple diagram using relays that have terminal #s as well
http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hell...structions.pdf
Old 11-27-2008, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bob4x4
All the quality light mfgs have simple to use wiring kits for your ease.
That's true. The only problem is that usually you have to use one relay for each light or other accessory you install. Using the constant duty solenoid eliminates that because it is heavy enough to use for a LOT of stuff! I had my 2 way radio, emergency lights, siren, flood lights, backup lights, compartment lights, bed lights, fog lights, flashlight charger and Lord only knows what else all tied into that one solenoid and never had a problem in 14 years of use.

The solenoid in the pic I posted actually started it's life in my '89 CJ7 and was transferred to the 93 Dodge where, as far as I know, it still resides today.

I had also installed a second solenoid that energized a set of jumper cable plug-ins on the front and rear of the truck so that power wasn't constantly being fed to them unless I activated them with a switch in the cab. Made it a lot safer to hook up to a dead and possibly shorted out battery without the fear of it blowing up in my face when the cables were attached to it because I would be in the cab when power was put to it.

A third solenoid ran my winch in the same manner. I HATE having big cables running all over a truck with power in them all the time. If they were to rub thru and short out, they'd probably start a fire that would destroy the truck.

chaikwa.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by chaikwa
Actually, I had one in my file, so here you go. If it isn't clear enough or you don't understand everything, don't hesitate to ask.

As a side note; these solenoids LOOK just like the old Ford starter solenoids but they are NOT! You have to specifically ask for the 'constant duty' type. Starter solenoids will just burn out after the first 15 minutes!

Here's a picture of one; http://www.buyersproducts.com/Electr...noid-Grounded/

They usually run around $20 or so.

chaikwa.
Thanks for the info you posted! I like the idea of being able to run multiple accs. off one solenoid.
So the only difference between the one in your picture, and the one in the link is that that linked one is grounded by the case itself right?
I'm assuming that when you had all those accs. hooked up in your 93, you had an individual switches in the cab for each one?
Thanks again!!!
Old 12-03-2008, 06:45 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Moose10
So the only difference between the one in your picture, and the one in the link is that that linked one is grounded by the case itself right?
That is 100% correct. You just have to be careful if you buy one at a parts store because 1/2 the counter guys have never heard of a 'constant duty' solenoid. So half of those half of them will look at you funny. The other half will sell you a regular intermittent duty solenoid anyway and TELL you it's what you want.
I'm assuming that when you had all those accs. hooked up in your 93, you had an individual switches in the cab for each one?
Again, you are 100% correct! The solenoid is really nothing more than a switched high draw power supply.
Thanks again!!!
That's why I'm here!
Old 12-18-2008, 10:39 PM

What would be a good wire to connect to your solenoid to keep power until the key is off, whats a commenly used one?