Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Handgun???

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Handgun???

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to purchase my first handgun. I want a 9mm and am thinking a Glock 17 or a SIG P-220. Can you tell me the pros and cons of either one??

TIA,
JDF
Old 04-05-2005, 03:54 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't comment on the Sig, but the Glock 17 is the original Glock and it's a dandy. It is probably THE most popular Glock ever made. If you want something a little smaller, the Glock 19 is another good one and if you're looking for a subcompact the Glock 26 is a great gun for concealment.

The pros of a Glock are in its simplicity. A Glock handgun has only 36 parts. They are very simple to field strip for cleaning and if you have the need to break them down further then all you need is a small punch to do it.

Glocks are known for their reliability. When you pull the trigger they go boom. That is very important if you're looking at a gun for personal protection. The other side to that is this.....when you pull the trigger they go boom. There is no external safety device. Your safety is your trigger finger. People who can't seem to remember the rules of gun safety (one of which is to keep your finger off of the trigger until you are ready to fire) tend to get themselves into trouble with negligent discharges.

Basically, a Glock is like a good revolver except it holds 17+1 rounds (in the case of the G17) instead of 5 or 6 rounds. I highly recommend them.

Of course...if this is your first handgun you will probably want to enroll yourself in a class that teaches the fundamentals of shooting handguns and how to be safe with them.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Canadians can own handguns?

phox
Old 04-05-2005, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the reply Hoss. This will stricktly be a range weapon. So concealment is not an issue. We can get in trouble for that up here. Are reloads a no no with the glocks, a friend has a G22 and he had trouble with it jamming using reloads?
Old 04-05-2005, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by phox_mulder
Canadians can own handguns?

phox
We can but it is a PITA to do the paperwork. I have been jumping through the hoops.
I have been trying different weapons at the range and figure it's time to get my own.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:07 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it's strictly a range weapon then you can't go wrong with the Glock 17. It's a GREAT gun and 9 mm ammo is some of the cheapest you can find.

Reloads are not a problem with Glocks as long as the person reloading them knows what they are doing. What IS a problem with Glocks is using lead bullets (as in not full metal jacket). Because of the type of rifling in the Glocks, lead bullets that don't have a jacket will eventually foul up the bore and you will have an exploding Glock in you hands. If you want to shoot lead bullets there are aftermarket barrels available that will allow you to do so. Very few people shoot non-jacketed bullets though so this isn't normally a problem.

You CAN shoot lead with a Glock (even though the manual will tell you not to), but you have to BE SURE and clean the bore VERY well every time you do in order to prevent lead buildup.

By the way, I have a G22 and it has shot everything I've ever fed it without a single problem.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:51 PM

I have owned and shot many guns, everyone is different when it comes to them. Best thing to do is figure a few things out, a sig 220 (which I have) is .45, not a 9mm, atleast last time I checked. I think the 9mm is a p229. Anyways, here are the question, recoil? Does it bother you, if it does, don't get a 45. How many rounds do you want? A .45 will be 7 or 8 in the mag, and one in the pipe. A 9mm, you can hold 15 or more. I personally do not like .40, I can't shoot them for EDIT. My last service pistol was a .40 H&K compact. Could not hit the broad side of a barn. Got my trusty 220 back, 1/2 group of 4 shots at 25 feet.

People love glocks, I don't, can't stand them. I think they are junk! but that is because I have fired them before, some will say a p220 is way to heavy for a carry pistol. I disagree.

Best thing for you to do is figure what caliber then go to a gun range and test fire as many as they have there for loaners. I just did this last saturday with my wife. Got her first carry pistol, turned out to be a ruger p101 .357 mag. I wanted her to have a ladysmith. She did not like it and had a hard time shooting it. Anyways, test fire at a shooting range. We spent $8 for the range, $7.50 to fire all the pistols and $10 for 2 different caliber rounds, 357, and 9mm. Money well spent, and saved me about $250 from buying the ladysmith.

It is good to ask questions, but what is right for me, may not be right for you. We are all different.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:08 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Many round through the 226. Magazines have slammed the ground many times during training. Still feeds like new. No stove pipes. Fits like a glove.... that'll make it hard to peel out of my cold, dead, hand.

Oh yeah, Trijicon's are the way to go.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:12 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I vote for the Sig.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:28 PM

I have the G-21. A buddy has the P220. I prefer the glock and can shoot it better than the sig. Both are nice f/a. You should pick whichever fits your hand better and you can shoot better.

The sigs are slimmer than the glocks. The barrel is not as high (in relation to your hand, if that makes sense) in the glocks. So it seems to me to be less recoil with the glock over the sig. The single action of the sig is pretty nice.

I have put around 4k of reloads through mine. Loading hp's as they are more accurate than the practice ball ammo I was buying. And if you don't factor in your time they are cheaper!

Where were you planning of buying from CanauckCTD? You can sent me and email and I will let you know where the best place to buy from is.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:20 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Im going to vote for the Sig.
Since concealed carry isn't an option, have you looked into steel framed guns instead of synthetic. The steel framed guns I have shot seem more accurate and rigid. the synthetics absorb more of the recoil, but I haven't had much luck with them on accuracy. (50 to 100 yrd range).
Also, a less expensive alternative seen good results out of is the CZ brand.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:25 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Sig or Glock?

No real comparison there, Sig hands down is the finer weapon.

I am a licensed gunsmith, I own many hand guns, Glock isn't one of them
Old 04-05-2005, 07:27 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Yup, waiting to inherit the CZ-75 I got in Germany for my dad. Can you say "no import stamp?" Although it wouldn't be a safe ccw gun. Still the old Colt 45 style safety, they make them with trigger blocks and let downs now though, don't they?
Old 04-05-2005, 07:38 PM

The Glock is a Dodge and the Sig is a Chevy. I would go with the Dodge What I mean by that is the glock has no bells and whistles. The Sig has them all. De cocking lever safety,and Hammer. My only accidental discharge with a gun at a range was with a Sig. It was not mine and I was not familiar with it. If this is your only handgun everyone will agree that a revolver is the best for someone that shoots very little. I do not own a Sig but they are great guns. I do own a glock and people that say they are junk either are just turned off by the looks or have small hands. So when it comes down to it I guess by vote for your situation is a Glock.

Let the flames begin! Usta
Old 04-05-2005, 08:01 PM
Banned

only semi glock people will tell you the pro stuff and leave out the con stuff. these people tell it like it is.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

Quick Reply: Handgun???