Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

How to give away animals?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to give away animals?

I've got two 8 month old registered lemon beagles that I have made the tough decision to give away. I bought these dogs 8 months ago for my daughters, and things aren't working out (ie daughters no longer have any interest in dogs). I'm trying to decide which is the best path on how to give them away. I was thinking about going with the Beagle rescue sites, but don't know if I qualify, because they really aren't being rescue'd. I don't want to post a "Free Dog" ad in the newspaper unless I have to. I'm more concerned with them going to a loving home than getting rid of them quickly. Does the pet shelters have any programs to assist in this? What about organizations like the SPCA ? Can they help as well?

I feel really bad the way this turned out. My family was not ready for dogs and I really feel bad for the little fella's for not putting them in an environemnt that they deserve to be in. Therefore, I want to make sure I put forth 100% effort and find them the best home possible for them. But not being a dog owner before, I'm simply not sure what my options are. Can someone point me to an agency/organization that could help me out?
Old 08-19-2005, 10:15 PM

my family raises beagles.my father is a well known field trial beagler.what he does when he gets ready to get rid of culls,is run an ad in the paper for buy 1 get 2 free ..sounds crazy,but people just cant pass up a deal..........im not sure on any agencies,have you contacted the local humane society on assistance?.....................bama
Old 08-19-2005, 10:17 PM

bama, no I have not. I guess I have equated (Humane Societe == Put to Sleep) and thus have not explored that option. Maybe my guess is wrong. I'll try and call them and see.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:23 PM
Banned

Humane Society = No Kill, only your county shelters are killers.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:53 PM

BBD: In our area I was told that it is not a good idea to give a dog away to a stranger. Many of them are taken directly to labs where the person is paid for the animal. I hope this is not true, but wouldnt doubt it either. I would never give an animal away unless I new for certain that they would have a good home.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:07 AM
Banned

First hand experience, NEVER ADVERTISE AN ANIMAL AS FREE. It's scary the people that respond to these ads. I even had people wanting them that wanted me to deliver them, I asked them how they thought they could care for an animal if they couldn't even pick it up. That just ****** them off. Even if you just put $20 on it, it keeps the scum away.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:04 AM

too bad your not closer, i know several folks around here that hunt with beagles. they would be glad to have them i'm sure.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:58 AM
Administrator

I volunteer for a Doberman Pinscher rescue and see dogs surrendered to the rescues quite frequently because their family wasn't ready for a dog. Simply because your dogs aren't "rescue cases" doesn't mean the rescue would turn them away. It wouldn't hurt to contact a Beagle rescue to help you advertise that the dogs are available to good homes. If the rescue doesn't have space to foster them, you could offer to keep the dogs until a suitable home was found, ensuring that they're well cared for and safe. If you need some help finding some rescues in your area, let me know and I'll see what I can dig up.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:25 PM

Guys, thanks for all the comments. At this point, I am in the process of working with some Beagle rescue organizations. I will be keeping the dogs while the Beagle rescue sites help find new owners.

99 Cummins, the very reasons you stated is why I am hesitant about listing them in the paper.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:59 PM

too bad your not closer i wouldnt mine a beagle
Old 08-21-2005, 12:35 AM

BBD,

It is admirable that you are trying to do the right thing. Not such a common thing any more. Thank you on behalf of the pups. (If we didn't already have a house full of dogs and cats, I'd bring them onboard).

PISTOL