Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Lookinf for Shop/Garage info....

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 10:09 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Ok....you're all starting to make sense.....
Old 01-17-2017, 03:19 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I used to own a company that built light aircraft hangars some 40x40 some much larger. the 40x40 were the most reasonable to build and some had full width bi-fold overhead doors but not a single one had in floor heat because you don't store an expensive aircraft in hi humidity conditions, corrosion is a killer and that's why old aircraft are flown to the desert for storage. At the farm we heat our shop with an old heavy duty 50 gallon steel drum laid on it's side with 4 legs, a hole in one end for a door like a wood burning stove with a dampener, and a hole in the top rear for a chimney. Just saying.. if wood is free that's the way to go.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love the heated floor in the shop at home. Best investment ever. Can pull barbie's suv in full of snow and the next day the suv is clean and the floor is dry. Even if you don't hook it up, consider putting the tubing in the floor now and hooking it up at a later date. If you are going to put a lift in, just don't put the tubing where you would be anchoring the lift to the floor. I built some boxes while laying the tubing so i wouldn't forget where the lift would be. 14 ft door, 16 ft ceiling, 4' of concrete above grade are all great ideas. Don't forget to insulate the heck out of it. And maybe throw an exhaust fan in the wall, not that we would ever run our trucks inside...
Old 04-12-2017, 09:16 PM

Well I have been working on getting all my ducks in a row, and starting the permit process....still have frost in the ground, and weight restrictions on the roads so be another month or so before those are lifted. Anyway been talking with the planning dept, and inspectors trying to find out what's allowed, what's not, and all the other things that are required to build.

Bunch of the answers to my questions has caused me to have to re-think some of my previous ideas.

I was hoping to be able to build a pole barn type shop, but they have removed that style of shop/garage from their approved list....so I have to build a frost/foundation wall that is at least 54"...as well as I have to have special engineered drawings and structure if I build a shop with stud walls taller then 12'...if I do build taller then 12' then large stud walls and additional supports in the trusses are required as well. So with all this it has dictated I build the shop closer to the house, since with the rules for the foundation I would have to build a driveway, level and grade the area and bring in material for the foundation wall to be built upon, additional drainage and culverts might be required as well.....since very little of our acreage is flat. So might be looking at a 32x48, or a 40x48 size shop now.

For The radiant floor heating is no problem, just have have vapor barrier, then a minimum R12.5 rigid insulation, then tubing, then the concrete, and then have to apply for a outdoor boiler permit when I get to that point. Also have to have an engineered drawing with pad/location, and below ground structure, for the hoist as well. I asked about a wood burning stove to heat the shop....huge requirements for that....has to be raised off the ground to protect from tipped chemicals and allow proper airflow, also have protective posts so you can't accidentally drive into it etc. So guess overhead natural gas for now, or perhaps a propane fired heater until I get the boiler....will have to see what the cost comparison is, might be a boiler is cheaper in the long run?

So that is where I am at now.....still jumping through the hoops.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Wow, and I thought we were bad.............. Did you ask them for permission to go to the bathroom while you were at their offices?

It wouldn't surprise me if it isn't a requirement given the rest you describe...........

I had to get a building permit and have the Electrical rough in inspected......... I hid the roughed in plumbing, they would have had a cow.

Canada isn't for me.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
Wow, and I thought we were bad.............. Did you ask them for permission to go to the bathroom while you were at their offices?

It wouldn't surprise me if it isn't a requirement given the rest you describe...........

I had to get a building permit and have the Electrical rough in inspected......... I hid the roughed in plumbing, they would have had a cow.

Canada isn't for me.
Was thinking about why they would not allow the pole barn style garage/shop set-up, and perhaps I have come upon the reason. The price I pay for my permits is based on the overall "finished" cost of the shop, since having to pour a concrete foundation my end costs will be significantly higher....thus more money in their pockets.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:39 PM

Well after much pondering and consideration I plan on doing the shop properly with a frost wall foundation. It's going to be 32x48 with 14' walls. I may not be installing the heated floors though, since again it turns out it has to be engineered and a contractor has to install it, which equals 10x's the cost of what I could do it for myself.

After more discussions with inspectors I will be installing a free standing wood burner stove for heating, and will insulate the heck out of the shop, code only calls for R5 for the walls and R30 for the ceiling, so will probably go with R30 for the walls and probably R48 for the ceiling. The added cost to upgrade the insulation is minimal, but has big returns on heating.

But on a positive note I listened to a members advice and have been watching for used garage doors. I had a local garage door company price out two 12x12 insulated overhead doors, installed and taxes would be about $8K!! Well I found a local demolition company that recently removed a bunch of insulated (with windows) overhead doors from a demo site, so I picked up a 16x12 for the front of the shop, and a 11x12 for the rear...all tracks and hardware for $1200!! I could have gotten the big power assist assemblies, but they were 3hp, 3phase and 240volt units, and I had already decided I will be installing manual chain hoists for the doors. The chain hoists are about $160 each brand new. So should be into both door with some seals and misc hardware for about $2000.....pretty happy about that.

Been trying to find a contractor to give me a price on concrete, and possibly framing as well....everyone is booked up solid and after almost 2 months of calling and playing phone tag I just met with someone today. Hope to get a price from them in the next day or so.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:44 PM

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,577 Posts
Sorry to hear you can't do your own radiant floor heating system.
I take it you received the pictures I sent last week, for the manifold I built for mine?
Old 06-02-2017, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Been trying to find a contractor to give me a price on concrete, and possibly framing as well....everyone is booked up solid and after almost 2 months of calling and playing phone tag I just met with someone today. Hope to get a price from them in the next day or so.
Just out of curiosity, do they prevent you from doing your own concrete work as well? It really isn't that tough, we did my 40 X 60 in 2 pours of 20 X 60 each day and we just had 4 of us.

At least around here, concrete contractors think you are gonna put their kids through college on your single job.