Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Help with my swimming pool

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 08:09 PM
TJE

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Help with my swimming pool

Hello everyone. I have a question about my swimming pool…hoping someone can help me.

Here is the problem. The pool is up and running fine in the Summer…you go to back wash it, and then you try to start to filter the water again, and there is no suction at the skimmer…it is what one pool guy told me vapor locked. What causes this and how do I avoid it?

Thanks, Tony
Old 03-08-2008, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello,

You have a air leak in the suction side of the system. Air is entering thru a fitting joint or possibly a crack. Is your stainer lid at the pump clear. If it is you will likely see air pockets air bubbles thru the lid. First run water from your hose slowly over your exposed pluming to see if you can affect the air in the strainer. Hopefully you can find the air leak. A leaky threaded fitting at the filter valve or pump connection is the most likely culprit. It is important to understand that these loose fittings do not leak water as they are on the suction side of the pump. Correct as needed.

Some installers screw up and install the equipment uphill of the pool. A 2 foot difference is enough on some systems to cause long term headaches. You will need to lower the equipment if this is the case.

If you are unable to find the air entry point it may be underground. How old is the system.? Has any repairs been recently performed? A short term remedy is to very quickly change from backwash to filter modes. This will minimize the time for air entry. The problem has no relation to a vapor issue of any kind. Simple air leak or improperly raised equipment relative to water height.

Damon
Old 03-08-2008, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air leak was my first thought also.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:15 PM

Brrrrrr. It's 15degrees out here and your talkin pool talk. =-)
Old 03-08-2008, 09:33 PM
TJE

Originally Posted by mopardamo
Hello,

You have a air leak in the suction side of the system. Air is entering thru a fitting joint or possibly a crack. Is your stainer lid at the pump clear. If it is you will likely see air pockets air bubbles thru the lid. First run water from your hose slowly over your exposed pluming to see if you can affect the air in the strainer. Hopefully you can find the air leak. A leaky threaded fitting at the filter valve or pump connection is the most likely culprit. It is important to understand that these loose fittings do not leak water as they are on the suction side of the pump. So I need to look at the connection between the pump, and the actual filter? Correct as needed.

Some installers screw up and install the equipment uphill of the pool. A 2 foot difference is enough on some systems to cause long term headaches. You will need to lower the equipment if this is the case.

If you are unable to find the air entry point it may be underground. How old is the system.? Has any repairs been recently performed? A short term remedy is to very quickly change from backwash to filter modes. This will minimize the time for air entry. The problem has no relation to a vapor issue of any kind. Simple air leak or improperly raised equipment relative to water height.

Damon
I dont' know how old the system is but it was inspected before I bought the house. I did have a pool guy and he never had this problem...just to darn expensive.

Brrrrrr. It's 15degrees out here and your talkin pool talk. =-) It keeps the mind off of the nasty weather.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:42 PM

Hello,

I misspoke. The connection at the filter is not the issue. Sorry.

So it is NOT the connections between the pump and the filter. Any connection prior to or at the pump is the cause. The inspection likely did not include a pressure test and would not typically pick up this problem if done by your building inspector. When I did pool service most all of the service guys did not give a darn about anyones pool.

Your skimmer, main drain or any other lines that bring water to the pump are the culprits. It is these lines that need checking.

Damon
Old 03-09-2008, 07:46 AM

I had a similar issue last summer. It turned out that my multi-port valve was sucking air. I replaced the valve, problem solved. I probably could have replaced the seal in the valve, but the valve was pretty old so I replaced the whole thing.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:33 PM
TJE

Hello,

I misspoke. The connection at the filter is not the issue. Sorry.

So it is NOT the connections between the pump and the filter. Any connection prior to or at the pump is the cause. The inspection likely did not include a pressure test and would not typically pick up this problem if done by your building inspector. When I did pool service most all of the service guys did not give a darn about anyones pool.

Your skimmer, main drain or any other lines that bring water to the pump are the culprits. It is these lines that need checking.

Damon
Okay what you said makes sense, but brings a question to mind. If the lines coming from the pool to the filter are the problem, then shouldn't during the winter when the pump is off those lines leak water?
Just trying to understand, Tony.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:36 PM
TJE

Originally Posted by prattman
I had a similar issue last summer. It turned out that my multi-port valve was sucking air. I replaced the valve, problem solved. I probably could have replaced the seal in the valve, but the valve was pretty old so I replaced the whole thing.
uhhhhh...would you explain what the multiport valve is? I'm assuming it is the valve with the filter, backwash, reverse, etc,etc. Am I correct?

As you can see I don't know anything about pools.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:15 PM

Yep that's the one. I have a Hayward DE filter on my inground pool. The multi-port valve connects my two skimmer lines together which then connect to the pump. You turn the multi-port valve to single port to vacuum and block the other skimmer for maximum suction. I had a slight air leak on the seal of the plastic shaft for the multi-port valve. The pump would not suck any water from the skimmers. Replaced the valve problem solved.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by TJE
Okay what you said makes sense, but brings a question to mind. If the lines coming from the pool to the filter are the problem, then shouldn't during the winter when the pump is off those lines leak water?
Just trying to understand, Tony.
Hello,

They can if the leak is below winterizing water level. Many times the leak only occurs under suction. In most situations the leak is above ground and it is very likely in your case due to the rapid loss of prime.

Just realize you said that the filter is before the pump. That is odd? and may be a second problem. All filters are push thru to my knowledge. A pull thru filter will add to loss of prime problems. Get your filter model number and check the pipe routing with the manufacturer. I just checked their site and did not see any filter that is allowed to be plumbed prior to the pump. This needs further investigation.

Damon
Old 03-09-2008, 08:56 PM
TJE

Hello,

They can if the leak is below winterizing water level. Many times the leak only occurs under suction. In most situations the leak is above ground and it is very likely in your case due to the rapid loss of prime.

Just realize you said that the filter is before the pump. That is odd? and may be a second problem. All filters are push thru to my knowledge. A pull thru filter will add to loss of prime problems. Get your filter model number and check the pipe routing with the manufacturer. I just checked their site and did not see any filter that is allowed to be plumbed prior to the pump. This needs further investigation.

Damon
I'm sorry for the confusion. My filter is AFTER the pump. I have figured out so far by the replys that the problem is the pump is losing its prime. I know also when I had a pool service guy he never had any problems. He said the problem was me. I just want to get it figured out before Spring gets here.
Thanks, Tony
Old 04-08-2008, 01:55 PM

On the hayward filters I have had,, if you turn past waste after you backwash and you are slow turning the handle,, the water will drain back to the pool letting air get into the pump loosing its prime.
You sould go from filter to backwash,, never passing waste.

Another test for leaks is if you turn your pump off in the filter position and listen for gurgling and see if any bubbles form in the clear pump cover . If you dont have any air leaks , the water will stay in lines , pump and filter and you can start back up.. This test is good for all positions except waste.. If you filter has a clear dome you will also see the water level dropping inside the filter.
If your system has no leaks it should hold its prime for a long time. If the water is draining back to the pool quickly you have a big leak.

You know what a pool is? A big hole in the ground that you throw money into.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:05 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I was told never move the multi-port valve with the pump on, always shut it off to change positions. Backwash first until the glass bowl is clear then select "Rinse" (with the pump off). The rinse position seats the sand in the filter. I run it in rinse for about a minute or two, turn the pump off then select filter and turn the pump back on. There may be a shut off for the skimmer close to the pump if so you could try closing the skimmer before backflushing. This would rule out the multi vlv if it still drops the prime. The multi port valves are "delicate" and that is probably where your problem lies.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:20 PM
TJE

Thanks, guys I haven't had time to work on it in a while. I'll get back with you all.

Tony