Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Truck bed tool boxes: Weatherguard? Wheel well style?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 12:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck bed tool boxes: Weatherguard? Wheel well style?

Anyone use Weatherguard tool boxes or have any opinions about them? I would like something more secure than the plastic boxes I have just sitting in the bed of my truck now. I kind of like the looks of Weatherguard's Pork Chop tool boxes, that I could still use my canopy, and that with them mounted off to the sides I could still have use of the full 8' length of the bed. I'd like to hear a little feedback about them before I drop $400~ on one.

Any other ideas about wheel well type tool boxes?
Old 03-07-2007, 01:29 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
I use the same style of boxes on my truck right now. Not weatherguard branded, but same construction. They are excellent for what they do, only drawback being that the locks leak when it rains, leading to a bit of a mess inside. I merely drilled a couple of 3/16 holes, in the bottom corners, problem solved. I don't carry anything that is weather sensitive in there anyway, just helps keep the snow off in the winter.

They are expensive, but if its all the lockable space that you need, they are worth it, I can still toss a full width sheet of plywood down in my bed. ( when I don't have all the other assorted toolboxes, etc. in there )
Old 03-07-2007, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Scramblinman
Anyone use Weatherguard tool boxes or have any opinions about them? I would like something more secure than the plastic boxes I have just sitting in the bed of my truck now. I kind of like the looks of Weatherguard's Pork Chop tool boxes, that I could still use my canopy, and that with them mounted off to the sides I could still have use of the full 8' length of the bed. I'd like to hear a little feedback about them before I drop $400~ on one.

Any other ideas about wheel well type tool boxes?
Haven't used any of them, but used to sell truck boxes. The pushbutton latch system is the way to go. They are usually infinitely more adjustable and less trouble than the other style (pull latch). I have always thought that Weatherguards were well put together. You might also check Tractor Supply Company if you have one around you (if that's not where you are looking already). They sell a bunch of truck boxes, have some Weatherguards, and are usually pretty good on prices.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a weatherguard cross bed, and they are a bit more $$ than the others, but IMHO, well worth it.

Dry as a bone in there through rain, sleet, snow, more rain.

phox
Old 03-07-2007, 05:20 PM

All we buy at work are weathergaurds. They are top of the line.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:21 PM

I had a weathergaurd crossbed box for @8 years. It was the best tool box I ever owned until an idiot trying to hook up a trailer ran the hitch into the box and bent the heck out of it as well as my tailgate on my 2000 Chevy gasser! claimed his foot slipped off the brake. It was always dry and it was easy to keep shut, unlike its replacement that I have to also stand on top of the lid to get it latch shut! It will be money well spent and they hold their value down the road. Good luck with your choice.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:35 AM

I have a Weatherguard and it's always been dry inside...closes/locks easily & positively.
See here....it's WG664-0-01
http://www.weatherguardbox.com/main_..._guard_box.htm
Old 03-08-2007, 11:51 AM

Weatherguard is top notch deflecta shield makes a pretty good push button box also
Old 03-08-2007, 02:07 PM

I wouldve bought a weatherguard, but here in AZ, theres no need to spend the xtra $200 bones on one. Next best thing i found was a delta pro series box and have no compaints!

If in a wet environment though, weatherguard wouldve been what i used.

If youre looking at saving some money, theres other alternatives besides the porkchopper's like these: