Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

my dishwasher died-NO NOT MY WIFE

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my dishwasher died-NO NOT MY WIFE

the automatic kind. it turns on and fills with water, but when it comes to the wash cycle it just sits there and doesnt wash. i thought maybe the drain was clogged but no dice there. does anyone know anything about dishwashers or should i just toss it and buy a new one? i was hoping it'll be somehting quick and easy and i can A. not spend a bunch of money and B. deal with the near-biblical pile of dishes
Old 07-25-2008, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same thing for us last year. I went to Consumer Reports to get a listing on some good dishwashers. We didn't go to the top of the line but pretty close. Used the Consumer report as something to compair to. I believe it was the GE Profile line. It cleans excellent and quiet as a mouse. The noisiest part of the cycle is when the water drains in the sink. Get a new one! IMO .
Old 07-25-2008, 11:07 AM

It is usually the switch that tells it what to cycle next. It takes some checking. Some diswashers have a wiring diagram inside and a brief discription of what should happen. Usuall have to take a cover off. It may be a simple fix like a disconnected or corroided wire. Replacing the switch is not hard, but can be pricey, depending on the make and model.
You might be able to find the information on line.
Good luck/
Old 07-25-2008, 12:02 PM

Pop the bottom front panel off and try to turn the motor over manually with a screwdriver or the sort. Maybe something with a plastic or rubber handle if you like and then try it again. I had to do that once on ours. It would fill but that was it. It worked for another year and then we sold the house so I don't how long it worked after that. An old repair guy told me to do it to ours and it worked. If it isn't the motor just "hung" up then probably a switch for the cycles like said above.

Good luck.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:48 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have the belt driven type and "she" works great for being 7 years old

Just kidding. She makes a mess so I use the actual dish washer.

My buddy had the same thing happen and it was a bad motor. It was almost as much $$ to fix as to replace. He just replaced.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:10 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

unfortuneately for the maytag men, much of our life has become disposable.
you replace a major appliance, you dont repair them. Its tough to justify a repair on a 10 year old appliance when a replacement is almost the same cost.
Even vehicles are getting pretty close to that way. Major engine work or transmission work is usually close to replacement of the engine or transmission and maybe 1/2 to 1/3 of the cost of a comparable vehicle. (this applies mostly to cars)
Old 07-25-2008, 06:20 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

If it has a ****, turn it and see if it will even pump water out the drain hose. If it don't do anything, either a bad motor, switch, or a corroded/broken wire(s).
Old 07-27-2008, 03:04 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Yup, as has already been sort of said. Disconnect hoses and blow through them. Wiggle wires, thump on the motor and elect connectors. If it still doesnt work, get a new one.