Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Where to find 5HP 1Ph electric motor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 04:42 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Try a shop that repairs industrial air compressors or pumps, they might have a good used one off from a dead compressor.

Jim
Old 01-03-2007, 07:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tfeore
Get your RPM requirements(3600 sounds correct) and send me a pm, I work for a Baldor distributor as well as many other mfg.

I'll get you as good a deal as can be had (apples vs. apples that is)
tom
RPM is 1750 on the old motor. The motor has a 9 inch pulley on it and the cutter head has a 4 inch. That would actually make it closer to 4000 RPM, right? It needs to be fast since the in-feed roller speed isn't adjustable. Those hard woods need to slow down....but not to the point of burning...there is a happy medium in there somewhere. The old motor is a Power Kraft by Wards...if that tells you how old it is! I'm sure it has at least 1/4 of a horse left in it!
Old 01-03-2007, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4dually
RPM is 1750 on the old motor. The motor has a 9 inch pulley on it and the cutter head has a 4 inch. That would actually make it closer to 4000 RPM, right? It needs to be fast since the in-feed roller speed isn't adjustable. Those hard woods need to slow down....but not to the point of burning...there is a happy medium in there somewhere. The old motor is a Power Kraft by Wards...if that tells you how old it is! I'm sure it has at least 1/4 of a horse left in it!
Are you sure you really want to stick a 5 HP motor on an old tool that had a 1 1/2 HP motor on it? You might end up destroying the tool with all the extra power if you really load it down.

Brian Elfert
Old 01-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by belfert
Are you sure you really want to stick a 5 HP motor on an old tool that had a 1 1/2 HP motor on it? You might end up destroying the tool with all the extra power if you really load it down.

Brian Elfert
I just bought a 3 HP at lunch today. I think a 5hp was going to be too much. The deal is, dad told me the literature called for a larger motor than a 1.5 that he put on it way back in the day. He said it reccommended a 5 hp, but I think a 3 will do it. It was an old Power Kraft propulsion induction or some goofy deal like that. This 3 hp cap start, cap run will be plenty enough to run oak, maple, and harder junk. I just put a new set of carbide tipped knives on it a week ago so this baby better make some chips tonight.

My father had a whole stock trailer full of sugar pine that he got when the iron smelter shut down in my home town years and years ago. He said they used to use the 1"x12"x8' rough cut lumber to divide the ore in the rail cars somehow. I never exactly understood what he said, but that is the story I got. Now, I'm planing it down and building trim for the house as well as cabinets, shelves, and entertainment center stuff. We built our house ourselves, me and the wife, and I lack a month or two of trim to be done and some kitchen cabinet doors.

Old 01-03-2007, 05:07 PM

An old "repulsion start-induction run" 1phase motor was renowned for having SERIOUSLY strong starting torque. Was commonly used in refrig compressors or accelerating heavy inertial loads (heavy planer blades?).
Not seen anymore with improved capacitor start induction motor designs. PLUS it had liftable brushes and a commutator shorting spring inside that gave trouble when dirty.

No, I haven't bought my motor yet, it was clo$e to Xma$ and I opted to wait.
That heavy 1.5hp motor would be WAY too big for my saw...

Looks like you are well on your way!

K.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:40 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

What make is the planer??

It sounds like a Belsaw Model 9103.

If so, they were available with from two to five horse motors.

I have a two horse on mine and have used an identical one with five horse; I can't see much difference in using either.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A repulsion start induction run motor is awesome. As previously said they can produce huge starting torques!! I've only seen one and it was impressive. Hearing it start is an experience as well. Maybe you werent so thrilled but I'm into that sorta thing.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by DaveB.inVa
A repulsion start induction run motor is awesome. As previously said they can produce huge starting torques!! I've only seen one and it was impressive. Hearing it start is an experience as well. Maybe you werent so thrilled but I'm into that sorta thing.
Back in my VW years, I was given one bolted to an *OLD* homemade aircompressor made from a very worn out aircooled single cyl gasoline engine block(Cushman?). It was an open frame, medium/small motor w/o liftable brushes, likely originally made for refrigeration compressor duty (couldn't read the Hp rating but it was only rated for "110volts, 60cycle Alternating Current"). It had apparently spent quite a bit of it's life in a paint-'n-body shop considering all the coats of paint on it(and IN it). If the centrifugal shorting spring wouldn't make good contact with ends of the commutator segments at speed, it was about as wimpy as a CTD with no boost. I thought I had ruined it a couple of times but it was just old paint/dusty crap inside that didn't allow good contact. Even when running right, sparks and ozone smell when it came up through it's transition speed. Not exactly your "explosion proof" motor...

K.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:56 PM

I haven't seen a 5 horse repultion start induction run I don't think. But we use a WEG 1150 horse 3 phase 600volt to power the draworks on the AC drilling rigs. those impress the heck out of me.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Banned

The planer is an old craftsman, but I think it was made by bellsaw. I'm sure it is older than twice my age....or close...I guess I'm getting old too! Anyway, the paner now supports a brand new Daton Farm Duty 3hp. Now then, I may have pulled a dumb one here...what's new... When I put the new motor in, I noticed that it still didn't have any torque. I could stop it with a pine board and thought, crap, maybe I shoud have gotten the 5 hp. Then I leaned over and touched the metal bed of the planer and it shocked the holy crap out of me. Then I remembered I had replaced the twist lock plug on the end of the cord a while back.....funny how it ain't ran the same since.....so, apparently I switched two wires and was single phasin' the dang thing. One hot leg was tied to the case! What a bone head thing to do...especially knowing how many stinking motors I have hooked up in my lifetime! So, long story short, the motor I had works fine, but I now have a new one that is stronger. Chalk up another bone head story from the Jory Barn!

Anyone need a good 1.5 hp motor?
Old 01-04-2007, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DEMON
I haven't seen a 5 horse repultion start induction run I don't think. But we use a WEG 1150 horse 3 phase 600volt to power the draworks on the AC drilling rigs. those impress the heck out of me.
I mess with stuff that big pretty frequently although no 600 V at that size, no 600 V for that matter. Usually 2400 or 4160 V. Most times about the largest motor we'll go on low voltage (480) is about 300 hp. My largest so far has been 2250 hp. Got a much much bigger one coming up soon....
Old 01-04-2007, 07:53 PM

Gemplers, norther hydraullic, any poultry or swine supply house
Old 01-05-2007, 03:15 AM

I mess with stuff that big pretty frequently although no 600 V at that size, no 600 V for that matter. Usually 2400 or 4160 V. Most times about the largest motor we'll go on low voltage (480) is about 300 hp. My largest so far has been 2250 hp. Got a much much bigger one coming up soon....
actually the big winches (commander 3000 drawworks) that go to work overseas have 2 1150 600volt motors powering 1 drum. mighty powerful that thing is after going through the gear reduction box.