3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tell Me I'm Crazy! To Spray or Not to Spray!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 09:53 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell Me I'm Crazy! To Spray or Not to Spray!!!!

Alright guys heres the deal im wanting to see 12.99 at diesel nationals with nothing but programing and a fuel box with added help of nitrous. No other mods on the truck times are about the same as whats in my sign and so are the truck mods. Stock airbox,Trans, exhaust not straight piped nor cat removed,tubro, injectors,cp3, and fuel system all stock. I am willing to remove weight. I am just trying to find the limits on a budget, before all the good go fast parts get ordered. I am pushing 42psi on stock turbo, and rail pressure is at a constant 26-27k psi so im good in that department. Can the turbo and trans. take any nitrous? I know a .124 will get me what I want to see if these parts will take the beating. What size do you guys recomend if any? This will be a one time only deal not everyday or everyweekend use. Let me here your thoughts.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure how you're launching to get that mid-13, but as you know boost is good for digging your way out of the hole.

Pills are cheap enough that you should keep a set on hand for swapping trackside - start smallest to biggest until smoke clears; how are you planning to hit the stage(s)?
Injecting pre-CAC?

I wouldn't think twice about one-time use in moderation for a mostly stock truck, but be careful how you set-up the programmer & box with the gas so they play nicely.

You Spray - You Pay!
Old 09-28-2007, 10:28 AM
Banned

My programer and module stack play very well together one timing and duration with minimal pressure and the other all pressure. And I was thinking along the lines of only a progressive single stage shot that way im not sending a sudden shock at my turbo and flexplate. For that 13.422 pass i was only able to get 8-10psi my converter has since loosened up and I can make up to 28psi at the line. Launches so dang hard im suprised my flexplate is still in one piece. I havent been back to the track since I found out how much boost I can leave with, but im curious.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you using a Hobbs switch to initiate the solenoid?
Old 09-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CReed
My programer and module stack play very well together one timing and duration with minimal pressure and the other all pressure. And I was thinking along the lines of only a progressive single stage shot that way im not sending a sudden shock at my turbo and flexplate. For that 13.422 pass i was only able to get 8-10psi my converter has since loosened up and I can make up to 28psi at the line. Launches so dang hard im suprised my flexplate is still in one piece. I havent been back to the track since I found out how much boost I can leave with, but im curious.

You gonna be in Houston to race?
Old 09-28-2007, 10:33 AM

The turbo will handle it, the trans might hate you for those couple of runs.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:44 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you spray it you are most likely going to blow right through that converter. A 12.99 is alot to ask from your stock parts. If you are seeing 46psi out of your turbo now, chances are it will go POP when you hit the spray.......Good luck
Old 09-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Banned

NO i am only seeing 42psi out of my turbo. And I dont have any nitrous on it yet, just wondering if it would be worth it or not. And yes I will be in baytown for texas diesel nationals.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:57 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, even at 42psi if you spray it a good chance it will go POP.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Banned

Thats kinda what i was thinking that it MIGHT grenade but then it may not. The few people I have talked to about this outside of DTR seem to think that the 12.99 pass is possible one time only!!!!
Old 09-28-2007, 11:29 AM

If you ran your previous time with a 10psi launch and are saying that you are going to be doing a 28psi launch - that alone might gain you the 4 tenths. It might also snap your input shaft - resulting in a much higher e.t.

The effects of the nitrous on the turbo are not usually due to the overall increase in power. The problem is a sudden increase in power from the nitrous kicking in and putting a greater instant load on the thrust bearing. That info is from HTT by the way. If you can set it up with enough progression, you should be able to eliminate that effect. Aside from that, the failure due to overspinning the turbo is caused over time - not an instant failure due to overspeed (unless it's something crazy which we aren't talking here). How much more boost will you see due to the addition of nitrous - I don't know. But if you see 50psi our of it, I doubt it will fail on the spot unless it already has serious damage - which it shouldn't at 42psi. Not to say that 50psi isn't detrimental to the turbo - because it is over time - but it most likely won't fail on a few runs.

The other thing to keep in mind here with your "budget" plan, is that you are doing damage and costing yourself more money in the long run. $2000-$3000 spent on a healthy tranny will hold a lot of power. After you trash it by beating it without those upgrades, you are looking at $4000+ just to have the same thing you could have had for $2-3k. And if you uprgrade from a the stock turbo while its good, it's worth $300-400 used. If you blow it up, not only is it not worth anything, you take the risk of damaging the engine. My dad blew up a used 62/12 he bought (found out later it had been abused with a large shot of nitrous) and ended up with a rod knocking in the engine.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:43 AM
Banned

Omaharam thanks good info. I was planning on a single progressive stage to keep down the shock effect on my turbo, input shaft, and flexplate. I think my trans. I believe will hold it or atleast one pass as I do have a lockup on the truck which helps alot.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:23 PM
Banned

man... I'd say you're pushing your luck. You may be able to do it but, at what cost ? You shouldn't need NX to get into the 12's anyway.

TS performance had 2 of their trucks at Commerce running low 13's and high 12's all day. The trucks were completely stock except for the trans which was built.

They were running a Diablo Predator / MP-8 stack for electronics. One was a 03 and the other a 06.

I don't think your trans is going to hold up to anywhere near a 28psi launch. Heck, I wouldn't even want to try that with my completely billet trans ! You're gonna drop something. I've seen built trans break at much less boost. NX will also raise cylinder pressure so that's something else to watch out for using it.

I imagine you're gonna try though in Houston so, the best of luck to you.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by CReed
Omaharam thanks good info. I was planning on a single progressive stage to keep down the shock effect on my turbo, input shaft, and flexplate. I think my trans. I believe will hold it or atleast one pass as I do have a lockup on the truck which helps alot.
That lock up may help against slippage, but it makes it more likely that you will break a hard part. i.e. shaft, flexplate, etc. I know there are a lot of guys adding the lockup switch, but there is a reason DC has the tranny shifting while the TC is unlocked. We're not talking 4or5 hundred lb-ft of torque here. Even an aftermarket builder like Goerend recommends that you don not allow the tranny - including a built one - to shift while the TC is locked.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:35 PM

Sounds like you might be going for broke. You might as well run some sort or nozzle up at the intercooler (I/C) to also cool down the intake charge by cooling down the I/C.

Quick Reply: Tell Me I'm Crazy! To Spray or Not to Spray!!!!