Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Tire shine spray

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire shine spray

Does any one know the truth about this stuff....Ive only heard it sucks the life out of tires, increasing crackink and drying of the tires. Lets hear some input. Thanks guys
Old 02-09-2006, 12:13 AM
Banned

That's a new one on me. I personally don't use it because it has a habit of slinging on to my paint and the last thing I need is more stuff slinging on my paint.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:19 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Collects dust.....
Old 02-09-2006, 07:48 AM

I've always used it on my cars and trucks but I don't just leave it on I wipe the tires down after spraying it on. never had any issues with dry rotting and the tires come clean easier at the wash.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
one problem is folks put it on "show cars" and don't drive them.

the truth is, and you know this, but don't realize it, any tire that sits will dry rot.

on another forum, some guy who worked at a tire company, said that the outer surface evaporates all the stuff they put in to keep the rubber pliable.

when you drive the car, the sidewall flexes, and the oils/lubricants in the tire come to the surface, and replenish the outer surface.

so if it sets (like a trailer) it "rots" which is just drying, shrinking, and pulling apart of the rubber.

FWIW, i use that stuff more often than anything. i've used it on ~20 cars i've had.
it's only way to get "flex loom" to look good for car shows.

i use Castrol purple cleaner on wheel wells (pulls dirt out) then Tire Foam the wheel well liners, under the hood, on the door sills, bumper trim, the air dam,
mirrors (cover windows)

i've never noticed it to "cause" cracking.

i have heard of folks letting Armor All "pool" on their dash, and that will soak in, and cause a big lump..i did that twice....on two cars that had never been cared for, tried to put one too much at once.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Brake fluid works good if you don't sling it all over the paint.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:53 PM

i worked at a car wash (waiting till the laughing stops) and we just used plain old armorall. works good never made my tires crack or wear. I did it once a week.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:56 PM
Administrator

I buy some special tire dressing stuff from a dealer in Richmond (Commodore Sales). I use it on tires and plastic stuff and it works real well. Dresses up tractor tires real nice for the shows too.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat=500&page=1
Old 02-10-2006, 02:36 AM

At the old napa back home, they had some stuff in a big yellow aerosol can that worked wonders. Its been a few years ago that I used it, but it stayed on the tires for 2 weeks or more, even through rain. I always forget the name of the stuff, and cant seem to find it anymore(napa at home has now been turned into a hardware/auto parts-aka oil only nearly-store). If I ever do, I'm going to buy a few cans of it, it is also good to use under the hood(I think thats what its actually made to do, but it said something about tires, and tried it, and it worked).

I've never had tires start to crack from using this stuff, although I have heard it makes them do this. I went through quite a few sets of tires on my old gasser though, so I know that if the tires cracked, it wasnt because of dry-rottedness, haha.