Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

when did Reader's Digest get full of curse words?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For whatever reason, my wife decided we needed a sub to RD and I took one look at the first one we got this year, and I thought I was seeing a rather thick magazine "insert"... Nope! That was the WHOLE RD magazine! TINY!
SOMETHING has gone down-hill, as that isn't the thick RD mag I remember from a few years ago...
Needless to say, it will NOT get renewed for 2007, as I can read many more enlightening stories from a bunch of crazed CTD owners on-line . Plus, I don't have to wade through all those "ask your Dr. for a prescription of Xrkdpitizamit" ads, each with it's own gate-fold. After all, the BOMBing drugs we read about here don't require a prescription (just as big a wallet )and we can pronounce things like Nitrous, turbo, propane, methanol etc.

Just my remaining $0.02

K.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:39 PM

Besides, who says they are cuss words? Who says that "jump" is not a bad word and "*$%^" is?

They are a series of letters put together to form a communication, even if I don't use words that "offend" someone, I can still make 'em purty darn mad...

In my opinion, they are only words....
Old 03-24-2006, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sea:\>Drive
Besides, who says they are cuss words? Who says that "jump" is not a bad word and "*$%^" is?

They are a series of letters put together to form a communication, even if I don't use words that "offend" someone, I can still make 'em purty darn mad...

My enjoyment of killing animals then cutting them up and cooking them on a grill offends some people. People need to realize that just because it offends you it doesn't mean anyone cares or should. You do have the right to be offended, however, you don't need to try and limit someone else or exclude them to make youself happy without considering others.

I must have missed something, because I've never seen ANY cuss words in reader's digest. Of course I haven't read one in about a year.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:25 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
We cancelled our subscription with a nice letter telling what I thought about them following the same downward spiral the TV companies have. Our TV set is on a lot less and on a lot fewer channels. I just don't need that stuff in my life - - life is too sweet and too short to mess it up with some wierdies trying to promote their filthy agenda and make us all immune to it.

PreacherBob
Old 03-24-2006, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by FiverBob
We cancelled our subscription with a nice letter telling what I thought about them following the same downward spiral the TV companies have. Our TV set is on a lot less and on a lot fewer channels. I just don't need that stuff in my life - - life is too sweet and too short to mess it up with some wierdies trying to promote their filthy agenda and make us all immune to it.

PreacherBob
So I'm thinkin you don't watch Dog Eat Dog??
Old 03-25-2006, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Sea:\>Drive

Yes and no... When I was 13 I got one of my first jobs ever-working construction (sweeping up and doing the schlep work) for my cousin's company-I got quite an "education" that summer and learned how to make masterworks of diction in the medium of colorful language. Of course, that's where that language belongs-on the jobsite, underneath a lift, in the lockerroom, or at the bar. I can't see why Reader's Digest wouldn't use the **** method instead of printing the word, because it certainly doesn't belong there.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:29 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by rammtuff
So I'm thinkin you don't watch Dog Eat Dog??
Don't even know what that one is, but after your comment, I probably don't want to watch it.

Bob
Old 03-25-2006, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
The closest thing to a "Dirty Four-Letter Word" you'll see here is FORD.
Ithought you were going to say the W word (work)
Old 03-25-2006, 03:14 PM
Banned

Words are just words. By themselves they express nothing, but they sure reflect a lot about their users. I read somewhere that the use of "BAD" language has no real effect on society, but I disagree. It is not the offense or negative connotation that is the culprit, but rather by using the same "word" to describe just about everything, good or bad, people fail to expand their language skills, and ultimately fail to communicate effectively. And to borrow a line from "Cool Hand Luke" "What we have here is a failure to communicate" and that always has negative results.

I do not know the exact reason why this site at some point resolved to not allow the use of 'foul' language, but I do commend whoever it was. By not resorting to use expletives, we all are demonstrating self discipline. And what is freedom without self discipline? It is not that we do not think of the words, it is the fact that we choose not to use them that merrits praise.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:35 PM

Y'know, my dear departed Grandma used to say you could determine a person's intellect by the number of "cuss" words they used to convey their idea.

I am no prude, worked construction, owned my own retail store and now drive truck. I can assure you that I have heard 99.9% of the available cuss words. And probably used 80% of them. At appropriate times (whatever that was ) Used a lot less in retail than in the other 2. Oh yeah, remeber when the meanest, nastiest thing you heard on the CB was "cotton picker"? I kinda miss that. Made you think of inventive ways to cuss someone out.

Sometimes I find myself thinking that the admins here are a little over zealous, but then I am reminded of what Grandma used to say. If you need to use cuss words to make your point, you don't have a point. And it is most certainly refreshing not to have to wade through the f-bombs. So, thanks admins.

As to RD, I really hadn't noticed. De-sensitized perhaps? It's still one of the squeaky cleanest mags out there. I'll have to go re read the last few to see if it is rampant.

Maybe it bothers some of us so much because it is becoming so prevalent everywhere, and now it is even invading our escapes? Not sure, but I think I'd send a letter to the editor offering to marry his/her parents if they don't clean up their act!
Old 03-25-2006, 06:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by greatwhite
If you need to use cuss words to make your point, you don't have a point.

And it is most certainly refreshing not to have to wade through the f-bombs. So, thanks admins.

Maybe it bothers some of us so much because it is becoming so prevalent everywhere, and now it is even invading our escapes?
Amen. I work with a bunch of ex- Navy guys who don't understand that we DON'T have to talk like that. it sounds VERY bad in conversatoin, my Mom once told me she would not go out to eat with me if kept using the F bomb. that made me realize how bad i was.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by greatwhite

Sometimes I find myself thinking that the admins here are a little over zealous, but then I am reminded of what Grandma used to say. If you need to use cuss words to make your point, you don't have a point. And it is most certainly refreshing not to have to wade through the f-bombs. So, thanks admins.

whistle]
You're welcome.