2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Has any one done this conversion? non electric mirror to electric mirror

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has any one done this conversion? non electric mirror to electric mirror

on my 2001 dodge I have the non electric towing mirrors. I would like to buy electric ones and put them on. if I buy the power mirror **** is there any wiring in the door to hook it up. are the trucks pre wire for power mirrors even if they didn't come with them? has any one done this conversion?
Old 12-18-2009, 05:54 AM

Considering the model year, I would assume that you have the wiring in the truck already. Easiest way to check is to pull the door panel off and look for the six wire plug sitting there by itself. If you have the power wires, all you will need is the adjusting **** and you will be set! Lots of info here:
http://www.elektro.com/~charlie/mirrors/
Good luck.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First I have to ask do you have power windows and locks?

If not you will need the wire harness for each door. They plug into two plugs under each side of the dash. The dash has to be dropped down to remove the door harness from the doner truck because the driver side loops up over the parking brake all the way up close to the VIN number tag and back down. You don't need to put it there when installing it. I just pulled it over the parking brake and zip tied the excess wire. The passenger side is easy.

I made my power mirror harness and used it that way before I decided to upgrade to all power and changed the door panels.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:00 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
You will also need the A/C control panel with the heat switch in it. Wrecking yard ~ $80.00. That is if you want to stay stock. You can wire in a heat switch but this was an easy and rather cheap alternative to that.

The backer plates from your stock tow mirrors should be already in there.

You will also have to pare a little of the rubber off the back of the mirror control **** to get it to clear the top mirror bolt and nut, not a big deal.

Getting the door panels off can be a bit of a trick, the mounting slots for the plastic xmas tree pins get brittle over time and tend to split and break off. Get the proper tool for this and get your replacemnt xmas tree pins from clipsandfasteners.com. The dealer wants $2.50 each!!
The xmas tree pins run around the perimeter of the door panels and there are two along the top edge that are a pita to get back in correctly but patience pays off here.

Its an easy upgrade and worth it in my opinion because they make backing a trailer a lot easier.

Your truck should be prewired for this especially if its a SLT Laramie Plus.

Kurt
Old 12-20-2009, 04:05 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I just remembered something important to your instal: Make sure you carefully route the wires thru the wiring slots on your new mirrors. Mine came with the wires hanging out in th open and some guys have pinched wires by not doing this when tightening things down! Just a heads up.

Kurt
Old 12-20-2009, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by dguru
First I have to ask do you have power windows and locks?

If not you will need the wire harness for each door. They plug into two plugs under each side of the dash. The dash has to be dropped down to remove the door harness from the doner truck because the driver side loops up over the parking brake all the way up close to the VIN number tag and back down. You don't need to put it there when installing it. I just pulled it over the parking brake and zip tied the excess wire. The passenger side is easy.

I made my power mirror harness and used it that way before I decided to upgrade to all power and changed the door panels.
Yes I have power locks and windows.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
I just remembered something important to your instal: Make sure you carefully route the wires thru the wiring slots on your new mirrors. Mine came with the wires hanging out in th open and some guys have pinched wires by not doing this when tightening things down! Just a heads up.

Kurt

Hey thanks lot for the help.